The Planted Tank Forum banner

I think I made a mistake. Need advice.

695 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  HamToast 
#1 ·
Well, I had an ill otocinclus and moved it into my shrimp tank, only to realize that he most likely has fish TB. I'm very concerned now that I've just condemned my cherry shrimp to suffer from the same illness. I'm not too concerned about the disease contaminating the tank as I don't normally put fish in it, but I don't want my shrimp population to suffer.

Is fish TB spread to shrimp or is shrimp TB a different strain? Should I remove the infected fish or is it too late for my shrimp?

#2 ·
I've done some more reading on fish TB and, in an attempt to save the shrimp as well as save the Oto from suffering, I removed it from the tank and put it down. Hopefully it wasn't in the shrimp tank long enough to spread the infection to any of my inverts. It was only in there for about 30 minutes.

#4 ·
Thanks for the sympathy. Hopefully I acted to save more of my animals and end the Oto's suffering.

I actually had moved an additional, healthy, Oto from the infected tank to keep the sick one company (foolish, I know). I moved it back to the tank it came from but during the move it managed to get its mouth caught on my net and a 5 minute fiasco trying to get it loose ensued. I'm now concerned that this Oto will die from stress. Fingers crossed.

It's been a sad and frustrating evening for the hobby.

#6 ·
I know that fish TB is zoonotic, meaning it can be transferred to different species. Humans are one species, and I wasn't able to find conclusive information on the Internet to confirm for the shrimp either way, so I acted quickly and removed the possibility rather than risking a bunch of deaths in my shrimp tank. One tank with this problem is more than I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.