The Planted Tank Forum banner

Thatgmc's Medium-tech Medium Budget 45G

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  pewpewkittah 
#1 · (Edited)

This is the hard part. Hardscaping. Any tips would help. Im getting a box of manzanita branches soon but I just wanted to mess around with an all rock scape. Couldn't wait to get my tank setup!!!

Equipment:
DIY Stand and Light bar
GlassCages Tank: 36"L x 18"W x 16"H
2 LED Flood lights from Amazon
3 9L Amazonia and 1 9L Amazonia Powder
~30 lbs Seiryu

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Looking great! I'm getting ready to do a rimless 2ft cube in a very similar way. Planning to get the tank from glasscages as well. Are the seams nice and clean on yours? As for discus just wait until you've got your tank parameters nice and steady. If you know you can control the water params then they shouldn't be a problem. They really aren't too bad so long as you can manage the water changes and all (or just go mega planted like I did in my 240g, helps ALOT with water quality). Have you thought about increasing the systems water volume with a sump?

#4 ·
Sup Broski! Nice start to the build man. I'm working on a 60 gallon breeder with similar dimensions. Gonna drill it though XD First time ever drilling a tank. A little scared lol. But I have the drill bit, just gotta finish replacing the front panel with starphire glass.

As far as the scape goes, I think that would look sick as an all rock tank, but just wait for the manzy man. Can't go wrong with seiryu and manzy makes for a baller tank.
What sort of flora do you plan on working with?
Joshua

#5 ·
Quick Update
Ordered a huge amount of emersed HC from tenzero1. Appreciate it man! Couldn't wait to plant even without my wood here. Put some powder Amazonia on the base and went at it. Kind of regretting not putting enough substrate now at the lower places but it should be ok. Hopefully my wood comes in and i'll be able to do a full scape sometime this week.

Also, placed an order for a sunsun filter on amazon. Planning to do the bulk of my tank work this week! WOO

#9 ·
Yeah I like this look and I'll prob play around with the wood to see what options I have. If I incorporate wood I feel like I can add more different types of fauna too. More natural look instead of carpet mountain scape.

Yeah I'm talking to bettatail right meow about a setup. I want the option to have two co2 outputs because I can already feel the spiral towards NTS right now.

#10 ·
Thatgmc's 45G Rimless Tank

I think I like the second one. Picked up some wood from manzanita burl works. Great deal for $59 shipped. I have like 6-7 branches left over. Guess I'll have to start another tank :)

Just messing around with the idea right now. Still want to make sure my hc is nice and rooted.

^thats the most recent update. Another piece that pokes out will have to wait for now.

#17 · (Edited)
No and then!!!

Jk here's a recent fts. I'm ditching the plant in the back. I have a feel it's the reason why all my hc is dying. It's like melting from the roots. My guess is not enough nutrients. It's weird. Anyway I'll prob just fill it up with blyxa for now.

Edit: I added 15 cardinals. 9 of which have died. They all died near the intake so I'm wondering if they are drifting too close to there and just dying or what. But 6 otos are still alive. I also added a roseline. I'm gonna try another 10 cardinals this weekend and 2 more rose lines. Also added about 30 cherry juvies.

#18 ·
From my reading, cardinals are all wild caught and very sensitive, they tend to have a high mortality rate. Same can be said for otos.
Love the blyxa blob on the left side, hope your hc grows back on the right.

#19 ·
Video messing around with the gopro black3
http://youtu.be/xkcJC_FsvDE

Tank pretty much took off last couple months. Let me know if you want some blyxa.

Upgraded to an eheim 2215. The sunsun started leaking really bad and I couldn't fix it. Killed my roseline and a good amount of cardinals because I went out of town for the weekend. Came back my tank was like 60% full.

Thinking about getting a new CO2 setup though.

Looking for a fish that will reproduce and not eat my cherries. Nothing lame like swordtails and mollies though. Maybe some fancy guppies or badis. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.