The Planted Tank Forum banner

|Jeff's ADA Mini Fissidens Mini S| Stock suggestions?

18K views 78 replies 22 participants last post by  Couesfanatic 
#1 · (Edited)
So I managed to find time to setup my first ADA tank, a Mini S that I snagged off CL for a pretty good price.

What do you guys think? Just threw this scape together in a few mins, critiques please :)

See less See more
#35 ·
I like how you have kept that far left rock in the same place, that's a perfect positioning. I'm thinking you should really try some left-skewed or right-skewed scapes and see what you get.

I see of course what you mean about using an odd number of rocks to avoid a symmetrical scape; there is irony in the fact, however, that you've managed to make a very symmetrical scape using an odd number of rocks. Quantity's not related to symmetry -- arrangement is! :proud:

Whatever you do, do whatever works best for you. I'm not sure if I'm bothering you, but I feel like I am :icon_lol:

#41 ·
That does look the best yet! A full carpet will look great!
Thanks guys! Now I'm just stuck on flora now. I'm thinking either full carpets of the following: Mini Xmas Moss, Fissidens Fontanus or DHG Belem or a combination of one of the mosses with Belem

#46 ·
I'm still hesitant on the Belem as it requires CO2 and Ferts for it to actually spread decently... It'll be as slower than the fissidens. But that's just what I'm guessing. Anyone got any experience growing 'Belem' without CO2 or water column fertilizing? The only source of ferts they would receive would be from the aquasoil.

I've already moistened the soil, just to give the bacteria a head start or start emersed as an option.

#50 ·
Spent a little under 3 hours yesterday tying some Mini Fissidens onto some SS Mesh. Here's the result: :)

Might have to bend a few pieces for them to hug the substrate more.

Didn't get the very back because it isn't really visible and I ran out of moss. I might reserve that last spot in the back for some C. Parva.

#56 ·
I used two golfballs, thanks Chad!

Had to ration out a bit of each of the 2x2" pieces to get the last few small ones in there.

That's some patience!
Its not that bad when it's winter break and you have nothing else to do and you've already tied tons of pieces before ;)
Nice Jeff!

now i see all that mesh to use LOL!
Yes sir! :hihi:

#61 ·
The seller sent a good amount :) just slightly more than two golfballs, just enough for this tank :) it was however infested with some Spirogyra so ill have to pop an Amano or two in here later on when the tanks done cycling if it spreads.
Lol, nice man. Must have been a PITA to cut that mesh! This tank should look pretty amazing filled in. Good luck!
Not really. A pair of kitchen scissors from kitchen aid did the job :) easy to eye how much I needed to cut out too. It'll be a good amount of time before everything fills in since there's no ferts or CO2 I'm estimating about 3 months? That's assuming that all goes well.
nice work! i wouldnt have the patience to tie all that fissidens to the mesh.
when i do it i usually just take a nice clump and tie it down.
I've tied plenty of fissidens so I don't mind. It gets quicker and quicker the more experience you have. A pair of tweezers is all I needed to spread the moss evenly. Plopping down a clump may give you denser growth but it wastes a lot of moss as well IMO and I needed to cover as much surface as I could so I used the least I could without using not enough that it would make holes in the substrate as some of moss will simply die off and not send out new fronds. Only time will tell.
Very cool! I'm totally inspired to do something similar in my BKK tank.
You won't want to use Seiryu stones through as they raise your GH and pH. This could probably be solved if you had ADA Africana that buffers the pH extremely low along with a few calculations as to how fast the stones raise your GH which would dictate how often you would have to change out water with RO to bring down the hardness of water.

#67 ·
|Jeff's ADA Mini S| Mini Fissidens Carpet 12/31/12

Does algae growth count? :hihi:

Actually though there is a good amount do growth considering there isn't any fertilizer or CO2. I did have a short algae breakout which I solved with 3 amanos and it's slowly under control now.

Some patches have suffered a bit with algae and died off a bit but generally most spots are A-Okay with growth. Slowly but surely :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.