The Planted Tank Forum banner

New list of BANNED plants in Wisconsin

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hydrophyte 
#1 ·
Just copied this off of another group I belong to, credit to Brian J. Torreano. Most of the list does not pertain to us but more info is better than no info.

What I found interesting is the geographic bounderies for some of the banned plants ......... Huh? You mean I can grow them on this side of the fence but not on the other??:hihi:

From NANFA Forum:
Posted Yesterday, 09:53 PM
All,

As part of the Wisconsin DNR's Invasive Species Identification, Classification and Control Rule – NR 40, several plant species, some of which are common in the aquarium trade, are to be prohibited, effective September 1st, 2009. "Prohibited" meaning you cannot buy, sell, possess, transfer, raise, or otherwise "use" the species. Those species are:

1. Ampelopsis brevipedunculata (Porcelain berry) including the variegated cultivar
2. Anthriscus sylvestris (Wild chervil) except in Barron, Columbia, Dane, Milwaukee, Polk and Walworth counties
3. Bunias orientalis (Hill mustard) except in Green and Lafayette counties.
4. Cabomba caroliniana (Fanwort)
5. Centaurea solstitialis (Yellow star thistle)
6. Chelidonium majus (Celandine) north of state highway 64
7. Cirsium palustre (European marsh thistle) west of state highway 13 and south of state highway 29, excluding Door county
8. Conium maculatum (Poison hemlock) except Iowa and Grant counties
9. Crassula helmsii (Australian swamp crop or New Zealand pygmyweed)
10. Cytisus scoparius (Scotch broom)
11. Dioscorea oppositifolia (Chinese yam)
12. Egeria densa (Brazilian waterweed)
13. Epilobium hirsutum (Hairy willow herb) except in Kenosha county
14. Glyceria maxima (Tall or reed mannagrass) west of a line formed by state highway 22 from Oconto to Arlington, then state highway 51 from Arlington to the Illinois state line.
15. Heracleum mantegazzianum (Giant hogweed)
16. Humulus japonicus (Japanese hops) except in Grant and Crawford counties
17. Hydrilla verticillata (Hydrilla)
18. Hydrocharis morsus-ranae (European frogbit)
19. Lagarosiphon major (Oxygen-weed, African elodea or African waterweed)
20. Lepidium latifolium (Perennial or broadleaved pepperweed)
21. Lespedeza cuneata or Lespedeza sericea (Sericea or Chinese lespedeza)
22. Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle)
23. Lonicera maackii (Amur honeysuckle) north of state highway 21 from LaCrosse to Wautoma and state highway 22 from Wautoma to Oconto
24. Leymus arenarius or Elymus arenarius (Lyme grass or sand ryegrass) except in Door, Kewaunee, Manitowoc, Sheboygan and Racine counties
25. Microstegium vimineum (Japanese stilt grass)
26. Myriophyllum aquaticum (Parrot feather)
27. Najas minor (Brittle naiad, or Lesser, Bushy, Slender, Spiny or Minor naiad or waternymph)
28. Nymphoides peltata (Yellow floating heart)
29. Paulownia tomentosa (Princess tree)
30. Polygonum perfoliatum (Mile-a-minute vine)
31. Polygonum sachalinense (Giant knotweed)
32. Pueraria montana (Kudzu)
33. Quercus acutissima (Sawtooth oak)
34. Rubus phoenicolasius (Wineberry or wine raspberry)
35. Torilis arvensis (Spreading hedgeparsley)
36. Torilis japonica (Japanese hedgeparsley or erect hedgeparsley) north of the line formed by state highway 21 from La Crosse to Coloma, north on state highway 51 to Heafford Junction, east on state highway 8 to the Michigan state line
37. Trapa natans (Water chestnut)
38. Vincetoxicum nigrum or Cynanchum louiseae (Black or Louise’s swallow-wort) north and
east of a line formed by interstate highways 90 from La Crosse to Madison and 94 from Madison to
Milwaukee
39. Vincetoxicum rossicum or Cynanchum rossicum (Pale or European swallow-wort)

More information about NR 40 can be found at: http://dnr.wi.gov/in...classification/

The entire package regarding the legislation can be found at: http://dnr.wi.gov/in...eet_package.pdf

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters

See less See more
#3 ·
I suppose it could have been a lot worse. This shouldn't affect hobbyists too much. I think the DNR was working on this for a while. They have a list of banned fish too that isn't too bad, but has a number of species listings that I don't really understand.

I think that those within-state boundaries might be to keep stuff out of areas where it isn't so well-established. The huneysuckle Lonicera maackii, for example, is pretty thick here in the southern part of the state, but there is less of it Up North.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.