The Planted Tank Forum banner

My randomly setup 7g long [Minor Update: 4/6/07]

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  SearunSimpson 
#1 · (Edited)
I took down my too-big 20g long aquarium, which I didn't really have room for. I set up an oddly shaped for it's size tank that I believe is a seven gallon tank in its place. I'm not an aquascaper artist, but I tried atleast to emulate a decent design with some random plants I bought at the store the other day and that I took from my 20g. So far I'm only adding pres. CO2. I'm going to see how it does and add nutrients as needed later.

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice looking tank, just one suggestion: I'd tie the Anubias Coffeefolia to the driftwood behind it. If you plant it directly into the substrate, the rhizome will rot and the plant will die, I talk from personal experience. Same thing with the Java Ferns but I think Anubias' are more finicky.

#4 ·
Actually, I had those in my 20g both planted in the substrate and they grew still. I'm not sure how though since I have heard both would not do so well planted in the sub. I've had them in my 20g like that for about 6mo. I didn't completely cover the Anubias' rhizome though so that might be the reason.

macclellan, I'm not sure what it is. I bought it as a bunched plant, so there was no tag that came along with it. Maybe someone can help identify it.

#8 ·
Thanks Yoshi. I love long tanks. :) I was surprised to find it in a 7g size and quickly snatched it up at the store.

As a minor update, the tank is doing fine. The ludwigia, cambomba, and other unidentified green plant are growing steadily. Oddly, the anubias and java fern are just collecting diatom algae. That seems to be the only algae that likes my tank atm. I haven't added any nutrients as of yet except for the already mentioned pres. CO2.

The light's on for 10hrs with 18watts of screw-in 6700k fluorescents. The tank's still cycling so hopefully the diatoms will go away once that's finished.

#10 ·
Thanks RESGuy. :) Unfortunately I might have to rescape. The green plant on the right just is not liking the outflow of the filter at all. It's growing wayyy outta it's way, and it's making the scape look unorganized.

Health-wise, the plants are doing good. The ludwigia's turning red near the tops, the cabomba's turning pink on the tops (yes, pink! I love it), and the other green plant's growing well too (just in the wrong direction). The anubias and java fern are growing like slugs, however. I'm barely getting remnants of a new leaf on one of my coffeefolia plants.

I'm finding it really odd #1 how some of the more harder plants are growing great with absolutely no ferts (maybe because of the uncycled nutrients), and #2 that the easiest plants seem to be fairing the worst in terms of growth.

Algae-wise, my tank is just stuck on diatoms still. I had strands of hair algae on some of my plants from my 20g, but it completely disappeared in this tank. Maybe it's the CO2.

#12 ·
Thanks! If there is any criticism too, I'd like to hear that too. I really am not very good at aquascaping compared to the great ideas I see on here, and I'd like to get better if any of you have some tips for me. :)

Yes, it's a glass tank. I'm not sure about the dimensions. It didn't come with a gallon measurement, so I'm guessing at the size. I'll take a day shot of it later and measure it.

Good news, diatom growth is slowing down and I already had to trim the plants because they were getting too tall and crooked. Bad news, though, is that my rasboras are not liking being cooped up with my Killie. I'm not sure what to do with them since I only have the 7g and 5g. Their tails are getting torn off by the dominant rasbora and my killie. I separated the two rasboras from the little guy who's getting picked on the most. I hope his tail heals up.

#14 ·
I had a problem with one of my bunch plants that I bought to carpet out my first 10gl: It grew sooo fast. I planted each stem individually to carpet out the bottom, and within a week it was about 2inches higher. In another week, it was like a little forest, but from it, I just clipped it and carpeted out another tank, then another. I now just let it grow tall and then trade or sell the clippings. If the plants in the 7gl long grow tooo tall, try to sell the clippings or trade. I now always try to buy plants that will grow fast so I can use them as a naturaly spare-change maker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.