The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone tried using cloning/root gels to hold stem cuttings while they root?

764 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jmowbray 
#1 ·
I've had consistent difficulty in getting stem cuttings to root, as well as small rooted plants like DHG. I was looking into gels and was wondering if anyone had tried them?

To fill anyone in on this, I've done some research and found that many gels contain an agricultural chemical used as a hormone for plants that is considered toxic to humans in the material data safety sheets (MSDS). I can only assume that these particular gels are NOT suitable for aquarium use.

However, I've also found products like Olivia's Root Gel which has no harmful chemicals listed in its MSDS. The only things that this product contains are fertilizers and non-toxic gel agents, so nothing that wouldn't be put into an aquarium for plants anyway.

I am wondering if anyone has had luck or simply tried these type of products and what their experiences were. If nobody has tried these products then I may try to get a non-toxic gel to experiment with in a control tank that I have (no residents other than some moss and snails).

#2 ·
I know Top Fin has been selling some aquatic plants in a gel recently. I have purchased multiple plants like this, including:Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis', Staurogyne Repens, Pogostemon Helferi & Dwarf Hair Grass. All of these have been great buys, looked healthy and have flourished in my tank thus far. I've tried searching for what the gel is that they are grown in but have been unable to turn anything up.

Here's a thread on them as well:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182019

#3 ·
We did this exact thing in botany. We used regular ferts. that you would use in your tank. KNO3, KHPO4, etc. diluted in water. Added a agar powder. Agar is completely non toxic and is pulled from seaweed. Heat the water up until boiling and add back any evaporated water. Get it to temp to melt agar and pour into dishes. Let cool and insert seeds cuttings etc. The agar will provide nutrients as well as keep the right moisture for the plantlets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.