The Planted Tank Forum banner

5 gallon bowfront

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  woodymdt 
#1 ·
I decided to setup my 5 gallon bowfront at the office again.

I have a Penguin mini biowheel filter on it that just keeps the water clean.

I put Flourite in as the substrate. I've never used it before but I've heard many good things about it. I rinsed it off and put it in and filled the tank, and the water is awful cloudy. Expected it, so I'm waiting for it to clear up a bit.

I also picked up two banana plants, five stalks of Wisteria, and an Acorus to start out with.

I'm going to stop by an LFS hopefully Thursday and pick out a small piece of lace rock that they sell that looks really cool, and put it in as well.

I won't stock much as far as fish. i'd like to try paradise fish but I'm not sure if I can keep more than 2 or 3 in that small of an environment.

Also, I'm going to put a few snails in and a couple shrimp, probably ghost shrimp.

#7 ·
hoffboy said:
Also, just because you CAN keep labyrinth fish in stagnant water doesn't mean you should. I mean, you can keep them in a Dixie cup too, but should you?
If the plants, terrestrial or aquatic, are sucking out the nitrates, what's the problem? Where can I get a 5 gallon dixie cup?

Also, it seems like labryinth fish evolved precisely so they can survive in stagnant waters.

#8 ·
hoffboy said:
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

Also, just because you CAN keep labyrinth fish in stagnant water doesn't mean you should. I mean, you can keep them in a Dixie cup too, but should you?

Well those are awful cute. That might just help me make my decision to keep one in the tank here at the office.

I just have to find a store around here that stocks them.

#10 ·
k_the_c said:
If the plants, terrestrial or aquatic, are sucking out the nitrates, what's the problem? Where can I get a 5 gallon dixie cup?

Also, it seems like labryinth fish evolved precisely so they can survive in stagnant waters.
I agree. I've seen pictures of people in asia collecting wild fish. Trust me, the flooded forest pools they caught bettas in didn't have filters, air pumps, or power heads. ;) Besides, if you keep up with water changes as you should, you won't end up with nasty water.

#11 ·
Darla said:
I agree. I've seen pictures of people in asia collecting wild fish. Trust me, the flooded forest pools they caught bettas in didn't have filters, air pumps, or power heads. ;) Besides, if you keep up with water changes as you should, you won't end up with nasty water.
Well, that's not entirely accurate, either, since the wild habitat is a pretty stable ecosystem.

In the end, we're just trying to simulate the ecosystems in an aesthetically pleasing way. As long as the water is clean, and the fauna can survive in the conditions, I'm not sure there's a problem.

#15 ·
Ok, the tank has been setup for just under 48 hours now. Most of the cloudiness is gone, there is still a haze in the tank, but I'm going to chang abotu 1/3 of the water today, I think that will help.

I put a 13W PC screw in bulb at 3500k. I think I'm going to try and find a bulb that will take me up to 6500 or 7000k, might have to order one online.

I cut the wisteria branches in thirds, and have placed them in the flourite. I let a few branches sit in a bucket of water overnight, and they grew a few root runners, so I'm putting them in the tank today.

I have a couple banana plants (not sure why, I just liked how they look) and the Cryptocoryne ciliata. The ciliata came undone a little, so now I have three sprouts in different places.

I'm going to take the Acorus out and take it home for my pond. But I need some thing to put in its' place.

I think I'll go to Petsmart at lunch and see if they have any red wendth or possibly an arrowhead, that would look good in that back corner as well.

#16 ·
Ok, back from Petsmart (I wonder why I even bother sometimes), but I did get eight stalks of Rotala for 1.99, and a small micro sword grass for 2.99, so it wasn't all bad.

Question: What do folks do with that glob of felt stuff that the plants are grown in? Put it in the substrate? Tear if off and plant the roots?

A lil' help here!! :icon_idea

#21 ·
Oh, I mentioned in a post couple days back, that I found three fry in what was the leftover of the tank when I tore it down about a month ago...well they seem to be doing very well now.

I've only found two of the three the last couple days, but the third one was very small, so he could be hiding anywhere and I wouldn't be able to see him.

Going to let them grow up some here, then I'll take them home to my 10 gallon community when they're in no danger of getting mistook for a piece of food.

:proud:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.