The Planted Tank Forum banner

"Sky Island"

13K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  OVT 
#1 ·
Hi everybody...I come from Vietnam, because k fluent in English, so this article if difficult to understand for everyone ignored, thank you.
Since like phim Avatar, so to determine the do this layout
Tank 60x30x36 cm
Lights 24w x 2 (10.000K)
Suptract: JBL Florapol 300g + 9L New ADA aquasoil
Filter: DIY:eek:
Co2: 2 drops / second.
Rocks,Eleocharis parvula,minitaiwan,wepping,moss,..
Red cherry

Firts up layout

Change..

socket traversal

completed

Thanks all to view

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not usually impressed by aquascapes, but that is #$%&*@& awesome.

#10 ·
funny, I was thinking of doing a concept similar to this, and I click here to find someone else has done it too! :D

my inspiration comes from avatar too, those floating islands on pandora. I was planning on using ADA Unzan stone, drill holes in them and set like an anchor of fishing line and suspend them from a lighting fixture arm.

very sweet scaping

#13 ·
the water fall effect is not hard i did it by accident one time i used sand substrate and had styro background and cut a chanel in the back of it for air line and an air stone. the air bubles made and updraft and pushed sand out the top and it fell down the front of the background only to have it done time and time again. i really should give it another try lol

#19 ·
You know what I was thinking would be the easiest, would be one of those acrylic frag racks they sell for reef tanks, it has a open grid pattern you could tie moss to easily. It has suction cups you attach to the back wall of the tank. When the moss grows out it would not be very visible, you could also add some rock/stone rubble no problem.

#20 ·
soon? come on.... i waited a year! LOL happy new year!

#28 ·
Hey, leave vhnam alone to keep his tricks! Why not figure it out on your own? I think that we demand answers when we should be spending more time figuring things out on our own. Just enjoy the illusion, and I can't imagine it would be that difficult to replicate this in your own tanks. ;)

#33 · (Edited)
cant you use like a transparent suction cup and more bouyant material + stone such that the stone does not 'collapse'? The suction cup can merely hold the stone in place to prevent moving. If the hardscape, what ill call it, is bouyant enough to stay afloat, then the suction cup which can easily be hidden behind should be able to hold the piece in place. Obviously if too high current or too large a surface area being perpendicular to the flow of water this will not be enough to hold the hardscape in place.

Potentially even use magnets? Like those koralia powerheads

#34 ·
In my case, the stone required to hold down the foam island was as big as the island itself.

Even if I could have attached the island to the suction cups more securely, I don't think I'd trust suction cups to not let go or slide up over time, at least those small enough to be inconspicuous. Magnets with a non-slip coating should work better. Lead or bismuth weights embedded in the island can cancel buoyancy with a size I've estimated at about 10X smaller than the foam, so easily concealed within.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.