The Planted Tank Forum banner

Oh noes!! glass cracks and water leaks.

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  wendyjo 
#1 ·
A few days ago I bought a wet/dry vac from Costco; it's great for cleaning the car and my daughters occasional spill on the carpet.

This morning I turn on the shower to let it heat up and I spend a few minutes reading the first book in the Legend of Drizzt series, "Homeland." I put down my book and am about to step in the shower when I hear what resembles a rock or something similar hitting glass.

So I go into the living room and my daughter says, "what was that?" I checked the windows and they're all fine... so then I check the 5 gallon, fine; the 10 gallon, fine. I walk past the 3 gallon betta hurricane jar (bought at Michaels) without paying it much attention because their obviously wasn't any water on the carpet as I walked past.

I jump in the shower do my business and as I turn off the water I hear, "Pappa! Water!"

So I run out of bathroom in just my towel and water is pouring out of the hurricane jar and I see a huge crack running horizontal for a few inches and then down toward the base.

GAH!

I frantically ran for my fish net to save the betta but I couldn't get him out of the moss at the bottom so I finally had to grab him with my hand. He's now safely in the 5 gallon and is doing well.

I then busted out the wet/dry vac and cleaned up the water with no damage to the carpet.

Had that betta jar running for just under three years. :(

See less See more
#3 ·
Last christmas eve I was sitting down watching a movie and I heard drip drip drip. I looked over at my 150g (about 5 feet away) saw nothing, so went back to the movie. A few mins later I hear it again, Drip drip drip. So I got up and went over to the tank. I started looking around at filter hoses and such but once again I saw nothing. I stood there for a few more mins watching the fish when I heard a ripping type sound. Thats when the waterfall began, The water was comming out from the bottom seam of the tank, right across my legs. I lost all 150g of water in about a minute and a half.

My wife was NOT happy with me at all....

#17 ·
Was this a store bought tank, if so what brand, or did you build it?

On another post about the Styrofoam I would strongly disagree, the first thing I would do is see if the manufacturer recommends a particular type of stand, but for the most part I think the bottom outside rim of the tank should be supported with a flat level surface and any center braces etc. should not touch the bottom of the tank. This should give you something to think about if you are going to build your own stand with a larger tank, you need to possess the skills to be able to produce a flat, level surface for this edge and mate the base to any slope in the floor, it could keep you dry.

#5 ·
Yikes. I wasn't so lucky. I had insomnia one night, got up and came out to the couch. Walking down the hallway the carpet was wet. I figured the kids dumped something then I realized it was way too wet for that. I get down on all fours and look under the 30 gal. Yep, big crack all the way across the bottom of it. I now have a hump in my floor where the subfloor under the carpet needs to be replaced. Mine was caused by an uneven stand.

#7 ·
By uneven, do people mean that not all the four corners of the tank are touching the stand properly? Or that the whole tank is uneven?

#11 ·
This particular tank was one of those vases from Michael's... it's labeled as hand blown glass and although I couldn't see any imperfections in the glass I think just the fact that's hand blown means that the glass isn't as sound as a classic tank's glass is.

I've never had a fish tank crack own it's own... though It is important to make sure it is level and plumb.

#15 ·
Center braces can be replaced. You'll have to look around for a new plastic rim for the top but they're out there. On a reg rectangle its easy fix because you can silicone a new glass brace in its place but bowfront will be harder to fix. Id try and fix the crack or get a new top

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Acrylic is much less likely to leak or crack because they are molded plastic and usually don't have any seams. I think the ones that do have seams are chemically fused together. I've dropped my small acrylic tanks on the floor and they just bounced and were fine.

Acrylic will scratch tho - just wiping a paper towel over it will scratch it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.