The Planted Tank Forum banner

Killifish

9K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  Axelrodi202 
#1 ·
Does anyone keep killifish?

What type?

I would like to see some pics and if you have info that could help me get started, that would be great!

I have been having a hard time keeping fry alive....

#2 ·
Im currently keeping a trio of Clown killifish.
The link is a long video, skip to the last minute to see close up.
Ive never seen fry unless i hatched them separate. I believe the other fish would snack on the fry. I also believe the fry would fair better in a stagnate species only tank.

#7 ·
Aphyosemion Australe Orange.. did have 2 pair.. only have 1 female :(

like these little guys!
I have these guys too. I like them. Most of these fish are easy to keep but I have just having an issue raising the fry after hatching.

I also have PALMQUISTI RED PANGANI, N.Eggersi both blue and red and a few others. My hatch rate is really good around 80%. It's just raising these guys past 2 weeks old...

#4 ·
I picked up a couple of 'clown rocket' killies (or something similar).

Pseudoepiplatys annulatus - A google image search will bring up plenty of pics. fairly interesting, pretty small, and neat looking.

Usually they hang out right at the surface, but occasionally I'll see them swimming around at the bottom as well.

#11 ·
killifish

I keep severl types including blue gularis, gardenaris,A.stitarum, a.austale,f.spoorebergi. what are your water parmeter food tank size all that fun stuff also mosses are your best friend when raising killi fry I have put 30 fry in a tank with java moss and some times it will take up to a month before I see them again also the fry are very sensitive to chemicals what do u add to your water? ?

#12 ·
I keep severl types including blue gularis, gardenaris,A.stitarum, a.austale,f.spoorebergi. what are your water parmeter food tank size all that fun stuff also mosses are your best friend when raising killi fry I have put 30 fry in a tank with java moss and some times it will take up to a month before I see them again also the fry are very sensitive to chemicals what do u add to your water? ?
I have them in small containers loaded with Java moss. I had a batch of 50 eggs, 27 hatched on the first wetting, I did a water change in the fry tray(lesson learned) and killed them all. I have a few other fry from some other wettings that are about a week old but I don't know if they are eatting. I have been adding a few baby fairy shrimp each morning but they don't really look like they are growing...

I have the water temp around 78 and my PH is about 6.8. I just use distilled tap with Prime. No other chemicals. I don't use water from my other tanks because I add so much ferts, I wasn't sure how the killy's would like it.

A few of the fry do swim around but about half of them just lay on the bottom, when I can see them anyways... I have a ton of moss in them.

I will take some pics tonight of how I have them setup.

#14 ·
I keep my temp in the low seventys killies like cooler water. And yes changing the water is a bad idea I feed very sparingly live baby brine they do well on that if u get me some pics ill help however I can
Thanks! I will get some pics tonight.

I do have brine shrimp also but just havent used them yet. Do you sinse the BBS in fresh water before feeding them to the fry?

Everything I have been reading has been saying that I should keep the fry at 80 or higher or they can get velvet. I am willing to try anything though! So maybe adjust the temp to 72-75 range?

#19 ·
Subscribed! I just purchased some eggs on aquabid and will need as much help as possible to get these guys to grow. I was thinking on doing micro worms for culture and BBS when they got a little older and become more agile and active swimmers.

#22 ·
What your doing will work. If you have no other fish in the tank their is no reason to use the containers. Just dump the eggs in with the java moss. If you want to keep a close eye on them keep them in the containers. Just change out the water frequently.
Once mine hatch i just keep them in a breeder box in the tank their going in. That way once they reach size i can just release them.
To feed i hatch brine shrimp. I do rinse them with tank water before i feed. I also put a drop of liquid baby vitamins in the bbs before i feed. I also use Golden pearls at 100 microns.

#25 ·
I got a batch of killi eggs from a firend that got them from an auction. I wet them an they were much bigger then the ones i have tried to raise! They have been eating BBS and have already doubled in size!

I am really looking forward to see how these guys turn out... He trashed the lable so I don't know what they are. I will post pics soon.

#26 · (Edited)
The batch that started eating BBS from the start are doing great! Over 1/2 an inch now.

The other batches I started later are munching on microworms. Lost a few but the others are growing well. Still not ready for BBS yet.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

#27 · (Edited)
Here are some pics. These guys grow fast!! Anyone have any idea what type these guys are?? They color up more and more each day so it might be hard to ID them just yet... Looking forward to see how they look when they are all filled in. They have bellies full of brine shrimp in the pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.