The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which one?

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Oxl 
#1 ·
Can't tell if this hitchhiker is a pond snail or nerite snail? I've heard pond snails will eat plants? Should I yard him out or leave him be? :help:

See less See more
#8 ·
here would be the procession of bladder snails you count:

Wednesday: one
Thursday: one (think to self "I can handle this")
Friday: two (think to self "still not so bad")
Saturday: three (think to self "dang these suckers are quick")
Following Monday: one million (face to hand)

#11 ·
Exactly this. Just hope that it hasnt layed any eggs/there are any eggs on the plants because once they are in your tank its basically impossiblt to 100% get rid of em. They are a bit easier to keep in control then pond snails though personally havnt jad them breed as fast as them so its easier to keep them in check

#9 ·
I think they are pretty harmless, and even possibly beneficial.

I think the ramshorns and malaysian trumpet snails outcompete the pond/bladder snails in my tank, as I usually get a large pond snail population with a few of the others, and then it tends to turn to mostly MTS and ramshorns, with just a couple pond and bladder.

They eat some algae, uneaten food, biofilms, driftwood fungus, dead plant material, and, if it happens, dead fish.

#10 ·
Pond or bladder snail. They don't eat plants, except for decaying leaves, which helps clean up the tank. They breed profusely if food is plentiful, and that's why many people recommend eliminating them; other people feel they add to the natural feel of a tank and let them stay. What to do is up to you. :)

#12 ·
Great feedback everybody! Thanks. Here is a thought though. Since I am just started dosing excel my algae should remain low, thus limiting the food supply. Maybe that should keep them in check? lol Am I grasping at straws here. He's a pretty cool looking snail and I hate just killing things. hehe Or am I just wishing here? :)

#13 ·
Great feedback everybody! Thanks. Here is a thought though. Since I am just started dosing excel my algae should remain low, thus limiting the food supply. Maybe that should keep them in check? lol Am I grasping at straws here. He's a pretty cool looking snail and I hate just killing things. hehe Or am I just wishing here? :)
You're just wishing, sad to say. I've never seen just ONE pond snail - your experience may differ. But they are easily controlled (eliminated, actually) with assassin snails. So if you want to keep it around for a while (and his unseen buddies), just add some assassins when you get to a number you can't stand anymore.

#16 ·
If you have a planted tank they have food lol. They can eat anything and reproduce insanely fast. I have a betta tank with Java ferns and driftwood, the betta eats every pellet and I still have hundreds in the 5 gallon. I plan on assassin snails cause I keep seeing them appear in my 55 and 75.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#17 ·
If you have a planted tank they have food lol. They can eat anything and reproduce insanely fast. I have a betta tank with Java ferns and driftwood, the betta eats every pellet and I still have hundreds in the 5 gallon. I plan on assassin snails cause I keep seeing them appear in my 55 and 75.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
If they get to be out of control I'll have to go with assasin snails too. :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.