The Planted Tank Forum banner

My first planted tank! 5 Gallon

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  hambone870 
#1 ·
I wanted to set this tank up at work and did, however, the boss told me to take it down 24 hours into it because it looked "mucky." I'm still trying to convince him to let me bring it back, although I am worried that it will need serious re-settling after I move it again. So now it sits here at home....waiting. The first photo was after I first set it up. The second photo (the red bridge) is how it looks today. I am starting to get an algae bloom. Any suggestions on how to deal with that would be helpful. THANKS for looking!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
For the work environment I would suggest an elegant look for your tank... fine black substrate, lighting and beautiful plants as well as a sleek tank >.>

It it were me, I would go small, rimless and ditch the bridge and shrine get better lighting and smaller plants to help with the relative scaling of the tank >.>

Oh and also, a nice piece of driftwoodor rocks :)

#3 ·
I like the red bridge! You should add some bamboo plants if you want to keep that theme. They are very hardy and would look cool bunched together. I also started a 5.5 gal tank on my desk, the journal is in my sig below. It's rimless and black substrate like aokashi suggests.

#6 ·
Wish I could have a tank at work! Since you are worried about cycling your tank, you can do it at home then transfer tank and water to work once it is cycled to get rid of mushy look lol..... Or many people are doing Dry Start Method which you can find much info on. There are benefits with that as well. Good luck against the boss!

#8 ·
The whole having a tank at work started a year and a half ago. I brought in a betta over the new year holiday in a small bowl to surprise co-workers half expecting the supervisors to poo-poo over the idea. Sure enough supervisors were asking but instead it was an excited/happy way. The betta, named Mary, by my co-workers went from a small 1/4 gallon to a 2 gallon heated tank (I've been learning a lot in this process) as she was gradually accepted. This past Jan our offices were moved and I brought Mary home until we were settled in and could find the proper place for her. I thought it only fair that she should have new digs too and decided on trying a dirted tank.
I work for a government agency so it took at least a month to get a go from the higher ups on where to put her. I was so excited, and set it up on a Sunday. Unfortunately the BIGGER BOSS came in that Monday morning, before I had a chance to cycle it and it looked mucky and I was told to take it down. In hindsight I should have set it up at home first. I was (and still am) worried that sloshing around in the car would stir things up too much. So verbally he has told me what he didnt like about it, but I havent received the offical blessing to bring it back. EVERYONE at work is bugging me and cant wait to see Mary again. I had no idea it would become such a huge deal. It is worth the effort though to get a tank at work. I thought it was just me that would enjoy it, but I am realizing that it brings my whole unit together like nothing else. It just requires commitment and a little diplomacy when dealing with the BIG BOSS types. Thankfully mine is fairly reasonable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.