The Planted Tank Forum banner

Very low tech Riparium

12K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  PaulG 
#1 ·
A 29G no tech Riparium. The inspiration comes from BigTom and Hydrophyte, owner of RipariumSupply, so a big thanks to them for starters!

I wanted to try something new, I wanted it to be cheap and at least fairly self sustaining. I don't mind the occasional feed or adding of ferts but I'd like to keep water changes to a minimum. I suffer from ME and I find them difficult on anything other than really small tanks. Plus I wanted the challenge of going El Natural.

Rocks, gravel and soil in. Around 1 inch of each.

Planters in.

A few plants to start.

Moved the peace Lilly...

Magnolia leaves from the garden still waiting to sink. All the plants are terrarium cuttings so I'm hoping they adjust to the lower humidity.

Any questions feel free to ask!

See less See more
#2 ·
My magnolia leaves dissolved in one week! My Indian almond leaves and oak leaves are going on a year now with minimal breakdown...

Simple, but great looking tank! I have wanted to do a rip for some time now, but I have no more tank space in my lab...

Did I miss the size of this tank?

#11 ·
So unbelievably happy, impressed and surprised with this tank. I'm waiting for something to go wrong!

Overview:

Images from left to right:

Riparium section from left to right:

Philodendron scandens (big broad leaves)

Asclepias curassavica (tall plant)

Rotala rotindifolia

Ludwigia repens

Hygrophilia polysperma

Cyperus isolucladus (tall plant, may stems)

Hydrocotyl vulgaris (little round leaves, also floating bare rooted)

Vesicularia dubyana (java moss, tucked in there somewhere)

Fittonia albivenis (red leaves)

Spathiphyllum sp. (peace lilly, not sure which species)

Pilea cardieri (back right, white and green leaves)

Ludwigia natans

Pellonia repens (climbing out of the tank far right

Aquatic section:

Sagittaria subulata

Vesicularia dubyana

Bacopa Sp.

Cryptocoryne moehimannii

Cryptocoryne Sp.

Bacopa amplexicaulis

Hygrophilai polysperma

Ignore the silicone will be covered in plant growth. A few more species to add, looking for other Pilea species and possibly some hairgrass.

#21 ·
I do have some plants in the middle, they're just growing real slow. A shame because I'd have liked the emersed section to be a little more even looking in by now.

Have moved and trimmed a few parts that were overgrown so maybe considering some more species to hurry it up

Added some E.tennulus down the front with some crypts, once they grow in I'm hoping it will start to look really sweet.

Still no fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.