The Planted Tank Forum banner

just getting started. northern NJ area.

670 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Kyle 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been lurking here for a little bit, and I'm finally ready to post.
I ran into some plant guy!? at Absolutely Fish in NJ and he tipped me off about this forum. I did want to thank him. -Thanks!

I have 3 tanks, one of which I've set up as a planted tank.
The tank is a 40g Breeder.
Lighting: 250 w HQI Pendant 10K.
Filter: Eheim Cannister
(not to age, but it's got years of service under its replaced O-rings)
CO2: 20# tank with diffuser/ wired through an AB solenoid & Pinpoint pH Controller set at 6.4

I'll post a few pics later when I get home.

If this plant tank does well, I've always got another 40Breeder and a 120g that I'm thinking of converting. Or I could always switch the 40s to 65s.

My problem is that I was getting a black string algae, and I'm not sure if anyone knows how to get rid of that. It seems to weave its way through lots of plants.

I was also getting algae growing off the anubias, but I moved that to a different (lower light tank) and I've backed the halides off the tank more.
(suspended)

Also, I am looking to acquire some good plants, so if someone else in Northern NJ wants to put an order together or sell off some stuff, send an email.

See less See more
#2 ·
lol, you should have come to the NJAS meeting last night there must have been a thousand or so bags of plants for sale, all looked really nice and really green! Well anyways you say you are getting some algae, but how many plants do you have? alot or a little, are you currently dosing?

#3 ·
There is a good chance the guy you met in Absolutely Fish was me!

A good place for everyone to start would be at your water parameters. Give us an idea what your pH, KH, NO3 and PO4 levels are.

Off the top of my head I'd assume your BBA is from a low level of CO2. Knowing parameters would help make that assumption a fact.

Mike

#4 ·
Momotaro said:
There is a good chance the guy you met in Absolutely Fish was me!
That would definitely qualify as 'some plant guy'. Man - having the Frog give me a personal invitation to the board. That would have been cool :wink: !

#5 ·
Not to thread hijack, but is there something similar to NJAS in NYC? I'd love to check out such an event but being carless in the city does not cater well to exploring NJ :)

#7 ·
Hi Kyle,

If you don't mind venturing out of Manhattan, :wink: you might try the Brooklyn Aquarium Society.

I don't know how they are for plants, but I've heard that it's one of the premier aquarium societies in the area.

You can also get to the NJAS meetings by taking a NJ Transit train from Penn Station to the new Secaucus Transfer Station, and grabbing a quick cab ride to the meeting. Check your train schedule for the trip back, though...

--Rebecca

#8 ·
Ah cool thanks for the info Rebecca. I think i may actually be moving to Jersey in the next month or so which would make getting to Secaucus Transfer easy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.