The Planted Tank Forum banner

mahko's Ohko Stone Journal

69K views 128 replies 43 participants last post by  styxx 
#1 · (Edited)
Full tank shot as of 2012-06-21

I lurked on here for a few months and thought I should start a journal for an iwagumi aquascape that I've had in my mind for a while.

Lets get right into it:

Tank: Mr. Aqua MA-720 (60x30x36cm)
Light: [STRIKE]2x24w T5HO Hagen Glo (2xLife Glo 6700k) 10" above tank[/STRIKE] 1x24w T5HO Sun Blaster 6400k
Filter: Eheim 2215
Glassware: Aquatic Magic lily pipes, NAG thermometer, ceramic diffuser
Hard scape: 20lbs Ohko stone / Dragon stone
CO2: Concoa 212 w/5lb tank, Clippard Mouse, AS1200 NV
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil New Amazonia 9L bag
Fertilizer: EI w/Plantex CSM+B (after dry start)
Stand: DIY 3/4" maple plywood ADA style w/bent 1/2" EMT conduit
Aquarium Mat: Everlast yoga mat cut-to-fit
Flora: Still deciding... HC carpet with maybe hairgrass backround
Fauna: Thinking of cardinal tetras with otos and amano shimp - open to suggestions

No pics of the build, but I followed several guides throughout this and other sites. I used Kregs pocket holes/screws and I would definitely use them again, highly recommended.

Here's the stand assembled unstained.

Stained with Minwax quick drying polyurethane clear satin. I put on 3 coats and sanded in between with 220 grit. Also rough measuring of the conduit. Way to tall.

Much better.

Got the lights to a height which I think should be high enough to avoid algae soup. Looking at the stickies I believe this puts me in the med-high area.

Close up shot of the hanging kit included with the light. Same loop on the top of the light. The Hagen has built-in, adjustable tabs to loop the wire though on the top of the fixture.

I could not find proper collars for the conduit which would give me some clearance from the tank so I improvised and used some left over plywood and made some spacers. Used some foam to add some support.

Inside shot showing the pocket screws.

Here's where I need some help... I tried a few layouts with the ohko stone and I'm not sure where I stand. I'll show a few just to get an idea.

5. Leaning towards this one.

Let me know what you guys think! I'm thick skinned, so criticisms are good too :)

See less See more
#98 ·
To the comment about clean rocks. I clean mine with a toothbrush as well. As you'll see in the next few pics, they get nice and green.

Here's a shot of the large trim I did. Siphoning out the water, Protecting fish/shrimp with the net.

After trim.

11 days later (today)

To help with algae... a new light fixture. Sun Blaster 1x24W T5HO 6400k. I decided that raising my 2x24w Glo fixture another 6 inches would be ridiculous. Can you say light spill?

I tried a 10000k bulb, but the colour was a little too blue. I bought the reflector as well, which snaps on easily. Total cost from my local hydroponics store was around $40 CAD. Bulbs are around $8, and if they only last 6months, it'll be still be worth it.

This is currently hanging about 6" above the tank = ~18" from substrate. I swapped it out a day or 2 after the trim and everything is growing great.

#99 ·
Very nice. I just did a cleaning/trimming today too haha. I just hope my HC carpet gets as good as yours.

+1 on the toothbrush. It's quite a lot of work though. I spend about 15-30 mins brushing the rocks during every water change 2-3 times a week. Have you have any issues with the rocks moving while you brush them? I don't think I packed my rocks in tight enough when I did my hardscape and the rocks move a bit which makes it harder to brush.

#100 ·
They rock back and forth when I brush them. It's a balancing act with the hose in one hand and the tooth brush in another, all while looking through the front of the glass to see what you're doing!

I'm considering another trim of the HC as it seems to be growing back too fast. Been about 2 weeks and it's looking thick already.

#101 ·
Whoa. Almost 6 months without an update.

As previously warned, the HC started to lift off the aquasoil in large sections and had to be either cut out completely or stuffed in the substrate with my finger. I think where I failed was keeping the HC trimmed enough. I kept leaving it grow thick and the bottom layers of plant were dying.

I trimmed the best I could and added some dwarf hair grass in the bald spots, as well as around the rocks. Pics tonight...

#102 ·
LOVE the tank mate! Just nailed it!

With the HC issue you have and trimming, I assume same goes for UG? I will make sure Im on top of the trimming to keep it squat. Although I do notice the UG grows right from the bottom of the substrate - see pic

does HC grow more on top of the substrate? Or in a simlar fashion to the pic of UG?

#105 ·
Full tank shot.

White foam core is slightly damaged when I was trimming it. I'm going to see about getting a blue to white gradient image and using that as a background.

Also the picture of one of the spots where the HC had dead undergrowth and floated up. DHG has been planted here and throughout the tank in 'bald' spots.

Attachments

#110 ·
Thanks all. I think when I rescape this tank (ETA undecided), I'll avoid HC and give glosso a try. It seems like it's a more manageable plant to maintain.

On second thought, I've been seeing some great white sand foreground scapes that have been catching my eye lately. Might just have to start another tank instead. Then there's the nano reef idea too...

#113 · (Edited)
Glosso has the same problem -- let it grow over itself long enough and eventually what's underneath will die off. While you can let glosso grow to over an inch thick before this starts to happen, you also have to remember that glosso grows MUCH faster than HC.

At the end of the day, it's still necessary to mow glosso down every 4-6 weeks (depending on how fast it grows in the tank) to keep it low, compact, and healthy.

Elocharis 'Belem' - I only have a few months worth of experience with this plant, but so far in my tank, I've been able to plant it and left it as is for several months without having to trim. I think due to its leaves being very thin, it takes a very long time to have it get dense enough to get anything shadowed. Like I said, I'm still new to this plant, but right now my opinion is it's much less work than HC or glosso.

#115 ·
Thick bushes of stem plants also involve similar repetitive work -- constant trimming make it grow "bushy". Just like with carpet plants, the thicker it gets, the bigger the chances of the bottom portions getting shaded and dying off.

The upside -- stem plants are usually just in "sections", and is MUCH easier to trim than any low carpet plant :)

#119 ·
I thought I saw someone use akadama inside a wabi kusa online. Turface is extremely similar, as well as cheaper ($20 for a 50 lb bag). I use it for bonsai as well and it seems to work great for that so I thought to give it a shot.

The hydrocotyle is taking well to the transition from submersed to emersed and the Rotala is starting to grow towards the light. This small project didnt cost much and I'm happy with the results so far.

#120 ·
thats what ive seen, as well as aquasoil. i didnt use anything in the three i did.. i may try using a bit of aquasoil now that i have it. we'll see.

its a great plant!! i used to have some but i stupidly sold it all :( i really wanna get some again, its great for all kinds of things!! i havent seen it for sale anywhere though :(

#126 · (Edited)
Thanks styxx. To be honest, it ended up being too much of a hassle to clean them every week. And I could never really get them that clean so I stopped altogether. The otos and amanos do a decent enough job with it. I also drop Excel on the rocks at each water 50% water change. Let it sit for 5-10 min in open air. Got that tip from Frank Wazeter's threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.