The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is 26 watts overkill for a 2.5g?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cichlid Junkie 
#1 ·
Im deceiding between the coralife 18w mini-freshwater light and 26w setup I found on ebay. I plan on putting it on my shrimp tank that will grow HC; java ferns (for startup only), Ludwigia Glandulosa, Heteranthera Zosterifolia; and Taiwan moss. For CO2, I'll be using Seachem's Excel, unless I get daring enough to try a DIY CO2 system!

Here are the two lights.

18 watt
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11382&N=2004+113176

26 watt
http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Compact-M...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What are your thoughts?

#2 ·
You can consider using a desk lamp to house the CF bulb for such a small tank, either bulb should work. You can easily adjust the height of the light that way to suit your needs. More height means less intensity and better distribution. I used two lamps over 10 gallon:

#5 ·
The eBay fixture does cost nearly twice as much as the Aqualight, so that might be one consideration for you.

Also be aware that with the eBay fixture, you'll need to change out one of the bulbs, as that 13 watt Actinic Blue bulb will do you no good at all. So that might cost you more $$.

I originally had the 9" Aqualight on my 5.5 gallon, and it's a nice little fixture, although it has no fan and gets surprisingly warm. I'd recommend using it with the legs if possible. At best, the light was satisfactory for that size tank, and grew what I have in there (crypts, anubias nana, lots of moss, pellia, and HC), but slowly. The biggest disadvantage was the lack of light at the ends of the tank, as the fixture is only 9 inches wide.

I'm not sure the dimensions of your tank, but you may want to consider the new Coralife 12" Aqualight. It's a nice bright 36 watts. The only downside is that it's the only Aqualight that Coralife makes that doesn't also come in a freshwater version. :icon_conf I found it pretty tough to find 18 watt straight pin daylight bulbs, but I eventually located them for a decent price online at Innovative Lighting.

I (and the plants) are much happier with the wider, brighter fixture! My HC and weeping moss pearls daily. :proud:

Hope this helps!

--Rebecca

#6 ·
Rebecca,
Thanks for the tip on that 12" Coralife light! Even if it winds up being too much light, do you think I would be able to put 2 lower two 13 watt bulbs int there instead? Can you use legs with this lamp or do you have it in top of your talk? Thanks again! :icon_bigg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.