The Planted Tank Forum banner

man--she is gonna kill me

2K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  10gallonplanted 
#1 ·
Ive posted a thread previously about new tanks and my wife killing me---she is actually VERY understanding and loves the fact that my latest hobby keeps me at home vs. my previous hobbies.

Anyway, I may have overdone it today--Im going tonight to look at a 180g Oceanic setup and will probably purchase it. I just got 4 new tanks on Sunday :hihi:

I will be getting rid of at least 2 of those if I get this one though---just not enough room for all of those tanks. The 40B tanks ( x2 ) that I got will have to be replaced by this tank since it is 6 feet long it will fit perfectly where I was going to put the 2 40s.

So, now Im off to daydream about what I can put in a 180g tank. :help:

#3 ·
That is so cool, if I did that my parents would be the ones killing me. I already pissed them off just by having 5 aquariums... I was gonna ask to get a 20g in exchange of getting rid of (2) 10g... but I'm really scared, so I don't think I'm even gonna try. It would save space cuz by the time I move back I actually don't know where I'm gonna put the two 10g, they both won't fit in my room and the living room is pretty much full along with the TV room, so the best way to save room would be to get the 20g and get rid of the two 10s but...

Well anyways, good luck!! Maybe get her something she really always wanted in return, so she'll forgive you!

#31 ·
That is so cool, if I did that my parents would be the ones killing me. I already pissed them off just by having 5 aquariums... I was gonna ask to get a 20g in exchange of getting rid of (2) 10g... but I'm really scared, so I don't think I'm even gonna try.
Pitch it as saving room AND electricity! My pop would toally fall for the cost-savings angle.

#5 ·
When my wife comes home from work most days she'll ask me...

"How many tanks do you have and how many are operational?"

...I work at night so my daytime is free to setup or tear down tanks while she's at work. Literally she asks me that question 5 or more times a week. I tried the bigger tank to replace smaller ones but it didn't work on her and honestly I've found I prefer working with a smaller tank over a larger one.

#6 ·
Well it is a really good deal if it is in the condition they described--they want $200 for the tank, stand, filter ( unsure of what kind ) lights and CO2 setup. Almost any one part of that is worth the $200--so for all of it is an awesome deal.

#12 ·
ALL for $200? Color me green for seriously jealous!

Even if the tank is junk, the rest is probably worth that. I mean, if they knew enough to have a pressurized CO2 setup then the equipment can't be all that bad... just a stand for a 180gal tank should be worth more than $200!

#8 ·
At least start a journal if you do get it! My parents want more tanks in the living room...not so many in my room. Just because if they are paying for it, they want to see it. I luckily have very understanding parents.

#10 ·
My wife wants nothing to do with the tanks. She asks me 2 or 3 times a week how much money I spent on it today. I have been trying to talk her into letting me put a tank in our living room, ther is more then enough space for a 120g, but no dice so far. I figure I'll just set it up one day and say, "But, there is no where else to put the fish!"

#13 ·
I would--but I think the shipping would be a bit tough. Im not sure what the filtration is like in this 180--I may use one of the 40B tanks as a sump? I dont know---never thought of doing a tank this big. It will be a slow process--the plants and wood/rocks will take a while to collect.

My budget is kinda slim right now as well--paying two mortgages kinda does that.

#16 ·
I understand the feeling. My husband is mostly patient with my hobby, as long as I take it slowly. lol He would probably not be so understanding with 5 new tanks in one week. (Or two new ones in a year.) I have 3 at the moment, and thinking about setting up a shrimp tank. I think that is my limit, but I think I could get away with upgrading my current tanks.... eventually. ;) LOL

#19 ·
I got it. Pick it up Saturday.

$200

180 Oceanic tank with glass tops
wood stand with doors
2 Emperor hob filters
pressurized co2 with ph controller
heaters
powerhead
driftwood--small
chemicals and carbon etc
30 gallon can of Flourite
2 sets of dual GLO PC lights-not sure they work or what wattage

#20 ·
YAY!! But have you told the Mrs. yet? lol Or are you just going to slide it into the living room and pretend that it just magically appeared?? My bf is constantly grilling me about what I've bought, ordered or done to the tanks...so I can only imagine the response to a tank that big w/ all those fixings.The look on her face will be a kodak moment...to say the least...lol

#21 ·
I take it the tank isn't drilled if they were running HOBs on it? Does it have overflows at all? Those 2 Emperors won't be enough for a planted tank.

What condition are the tank and stand in?

What are the tank dimensions?

I'm looking forward to seeing you set this tank up!

#24 ·
not drilled-no overflows-just a huge glass box. It appears to be in very good condition . He had it full and planted until this past weekend.

I might take a while with this one-gotta do some research and decide what to do with it.

6x2x2 are the dimensions.

#28 ·
Since we're asking the fish tank fairy for presents, I'll take a small house with a good basement please. Then I'll have several larger tanks and some smaller ones. Personally I prefer the nano tanks. I have nightmares about photos of large tanks shattering and homes being flooded with huge amounts of water. BUT...in a basement that wouldn't be so bad. :) I could turn the whole thing into a fish room!

A word of advice to everyone...make sure your significant other has an expensive hobby and make an agreement to match them dollar for dollar. That's what hubby and I do so neither of us have the right to complain about what the other spends on toys. We each get an allowance and its up to us how we spend it and if we want something big, we have to save for it. :) He's saving for an 8-string bass guitar and I'm working on getting the stuff for my new 10g. Fortunately all I need is a heater and plants. LOL

#29 ·
Since we're asking the fish tank fairy for presents, I'll take a small house with a good basement please. Then I'll have several larger tanks and some smaller ones. Personally I prefer the nano tanks. I have nightmares about photos of large tanks shattering and homes being flooded with huge amounts of water. BUT...in a basement that wouldn't be so bad. :) I could turn the whole thing into a fish room!

A word of advice to everyone...make sure your significant other has an expensive hobby and make an agreement to match them dollar for dollar. That's what hubby and I do so neither of us have the right to complain about what the other spends on toys. We each get an allowance and its up to us how we spend it and if we want something big, we have to save for it. :) He's saving for an 8-string bass guitar and I'm working on getting the stuff for my new 10g. Fortunately all I need is a heater and plants. LOL

My other hobby was racing---so this one is less expensive and keeps me at home. My wife's only condition for me getting this tank was that I have to sell our other house instead of renting it like I had wanted to do. Means I have to get to work doing some painting and wallpaper removal---grrrrr :angryfire

#33 ·
My fiance stuck my limit at three tanks, and the three I have. No upgrading... He freaked out when I brought the 29g home. Apparently it's too big...

I told him that someday when we get a house of our own, I'm getting a 75g rimless and doing my dream tank. He shrugged, too far into the future for him to consider yet :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.