The Planted Tank Forum banner

Any recent PetSmart pricematchers?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  styxx 
#1 ·
I'll probably place a sizeable on-line order in the upcoming month or two, but will probably want a bag of flourite sooner. Just for convenience, thought about picking one up at PetSmart. Wondering if anyone has tried pricematching on-line prices lately?

Figure it won't do any harm to give it a shot, but just wondered if any of you had recent experience.

#2 ·
eds said:
I'll probably place a sizeable on-line order in the upcoming month or two, but will probably want a bag of flourite sooner. Just for convenience, thought about picking one up at PetSmart. Wondering if anyone has tried pricematching on-line prices lately?

Figure it won't do any harm to give it a shot, but just wondered if any of you had recent experience.

It seems that the corporate office must have caught on to us...I must have bought at least 8 bags at 9.99 until they said they stopped matching online competitors...now they only will match Petsmart.com. You could at least try...

#3 ·
I kinda figured as much.

I can save $2 with the PetSmart online price.

I'll most likely be setting up a 50 gal shortly, but am putting together a low tech, low maintenance, low cost 3 gal nano right now. Could just scoop a pound or 2 of well-mulmed gravel/laterite mix out of my existing 30 gal, and replace it with cheap gravel from the LFS/big box.

Of course, it might be better to pay for shipping on 1 bag and also get a nano-filter, some bulk excel right now, and figure out my 50 gal supplies when the time comes.

#4 ·
I think I'm probably being a little silly even wasting time thinking about this.
Just added it up, and I can get a bag of flourite, a bottle of excel, and a nano HOB filter from Dr FosterSmith or Big Al's for right around $30 total delivered.
Better than spending the time and gas driving to PetSmart and finding something was out of stock, or they didn't have the filter I wanted in stock, or somesuch.

#7 ·
I just had Petsmart match their own web site price on Maracyn. Website price for 24 tablets is $7.49 and the store price was $15-something. Saved me 50%!

I'm glad I checked before heading out there!

The Petsmarts out here will only match Petsmart's website. No Big Al's prices for me! :icon_frow

--Rebecca

#8 ·
tessoci said:
I just had Petsmart match their own web site price on Maracyn. Website price for 24 tablets is $7.49 and the store price was $15-something. Saved me 50%!

I'm glad I checked before heading out there!

The Petsmarts out here will only match Petsmart's website. No Big Al's prices for me! :icon_frow

--Rebecca
And they arent even supposed to be doing that. we got in big trouble if we matched our online prices.

#9 ·
TheOtherGeoff said:
And they arent even supposed to be doing that. we got in big trouble if we matched our online prices.
Wow. It seems they have no consistent policy! The store where I was agreed to match the Petsmart website price, no hassle. "But only our own," the manager said. It even rang on my receipt with the regular price and a separate entry for "Price Match."

Huh. :confused: I guess I won't rely on it!

--Rebecca

#10 ·
yeah it got done everynow and then if the people complained enough to our managers but we just told them that yes the price might be cheaper online, but once you figure in shipping and tax it still comes ot to close to the store price. but hey, if your store is doing it then more power to ya, cant beat the 50% discount, i didnt even get that much working there. haha

#11 ·
eds said:
I've been able to price two items against Petsmart's online store and it all depends on the clerk and/or manager you speak to.

The first item was a Rena XP1 I got for the online price of $62 + 7 dollars "for shipping." The instore price was $110. The manager flipped out but gave it to me. The second item was a 50 foot Python for around $40 (compared to $75 in store). That time I didn't have to pay for shipping.

#12 ·
dizzo said:
I've been able to price two items against Petsmart's online store and it all depends on the clerk and/or manager you speak to.
You don't know how right you are...there are two Petsmart stores here...one will pricematch everything I bring in (depending on if the Aquatics manager says so) and the other won't pricematch anything except maybe their own website items..I bought a bag of Flourite for 12.00 and their instore price was something like 30.00!!!

It really does depend on each store and the manager that you speak to...if you have a relationship with them and/or they know you're a regular customer and recognize you...there you go otherwise your probably screwed...go figure!?

#13 ·
I've gotten super cheap deals on flourite at a petsmart in nashville from pricematching stuff from hobbiest magazines... sometimes you can find ads for flourite *dirt* cheap (i apologize, i really do hate puns), and the manager agreed to pricematch the ad no questions asked. I wish I could remember which store's ad it was that I used, but it seems like I got 2 bags of flourite for under $20. Just give it a shot ;)

Oqsy

#14 ·
I'm going to start setting up my 55 this evening, and will start by making a circuit of 2 PetCos, a Walmart, and a LFS. Want to get going on the tank, so I basically just want the filter, and substrate, and hopefully heater quicker than waiting for shipping. At the WalMart I will pick up odds and ends like a bulb for my 3gal, batting for filter pads, a power strip, a timer, and the like.

Will jumpstart things with mulm & gravel from my 30, and an old filter pad or 2. Will transplant some plants from my existing 30gal, and add in some cheapie fast growers from PetCo - as per Rex's cycling guide. Won't really landscape yet, as I won't have the lighting and CO2 together for a couple of weeks yet. And I need to clean off the piece of wood that is going in there. Will figure out exactly what fish I want to add next week (again, per Rex) - most likely angels, angelicus cats, serpae and cories.

Hopefully, I can get a price match on the flourite and filter at one of the PetCos. At least a match of the PetCo on-line filter price.

Only need a couple of bags of flourite, as I'm going 50/50 with flourite/gravel.
If PetCo won't match the flourite, I'll get it at the LFS where I get 10% off. Again, that gets it close enough to on-line shipped price including overweight charges.

Don't know that the PetCos or LFS stock the Hydor inline heater, tho.

#15 ·
SCORE!
Just made a round of several stores.
The FIRST one, PetSmart, matched priced on flourite AND the XP3 - no questions asked!
4 bags of Flourite marked $24.99 each, bought for $11.99.
XP3 marked $179.99, paid $86.19.
Total with tax, 143.88. Internet prices, without paying for shipping (tho I DID have to pay tax. Boo hoo!)
I was going to go 50/50 flourite/gravel - until I realized the gravel was 12.99 - more than the darn flourite. So I have to suck it up and go wth 100% flourite. Too bad!
An auspicious beginning for the new tank. It's going to be a fun weekend!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.