CONTEST - Thru July 18th
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > ACUREL Aquarium and Pond Care

Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Acurel
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)
Arrow

CONTEST - Thru July 18th

ACUREL “Healthy Home, Happy Plants” Aquarium Contest

Win up to $100 in ACUREL aquarium care products by sharing photos of your favorite live plant!

HOW TO ENTER:
Post up to 2 pictures of your favorite live plant in your aquarium.
Please share:
-Name of plant species
-Why you like it
-Any specific care tips for fellow aquarists interested in using one in their own planted tank.

All entries must be posted by JULY 18th, 2014 11:59 PM EST.

PRIZES:

1st prize: $100 in Acurel products
2nd prize: $50 Acurel products
3rd prize: $25 Acurel products

Winners will be asked to supply a valid shipping address (no P.O. Boxes) via private email at gethooked@acurel.com

ACUREL will send products appropriate for winners aquarium. ACUREL will consider requests for specific products in each prize package, but reserves the right to ultimately determine each package contents based on product availability.

All participants grant the rights to any photos entered in contest to ACUREL for use in promotions on website and social media.
Please visit our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/acurelfishcare for additional contest opportunities in the near future!

Thank you for your participation, have fun!!

www.Acurel.com
Acurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #2
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/92%)

-Name of plant species: hygrophila polysperma 'sunset'
-Why you like it: I love the pink veins and the deep pink (true) color that the leaves take on toward the light source. I love how easily it takes roots and how well it grows out to take up space. It is a wonderful plant to look through.
-Any specific care tips for fellow aquarists interested in using one in their own planted tank: this is an invasive species so you cannot trade/sell it across state lines. it loves potassium and will show potassium deficiencies very easily through tiny pinholes in the leaves. Under low lighting the leaves stay green but the veins are still a lighter color. It grows tall and bushy and will send off roots even inches from the waterline.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Name of plant species: Ludwigia Glandulosa

Why you like it: It's a hardy stem which can produce dramatic colors under a variety of conditions. Unlike other Ludwigia species, it doesnt branch out with more stems coming off the main trunk. It remains a single stem, which for me is nice because it's easier to control and place precisely in a given space.

Any specific care tips for fellow aquarists interested in using one in their own planted tank: For reference, both pics are of the exact same plants. The left picture is under medium light, with only Flourish Comp and Excel being added. The right picture is a few months later, in the same tank, same light, but with a full range of liquid ferts and CO2.

It grows pretty fast (under both conditions). I generally prune it every couple of weeks by cutting off the bottom portion and re-planting the tops. If you cut the tops off, the main trunk will stop growing and it will put out usually two new side shoots. It's easy to create more stems or a denser cluster that way if desired.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:33 AM   #4
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

My Favorite Aquarium Plant: Anubias ....
Why?: it's so versatile, comes in so many diff't sizes and leaf forms/textures which allow for the creation of amazing 'scapes with them.
Care Tip: keep them algae free for best growth

Fizgig777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:43 AM   #5
maverickbr77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

-Name of plant species: Cryptocoryne wendtii "Green Gecko"
-Why you like it: I love the variability of its color forms and the contrasting colors on the leaves
-Any specific care tips for fellow aquarists interested in using one in their own planted tank: Keep it a bit shaded in high light setups. Also added ferts and co2 are not a necessity but will help bring out its best color.
maverickbr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
jmsaltfish797
Planted Tank Obsessed

species: cryptocoryne pontederiifolia

reason i like it: its a very slow growing plant, even with co2 and regular fertilizing. ive had these for going on 3 years now. they have taught me to be patient and good things will come in the end.

care tips: these guys grow slow (cant emphasize that enough) must have decent flow and moderate light. very prone to algae.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0630.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	341961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0631.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	341969  

Old 07-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #7
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Default CONTEST - Thru July 18th

Name of plant species: Erect moss (Vesicularia reticulata)

Why you like it:
This lovely moss has a look suited for both attachment to driftwood and a low-growing carpet.

Any specific care tips for fellow aquarists interested in using one in their own planted tank:
This is a relatively fast-growing and hardy moss that attaches readily to wood and rock. Like all mosses, it is vulnerable to filamentous algae. Keeping it in soft water, with shrimp, and being prudent about picking out infected strands will help keep such algae at bay.
\_\

Last edited by Axelrodi202; 07-19-2014 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: fixed pic
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

-Name of plant species: Tiger Lotus, Red (Nymphaea zenkeri)
-Why you like it: great plant to make your tank pop
-Any specific care tips for fellow aquarists interested in using one in their own planted tank. You determine how this plant grows, you an allow it to reach the surface, if have low light plants in a higher light tank this can be a great option to give them shade. You can also train it to grow low and "bush" out, honestly who can hate the color of it.

Italionstallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 AM   #9
Acurel
Sponsor

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks to everyone that participated in this month's contest! We love the variety of plants displayed in your photos.

The winners are:

1st prize: burr740
2nd prize: Axelrodi202
3rd prize: Jmsaltfish797

Winners please supply a valid shipping address (no P.O. Boxes) via private email to gethooked@acurel.com.
Acurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got my stuff in today. Thanks a lot for sending me a BUNCH of the two products I requested. Looking forward to tying it all out.

Edit: Added pic

Edit #2: Boy that clear water stuff really works! I have a low tech 20 gal that's been cloudy lately for some strange reason that I cant figure out. I used the recommended one drop per gallon, and a couple hours later, boom...crystal clear.

Last edited by burr740; 08-17-2014 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: added pic
burr740 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
contest