The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cheap substitute for Eheim taps

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  majstor76 
#1 ·
One of my Eheims has double taps for easy disconnection; the other doesn't. Suffice to say I notice the difference. Of course, the genuine Eheim parts are absurdly expensive.

I currently use garden hose as a replacement for the Eheim hose (it's much sturdier). I'm looking into some sort of double tap arrangement (I know it's possible to get single taps, but haven't yet found a double one).

Are there any other cheap brands or alternatives?

#4 ·
If you have one of the larger Eheims, you might be able to use regular plumbing parts. For each double tap you'd need two hose barbs, two threaded valves, two threaded couplings, and a threaded union. There are other ways you can do the same thing with slightly different parts, but because hose barbs are usually threaded, it makes sense to use threaded parts for everything.

Use teflon tape on the male threads of each connection and assemble in this order hose barb, valve, threaded coupling, union, threaded coupling, valve, hose barb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.