The Planted Tank Forum banner

n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal - New Update 4-7-2013

43K views 348 replies 48 participants last post by  jerrytheplater 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

This is my first journal. Just rescaped today so I figured, I will start a journal to document the growth and development of the tank. I love low maintenance tanks because I do not have time to manicure and rescape every week.

Filter: 75 Gal Sump

Light: 2x 80 Watts T5, Finnex Rays 2 LED for 8 hours

Water Change: It is hooked up to my automatic water change system so it gets 8% water change per day.

Fert: Modified IE through my auto dosing system.

CO2 : Pressurized CO2 system, it goes on 1 hrs before the light is on and off 30 minutes before the light goes off.

Substrate: ECO Complete mixed ADA Aquasoil Amazonian

Fish: Few Ginga Rubra guppies, few cardina tetra, a few otos (started with 30 of them), a couple of cories.

Plants Updated 1-18-2013:
  • C. Uenoi
  • C. Keei 'Jambusan'
  • C. Keei 'Bau'
  • C. Nurii 'Rompin'
  • C. Bullosa 'Pakan'
  • C. Bullosa 'Sarakei'
  • C. Bullosa 'Bario'
  • C. Nurii Pahang Mutated
  • C. Kota Tingii
  • C. Auriculata Betong
  • C. Auriculata 'Tiger Stripe' Pakan
  • C. Cordata KR01
  • C. Hudoroi
  • C. zukalii
  • C. sp Bukit Ibam "Yellow Ring"
  • C. Cordata 'Rosanervig' with veins
  • C. Minima 'Gasser'
  • C. sp rompin
  • C. aponogetifolia
  • C. Affinis 'Red'
  • C. Purpurea
  • C. Ideii
  • Alternanthera sp. 'variegated'
  • Jumbo Trident Java Fern,
  • Taiwan Moss
  • Fissiden
  • Microsorum pteropus sp. 'red'

See less See more
#149 ·
Full view shot:

C Flamingo: They are not doing too well submerged. They might have to go back to emmerse.

C Rosanervig: It's weird. I got them with veins but some of the new leaves are losing veins and some really show prominent pink veins. They are all in the same condition.

C KR01: They finally send out runners. I see about 3-4 runners.

C Striolata: At first I thought I have lost this crypt but it is going now. It is extremely slow grower.

C Hudoroi: I've gotten 3 runners from this plant already. Definitely a quicker crypt once it is established.

C Minima 'Gasser': Very neat crypt with pink hue on the under size of the leaves.

C Jacobsenii: Leaves are only 1/2 size compares to when I received the plant. But it is keep its color. It has normal crypt growth.

C Nurii: It is a nurii farm.

C Bullosa: The plantlet is about the same size as the mother plant. Still getting good growth and getting a new leaf every two weeks. Twice as fast as most people.

C Nurii 'Rompin': It is growing but I can't get the leaves to grown normal. It always has crinkled leaves like calcium deficiency. But all the other cypts in the tank are fine.

Downoi: It is becoming a farm.

C Uenoi: It is growing pretty good. I have gotten 6 plantlets so far. It is a neat small crypt.

C Keei: I counted 15 runners coming from one plant. It is very prolific crypt!

C Kota Tingii: I thought this was a smaller crypt but it is not. It is at 6" tall. I finally got two runners from this plant.

C sp 'Rompin': Again the leaves are only 1/2 size since I got the plant. It is totally different. It is starting to lose the dark coloration and pattern from the leaves.

C Affinis 'Red Metallic': I love how the veins on the leaves are so intense. It has average growth rate.

C sp Bukit Ibam "Yellow Ring": Again the leaves growth are pretty similar to nurii 'rompin' where it is crinkled.

C zukalii: It is like 4" tall. Much different from when I first got the plant.

C Affinis 'Brown/Green': I already see one of the plant sending a runner.

#151 ·
Those are some great shots Hung. The c bullosa not only grows twice as fast, its twice as colorful than mine. Mine is green to dark green but I see some red in yours.

Your c sp bukit ibam looks like mine when my tank was overdosed on excel. Is there current and co2 flowing to that part of the tank where the crypt is planted? If not, try adding some more current. You do have a pretty big tank.

I am also impressed with the number of c keei runner you have. These spread insanely fast for me as well. Great job man!

as for the c affinis, you'll eventually have more than what you'll need. They spread 2-3 times faster than c keei

#155 ·
Those are some great shots Hung. The c bullosa not only grows twice as fast, its twice as colorful than mine. Mine is green to dark green but I see some red in yours.

Your c sp bukit ibam looks like mine when my tank was overdosed on excel. Is there current and co2 flowing to that part of the tank where the crypt is planted? If not, try adding some more current. You do have a pretty big tank.

I am also impressed with the number of c keei runner you have. These spread insanely fast for me as well. Great job man!

as for the c affinis, you'll eventually have more than what you'll need. They spread 2-3 times faster than c keei
Thanks! I was also pleasantly surprised that the bullosa has more of pinkish/reddish leaves instead of the dark green leaves.

C sp bukit ibam gets the same amount of current as the zukalii as they are right next to each other. The location is right upfront so I think it should get plenty of co2 and current. I haven't overdosed with excel in the tank for a couple months. I will have to keep a close eye on this to see whenever I use excel in the tank.

It is crazy on how fast and how many the c. keei sends runners.

#162 ·

Awesome pics, Hung. Makes me jealous not having those crypts.

I don't think anyone's having any luck with that C. Flamingo. Mine looks more or less the same after more than a month of sitting in one spot. It'll probably fossilize itself soon.
Thanks! You can always setup another tank to get more crypts.

Same experience with flamingos. No growth on submerged or emersed.
My submerged specimen recently disappeared. Doubt it melted. Sae probably moved it and now it's a needle in haystack in my 90 g.
Mine was doing really well... then after awhile it just stop growing.

I did saw someone from APC that had them in emersed setup and it was growing really well. He used old aquasoil.

#173 ·
Well to find that plant is easier said than done to say the least..the last batch of people I knew that got that plant only had like a 75% or less chance to get it to live..and even then I have not seen one grow to it's full potential..It's an expensive plant for one, and also VERY hard to find here in the US for two..I have never heard of anyone that grows and sells this..GOOD LUCK to you for real, I only hope the best..:proud:

But a crypt tank is awesome! I have a good portion of my tank stuffed with crypts and love it..I actually just harvested like 25 c. spirals from my main tank! it was insane how much they propagated!

#174 ·
The tank looks great. I noticed you have ginga rubras, and I have been DYING for some. Do you have any babies for sale yet? Or can you tell me who to contact to pick some up? I know they're pricey, but are the most gorgeous guppies I've ever seen. :)

#176 ·
wow... I haven't update this thread over 1 month.

Quick update: I have been super busy with work and getting my house ready to be put on the market. All my tanks have been neglected. Everything is over grown and some algaes have developed. The tank is not really presentable right now. I need to off load lots of plants to get ready for the upcoming move.

Now I know why I never got into stem plants... too much maintenance!!! or they will take over your tank!!!

Sadly, I have officially lost all my C. Flamingo :(

Good news is I have tons of baby crypts to offer to everyone after one month or so of neglect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.