The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need some help with sick Platys

845 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  HamToast 
#1 ·
I have a pair of bumblebee platys that are both sick and exhibiting similar symptoms. They are both showing raised scales on top of their head, one of them is more noticeable and widespread than the other. The one with the higher raised scales also seems to have one or two spots that look almost like pimples near the raised scales. They have no other symptoms (no bloating or change in behavior or anything) and water perameters are all optimal. No other fish in the tank are exhibiting these symptoms.

I don't know if this is related but I recently treated for fin rot using Pimafix and Melafix and noticed the scale problem about a day or two after I began treatment. I treated for two weeks and stopped about 5 days ago.

#3 ·
I have a tricolor-ed platy that has a white bump like you mentioned near the tail. It has come and gone a few times and he shows no other symptoms. It showed up when I moved him from one tank to another so I thought it was stress. Since the last move it went away and stayed away.

The raised scales I am not sure about. He doesn't look like a pinecone does he?

#4 ·
The raised scales are only on the top of the head. No it doesn't look like a pinecone, I don't know how exactly to describe it.

One of the platys has had its symptoms go away. It appears to be back to normal. The other platy seems worse though with white swollen areas appearing near the raised scales. It looks gross.

#7 ·
The water perameters are all optimal. Nitrites and ammonia at 0, nitrates at 15-20, pH around 6.8, temperature at 76-78 depending on the time of day. When I was treating other fish in the tank I had water temperature increased to about 82 degrees.

As for pictures, I've tried to take a picture of the affected fish and between the fish getting excited by my presence near the tank (anticipating food, I'm sure) and the poor quality of my camera, I can't get a useful photo.

I thought it was dropsy too, except that there are absolutely no other symptoms of dropsy and the raised scales are only in one isolated area. They do not occur across the entire body. I also would not be able to test anything in the manner that video portrayed as I do not have a tank I could use for isolation of any sick fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.