The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ocean Free Tank

9K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  fresh_lynny 
#1 ·
Well, stopped by Boun's place this weekend and set up a couple of these little tanks with him. Went home with one of them (already had one at home) and just set it up awhile ago. Just a couple of pics for now.

See less See more
#4 ·
The tank is lighted by 2x9W PC bulbs in an enclosure. It's actually the mini aqualight with 2 10,000k bulbs in it. Fits just about right over the tank with about 1" left in the back. Just waiting to verify if a Red Sea filter will fit in the space back there and if it does, it's going in. :tongue:

Boun is actually in Oakland and not San Jose. I believe he got them from El Cerrito or somewhere out there. The tanks are rimless but don't have curve corners in the front. They make two different kinds of tanks and this one has the straight corners. Come to the open house next week and you can see a couple more of these. I helped him set up two of them over at his place. :wink:

#6 ·
Not quite sure myself. I got mine a couple of months before they went on sale and have been using it for a photography tank of sorts. The one that Boun gave me was from the sale and he did pick it up for a great price. That was about a month ago and I'm guessing that it's no longer for that price.

#9 ·
Haha, good eye, Mike! That's a piece pf ADA rock there and costs is on the order of $3.99/lb. That piece there was an even $5 courtesy of Aqua Forest. :proud: Underneath the substrate is a single piece of ADA Iron Bottom broken up into four pieces (each stick is supposed to cover an area of 6x6) and is supposed to last 2 months. Just making a venture on some ADA products for the moment (also bought one of their diffusers, which might make it's way into a new reactor). :wink:

Plantwise, in front it's Utricularia sp. To the back left corner is Blyxa japonica, courtesy of Marcel. :proud: No idea about the moss on top there, but if Steve (scolley) sees this, hopefully he'll chime in. Steve sent it to Boun, who I got it from. :)

#11 ·
JBN said:
Cost me $3.97 including tax.
Rats...looks like they marked them down even more! I bought several this summer, on sale, for like $4.89! Plus tax. :icon_neut

Still beats $14.99 though! :proud:

--Rebecca

#13 ·
Ibn said:
No idea about the moss on top there, but if Steve (scolley) sees this, hopefully he'll chime in. Steve sent it to Boun, who I got it from. :)
Wow! It is a miracle that I stumbled on this thread... Interesting looking and attractive tank BTW. :proud:

If you got the moss from Boun, who got it from me, according to my very loose records, it should have hitched a ride on the Java Fern covered driftwood he was foolish... I mean KIND! Right... that he was kind enough to buy from me. :wink:

In which case, it is either not a fern at all, but a type of benign algae that was growing on the driftwood, ala Gomer's entry in AGA 2004. Otherwise it could possibly be some garden variety Java Moss.

But as I recall, I sent the driftwood with some moss attached that had been given to me by John P. (I think). And I belive John indicated that the moss was Taxiphyllum alternans (Taiwan moss), but after reading the TAG v18 #3 moss article, I really, really suspect it is actually Vesicularia ferriei (Weeping moss). I'll see if I can get my 10 yr old to whip out his microscope and ID it for us.

#14 ·
scolley said:
If you got the moss from Boun, who got it from me, according to my very loose records, it should have hitched a ride on the Java Fern covered driftwood he was foolish... I mean KIND! Right... that he was kind enough to buy from me. :wink:

QUOTE]

Steve you are too kind! Steve gave those plants to me for the cost of shipping. It will be one of the center piece for my rescaping of my 100 gallons tank this weekend with the SFBAAPS members.

#16 ·
OK, it's your thread about Ocean Free tanks Eric, so I'm not gonna feel like this is thread-jacking since you asked...

If the moss you are referring to came from my tank, and looks something like the pic below, then I think I have an answer.

The aforementioned TAG issue compares the dramatically similar Java, Christmas, Erect, Singapore, Taiwan, and Weeping mosses.

At the macro level, it appears similar to Java moss, and very similar to Taiwan moss. But at the microscopic level, Java moss is eliminated due to the lack of fine "teeth" along the entire length of the leaf edges, possessing instead "teeth" only near the apex.

Also at the microscopic level it distinguishes itself as Weeping moss due to its lack of slightly elongated and pointed leaf tips, possessing instead slightly more abruptly pointed tips. This last call is a subtle one, and I wouldn't be willing to go way out on a limb over. But it is reinforced by having larger, and more pronounced, leaf cells than Taiwan moss, which clinches it.

So thanks to my son Mickey and his microscope, IMO this is Vesicularia ferriei - a.k.a. Weeping moss. ;)

#18 ·
another case of fissidens in the aquarium!

probably anyway.

This is definitely not a Vesicularia like weeping moss or singapore moss (vesicularia ferrieri and vesicularia dubyana respectively).

Also not a taxiphyllum like Taiwan or Java moss . . . yeah, I'm just being annoying to remind people that Java is NOT a vesicularia. :icon_redf

#19 ·
Ibn said:
Steve, here are some shots of the moss. Let me know if it looks similar to the fronds on your weeping moss. :)
Well, I'm afraid we have a wild goose chase going. That looks nothing like anything I've ever seen in my tank. Sorry.

I can't tell you were that came from. But I don't think it was me...

#21 ·
scolley said:
Well, I'm afraid we have a wild goose chase going. That looks nothing like anything I've ever seen in my tank. Sorry.

I can't tell you were that came from. But I don't think it was me...
Hey steve.. it is from you. I don't remember attaching any moss onto your driftwood. It's at the very top of the driftwood. unless, it just landed on there by accident. I dont know :)

#22 ·
One time, after returning from a business trip, my wife handed me a business card with a woman's name on it, and a phone number scribbled on back... and not the "business" number from the front of the card. "Honey, really! I don't know who that is, or even where that came from. Honest."

It's kinda feeling like deja vu all over again. :hihi:

#23 ·
If there's ever enough around IBN-- I'd love a sample. I bought some of a different fissiden species from another member here (from singapore) that would be cool to swap a few strands of. Otherwise, I could swap you a few strands of the native Hawaiian fissiden which I can collect when I get back home.

#26 ·
Redid the Shulfert's dwarf crayfish tank last night and snapped these (sorry about the quality; it was late). Installed an Oceanview black background and replanted some glosso that was kicked up the the crays. Also attached some taiwan moss to the branches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.