The Planted Tank Forum banner

I need advice.

637 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  exv152 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have a problem. Sometime over the last two days I experienced what I believe to be an end of tank dump. I have a do!aqua 35 gram co2 cart system with single stage regulator, solonoid, and diffuser/bubble counter. The diffuser/bubble counter being one unit a glass tube that is filled with water and has a ceramic disk at the top. Co2 bubbles from the bottom through the water and diffuses through the disk. Normally after the co2 is shutoff for a few hours water completely fills the tube and after it is turned on it displaces about a 1/4in of water for a co2 pocket. I found an empty diffuser no water at all and an empty co2 cart. The weird thing is I did not loose fish. When I used to run 1 bps the cart lasted a over a month. I am now running 2bps and I got 3 weeks out of the last cart but I just replaced this one last week. I don't understand what happened. It should be noted that I just found out about end of tank dumps and have been letting my carts run dry.

So my questions are 1 was this a end of tank dump so soon after replacement? 2 how do I prevent this again? 3 do I have a pos co2 system that is a lost cause?

Also I only have a 15 gal tank so I don't need a big co2 system.

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most likely, you have a leak somewhere when you went to replace your cartridge.

When you replace your cartridge, I would do a leak test with soapy water (just paint it all over the joints to ensure that you are not losing CO2 somewhere).

#3 ·
I emptied my 5# CO2 tank in 3 days because I doubled up on the gaskets between the CO2 tank and the High Pressure Regulator.

Leak check your system! Teflon pipe tape helps between threads as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.