The Planted Tank Forum banner

Orange Neo deaths

811 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  eeng168 
#1 ·
My adult orange neo's are having trouble molting, but the babies are doing well. I tested the water again this morning and the results are:

Ph 7.2
GH 7 (drops)
TDS 185
0,0,0 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
Temp 73 degrees

The water is fairly stained because of the driftwood in there.

I feed every other day, primarily blanched organic spinach, barley pellets and the occasional Repashy.

What am I missing?

My Red Rili tank is the opposite, but the parameters are almost exactly the same with the exception of the tannins. In that tank, the adults are thriving, but the babies are not.

Orange tank has only a sponge filter. The Red Rili tank has a sponge and a mini HOB with a SS screen on the intake.

Any input would be appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like good parameters for Neos.

How often do you do water changes and how much do you remove? How long have you had the Orange and Red Rilis?

#3 ·
I usually change about 15-20% of the water weekly and top off when necessary.

I've had orange neos since last fall, but got more from Speedie earlier this spring. The Rili's I got earlier this year when they were babies. They've had babies of their own, but they didn't survive whereas the orange shrimp had babies and they're doing just fine.

I can't pinpoint what's going wrong. The last two orange adults that have died have a split across their shells like a molt gone wrong.

#12 ·
Have you tested for/removed copper? From what I have gleamed in my short time reading about these little guys it is a definite killer. If you have some but not a-lot it may be building up over time and hurting them? I don't know why, it was just something I focused on, I use a pad to remove it from my aging water before water changes and use cuprisorb for 8hrs/day in the tank in case some of my plant dosing has introduced some (which from my understanding, seachem adds miniscule amounts of copper in some of their liquid ferts...which I use). I have the cuprisorb in a 3rd filter which only runs for 8hrs/night with purigen. In the two filters that I run all day, only have fluval biomedia in them. Thats it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.