The Planted Tank Forum banner

Canister Filters for a Serious Newbie

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Momotaro 
#1 ·
Hi All,
First I've learned so much from this forum and I want to thank you all.
I've a 45 gallon tank with high lighting and automated pressurized CO2 system. The plants are doing great and all is pretty much great. Even my algae problems are pretty much gone. Yeah!
I am thinking of switching to a canister filter (Rena Filstar XP2) instead of the bio wheel I have. I have 5 angelfish and one pelco in there I'd like the improved filtration.
So--here's what I don't get about the canister filters..do I need a air stone...or is there enough oxygen already with the canister areation/biofiltration?
Sue in CT

#6 ·
No need for aeration with a canister!

the little eheim club really over plays eheims... my lfs has them, hates them,
The Ehiem users are just more enthusiastic! We love our equimpent, and we know it is the best! I wonder why your LFS hates them? I am sure they make plenty of money when they sell one. ;)

If I were to buy a Filstar, I would select the XP3 above the XP2. There is more room for media in the XP3, something the Rena users have failed to let you in on SueFru! Go bigger! Go XP3!

Mike

#10 ·
The Eheim ecco is another choice that would be worth the extra money over am xp. Mine works great, not one problem and super quiet. Even though its the cheapest model from eheim I think its great. Its really easy to use and setup. I have heard that the xp's leak and a shop that I go to will not order more after they sell the ones they have left. I go german made. They always make quality toys.

#14 ·
Ive never heard anyone knock the ecco. Of course a cracked o-ring would make one leak, but if your careful why would one crack. what makes them crappy? I like how easy the ecco is to use and I have not had any problems with it, although I have not had it long. Im sure the rena is good, but I have heard that they leak. This how I made my decision. I to believe in you get what you pay for. sorry for sounding biased.

#15 ·
Thanks all! I made a typo on the 45 gallons. I've a 55 gallon. Still, I'm sure you'll all say to go with the large is better canister. My confusion is no more and I'll let you know what I decide: to become a EHEIM pimp member or to join the other team. <LOL> I get a big kick of the fact that the same debate goes on with all the planted tank forums I surfed into.
Thanks again,
Sue in CT

#16 ·
What makes them crappy in some people's opinion is the fact they are sometimes tricky to open due to a negative pressure issue, which is caused by the design of the priming mechanism, however - the operation of the filter, flow rates, power usage, media holding capacity, price point etc etc are all great from reports I've heard. I haven't used them myself, but most people i've spoken to who have say they are a great filter and would buy them again (If you like, check the APD archives - you'll find a recent discussion on this topic). I also believe that Eheim don't make crap - but that's just a personal bias.
For my money, I'd definitely go for the 2224 (I echo Davo's sentiments about price - no pun intended). I now use Eheim cannisters on all bar 1 of my 6 tanks (which uses an internal) and LOVE them :proud: . If you must buy the Rena, I'd agree with Rex on the XP3 - the greater media capacity is generally better.
Fishboy, I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time with your Eheim reps over there. Here in Australia, our distributors have been nothing but excellent - the distributorship has just changed hands tho, so I guess we'll see how that goes.....
Now where's that Eheim pimps membership thread got too.... :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.