The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Ecoxotic E-Series Full Spectrum LED

19K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Dmarksvr 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Anyone planning on buying Ecoxotic's new LED light fixture??! What are your guy's thoughts??
Here's the link...http://www.ecoxotic.com/e-series-led.html
On paper it looks OK... at least they moved away from the smaller SMd's and are using 1W (well if there spec sheet is ok either over-driving or using 1.5W LEDS)

timer is fairly advanced.. and not just bells and whistles but functional (ramp up/down)..

At that price though, I'd be hard pressed taking it over a BML XB series..
w/ 2X PAR and same price... 45(3W) vs 30(1.?W) :icon_eek:

if it was like 200 plus change (using a 36" as a comparison).. it would be more appealing to my cheap nature.

#4 ·
Anyone planning on buying Ecoxotic's new LED light fixture??! What are your guy's thoughts??
Here's the link...http://www.ecoxotic.com/e-series-led.html
I'm thinking that I wish MarineDepot would get around to shipping me mine :)

Outside of all of the nifty features, I'm really interested in seeing how these compare heat-wise to the BML fixtures. I just replaced a DIY LED fixture with a BML and am having to scramble somewhat to dissipate the heat.

#6 ·
I will likely be using them in my vivariums. I don't think the satellite + had a "resume" feature did it? ...So you had to reset it back to whatever mode you had it on. Nor did it have the sunrise/sunset with automated transition to moonlight.

I plan on trying BML and probably their controller, but you gotta remember the BML controller is $109 on top of the cost of the fixture... and the multi channel fixtures will cost more.

The E-series comes with the ramp timer which is at least equivalent to the $60+ dual ramp timer current sells, and looking at the specs with the 4 channel control, and adjustable moonlight it seems more equivalent if not superior in most respects to the ramp timer pro which retails for $120 at marine depot, (but only 15min ramp on the e series timer instead of 30 on the pro).

Specs for the 3 ramp timer models priced roughly at, 35-40? for the single. 65-70ish for the dual, and around 120 for the pro... PLUS whatever the cost of the fixture you use them with.

VS

Now compare the BML 24" XB which costs $220 per fixture (the 12" is the one for $139) + $110 for the controller = $330 for your 24" fixture with sunrise/sunset (and Lighting mode that BML hasn't widely advertised)

Vs

$200 for the E-series fixture/controller combo in the 24"

In some cases the extra cost/power of the BML/controller combo may be justified... In other cases maybe not so much.

The closer comparison would be the standard BML 24" fixture/controller combo at 180 for the fixture + 110 for the controller = $290 vs the $200 for the 24" e-series. The par on the BML at 24" deep is 60 with 90 degree optics . The par on the E-series is 40 with 120 degree optics, (I'd guess that if the e-series had 90 degree it would be around 60 par at that distance:confused:).

BML has more optics options all of which are tighter then the e-series so it has more "punch" at greaer depth, but in some cases that 120 degree e-series is gonna be better for coverage and keep you from needing other lights to fill in areas... right?

Might be worth wild in some instances where you'd use multiple BML fixtures w/ controller, to substitute 1 or more of those with an E-series. Running each light/lights on separate controllers might open up some interesting possibilities:confused: ...or maybe if it's a shallow tank you'll be able to light it fine and do everything you want FX wise, for cheaper with the e-series?

So which is best for you? ...Hell if I know :iamwithst , but make sure you're factoring all the variables :icon_wink For some of us the FX with more power and better integrated ramp timer functionality vs the satellite +, with a price point between the + or +/ramp timer combo and the BML standard or XB/controller combos price point... will make all the difference :alien:

#8 ·
I will likely be using them in my vivariums. I don't think the satellite + had a "resume" feature did it? ...So you had to reset it back to whatever mode you had it on. Nor did it have the sunrise/sunset with automated transition to moonlight.
If they work out on the planted tanks, I want to put them on my vivariums as well. That's where I ran into the heat issue with BML -- I just tried one of their original series 10K planted to replace a DIY fixture (heat sink & crees) on one of my viv racks, and mounted at the same height over the vivs (about 3") temps went up about 3 degrees with the BML fixture. It was the top shelf on this rack, so I was able to raise it another 3", but I'm going to need to add cooling fans to use these on any of my lower shelves. Love the color rendition though. Be interesting to see how the plants (mostly broms and orchids) react. Frogs as usual could care less :)

Hopefully the Ecoxotics will run cooler -- would love to convert entirely over to them, remove all of my timers and repurpose the DIY fixtures to grow emersed plants in the garage.

#7 · (Edited)
IF there RGB spectrum is accurate.. it is a step up from other lights and nothing really comparable (BML still has power/spectrum advantage ).

That chart makes it look to be "deep red" (660nm) and Royal blue.. along w/ a green..

Not sure if that is marketing tweaking the graph or not.. I should be more trusting but.......

Actually that RGB chart has the blue "lower" than RB (less than 450)

Actually after reading the marketing blub.. I'm not holding my breath on 660nm red........ Oh well.. one nit.

#24 ·
#27 ·
Thank you OVT. Always great to hear from a senior member of TPT

Does this light have a dimmer option?
The Ecoxotic E-Series has a remote control that you can adjust each LED color setting and save it. It also has a 24 hour cycle dimmer LED control box compared to the Current USA satellite Freshwater LED Plus. Here is a spec sheet of the Ecoxotic E-series

#30 ·
I'd like to see it all getting more integrated, preferably without it costing a fortune. I'm in the process of building a new "conservatory" (frog room :) ) and would love to have a scheduled / on demand thunderstorm, integrating viv lighting, strobes behind the racks, audio and foggers. All of the component parts are available, but getting them all to happen from a single trigger would be a pain.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean like this? :)
http://www.elos.eu/productlines/lighting/planet-pro~64/products.html

#32 ·
I'd like to see it all getting more integrated, preferably without it costing a fortune. I'm in the process of building a new "conservatory" (frog room :) ) and would love to have a scheduled / on demand thunderstorm, integrating viv lighting, strobes behind the racks, audio and foggers. All of the component parts are available, but getting them all to happen from a single trigger would be a pain.

Do you mean like this? :)
http://www.elos.eu/productlines/lighting/planet-pro~64/products.html
I think that may fall into the 'cost a fortune' category :) I'd be happy with something like the Ecoxotic + a Lightning Effects system (like the Firefly) that could be triggered from an Apex. I'd like to be able to cover something like 40 linear feet of vivariums, so the cheaper the better.

#35 ·
They need more Red/Yellow in the spectra for those whites, like 2x as much, you can make up for it a bit with the RGB, but there's only 8 vs all the whites for the 48" version.

I've seen some other companies that got this right.
They also backed it up with more red pigment concentrations and growth rates with similar PAR using aquatic submersed plants.

In 1-2 years, I would say most planted LED's will be doing this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.