The Planted Tank Forum banner

petsmart sale

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Virto 
#1 ·
PS is having a 4 day sale on German blue ram for $5 each and $1 A. Cory cat each.
Just a head up to whoever looking for gbr

#2 ·
I dont know about you but petsmart around my area (all 3), the people in those stores do not know enough about fish. Also the way they handle there fish before they get to the store is a issue with me. Another thing is the tanks are on one filter system that means if one tank is sick, It spreads to other tanks. BE CAREFUL! Might be a good price, but you can have issues after you get them in your tank.

Ronnie

Ronnie

#7 ·
I'm still holding off on treating my new PetSmart sale GBR pair for camallanus worms. 1 had clear, stringy waste, and also had a slight bout with ick after being in tank for 24 hours. Ick-Ease took care of that, and didn't even kill my shrimp. I'm holding off because treatment is no fun, and USPS suuuuccckkks.

The PetSmart I frequent is the best as far as lack of illnesses, cleanliness and selection, but you can't ever be too sure. Camallanus once, ok, but two times now in 5 months, @%!&. Quarantine, quarantine, quarantine. I'm feeling much dumber now, for not. Your mileage may vary :)

They won't accept fish, cause they can't properly quarantine them, but they'll sure as hell sell you...anything.

#8 ·
I have purchased from PetSmart twice, ended up with ich both times. I now have a quarantine tank. They do have a good warranty on fish, 14 days. The only non chain lfs around me only has 24 hours and I have brought in disease from there as well. Final answer......quarantine tank.

#9 ·
All depends where you go. I been buying from petsmart for a while now.
All my Otto from petsmart are still alive, black ghost knife is still alive, blue ram are doing good so far.
All my neon end up being food for my black knife. Pretty much I been having good luck with petsmart.
As for petco I only shop there for their $1 tank sale.

#10 ·
Why buy form them, when you can get from a local breeder? My local breeders sell then for $4 each.

#11 ·
PetSmart has the best sale prices and warranties then my local LFS. The only downside is battling ick and quarantine is a must for a few weeks.

I did see first hand someone's returns going directly back into the main tank without even a glance.

The salesperson also told me they automatically dose QuickCure for 3 days when they are getting their stocks each week. I've never bought fish from them that didn't develop ick within two weeks. But I guess that's the price you pay!

#14 ·
I buy most of my fish from petsmart. I have had more luck with them then anywhere else.
All of my tetras came from there (going on a year old, at least in my tank)
my roselines came from there and even my current pair of rams came from there and I haven't been able to keep a pair of rams alive from anywhere else I go. All my local LFS fish die within 2-3 days. Petsmart gets my business especially when they have their sales.

#15 ·
This is either already expired or a regional thing, which is unfortunate, as I've been looking for 8-12 bronze cories. Oh well, gives that tank more time to cycle.

Only fish on sale at my local store are "select cichlids" 2 for 5. PetCo is doing 5 for 5 tetras of most species, so I picked up some black neons on Saturday. They're doing really well and are already aware of what it means when I open the lid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.