The Planted Tank Forum banner

New shrimps in my tank

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  usgetata 
#1 ·
Today I received the shrimps from speedie. They are beautiful! But then while dripping tank water into their temp holder I realized that they might be too small to be swimming freely in my tank. The clown killifish might eat them for dinner 😱. So for now I have them in the breeding box and see if the fish will try to pick on them through the net...
Anyone has experience with killifish and small shrimps?
Packing materials Material property Plastic bag Plastic wrap Plastic
Plant Botany Leaf Organism Terrestrial plant
Plant Water Plant community Green Terrestrial plant

See less See more
#10 ·
Especially one named "killfish" :icon_roll
And this is exactly how I came to have a shrimp tank. Before they were all large enough to brave the community tank I had 4 berried and I'm sure before those all grow up I'll have more berried. In fact the 1st one has hatched the eggs and is berried again. Guess I'll always have a shrimp tank!

My advice...... just go with it..... enjoy your shrimp tank:thumbsup:

#16 · (Edited)
Especially one named "killfish" :icon_roll
And this is exactly how I came to have a shrimp tank. Before they were all large enough to brave the community tank I had 4 berried and I'm sure before those all grow up I'll have more berried. In fact the 1st one has hatched the eggs and is berried again. Guess I'll always have a shrimp tank!

My advice...... just go with it..... enjoy your shrimp tank:thumbsup:
The name Killifish has nothing to do with their tendencies to kill things. Most of them have the same temperment as your typical Tetra... They just have large mouths compared to body size so they can fit larger creatures in them.

#6 ·
Yeah bad idea, that was some expensive fish food. Move the fish or the shrimp will get eaten or killed by them..... You should really read up before buying shrimp. On the do's and don'ts to shrimp keeping. One of the top things is do not keep with other fish besides ottos..... Even if the fish do not pick at the through the breeder, they will when they become free swimming... If you would like I will pay the shipping and you can send them to me, I will make sure they are safe.

#7 ·
Stupid me. I forgot about the danger because I have 5 medium size CRS and 7 FRS in the tank, and the clown killifish have never bother them. Now I think maybe I can either keep the little shrimps in the breeding box until they get big enough, or move the killifishs to my Betta tank...

#19 ·
I had the same trepidations when I was dropping my juvie speedie shrimps into my tank with CPDs and Rainbow fishes.

The fishes first nipped at the juvies when introduced into the tank but left them alone immediately after that.

I don't know anything about your fishes though.

And, my shrimps did get berried a few times. I think my shrimps are on F3 now. I started with 3 blue velvets and a year later I got 8 bv/sb mutts. So, some fry were shrimp food but enough survived to sustain the line.

I am not breeding shrimps, so this works out fine for me.

#21 ·
IMO, it's time to get another tank that is shrimp specific. It doesn't have to be a large tank and you will be able to watch the colony grow. I just can't bear the thought of one of my little creatures becoming fish food. Eeek. They are such peaceful creatures, they deserve a safe environment free from stress of being eaten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.