The Planted Tank Forum banner

My 3 feet of heaven

4K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  boxhead1990 
#1 ·
12 3w cool white leds, cascade 1200 and 2 other 600lph power filters a 400lph power filter running my reactor, 150w heater, diy c02 (yeast), mts soil with black gravel cap( bit of clay dolomite and kno3 mixed in aswell

Livestock

Bunch of tetra's bunch of cherry shrimp, 3 common pleco's

Plants

Hc, rotala, java fern, java moss, anubias nana, wysteria, ludwigia, crypts(one is getting pretty huge haha)

And I think thats about it

Future plans include going pressurised with c02 and a inline reactor for the c02 to get rid of bottle reactor

And maybe another few led's and painting the frame black and making a base surpund thats also black for around the base of the tank

So watta ya reckon?

Im happy with it as it sits so far
Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
like the tank and the scape maybe a black background will make focal point pop out more nice job

#4 ·
oh i gave the angels to my mum as she said she liked them lol and i wanted the shrimp more

and thats what i was thinking with the background make all the plants and fish stand out more

and i got the driftwood off ebay was pricey but worth it as the local wood around here doesnt like sinking for some reason and makes the tank look crap

#6 ·
Will be better once its over grown with java moss java fern and anubias around the base ;)

Anyone have any tips for when it goes pressurised be getting the rest of what I need(bottle, inline reactor, drop checker,API ph test kit)???

#7 ·
Only two recommendations I have...

On the scape you need to create some dynamics in the substrate such as sloped up in one corner to the front. A little character there can make a huge impact, learned that myself after several tries lol.

On the co2 don't skimp, now you don't need to go by Ada equipment and really drop money. But get good solid equipment to start with and its a good chance it will out live your hobby. Also less headaches and I highly recommend a 2 stage regulator

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
Iv got a 2 stage red needle valve and buble counter with solenoid already haha

And il have to add substrate to do the corner raised idea

Otherwhise il end up with dirt everywhere again(substrate is a bit thin in places I think)

#15 · (Edited)
okay so i have a update

added: 5 rummynose tetra's(yes i really like tetra's i must be getting close to having atleast one of every tetra thats available in brisbane haha)

also a bunch of baby's tears and a bunch of Pogostemon Stellata

my lilypipes also showed up today but the pipe that takes the water out of the tank was broken unfortunatly the other one was fine and i put it to use straight away :p

anyways heres a photo to show how its going since i first started this journal ,

also i forgot to mention i went pressurised c02 yesterday with a cerges style reactor (works really well) cant remember what brand reg and solenoid and that i used it was a kit of ebay i bought ages ago but im still waiting on my drop checkers to arrive so i have am running it at about 1 bubble every few seconds to be safe(less the my diy yeast set up that was doing almost a buble a second haha)
enjoy!

Attachments

#18 ·
Added 2 10w warm white Chinese LEDs yesterday

So I'm up to 56 watts of led power

When I've gotten some money up again I'm going to build a new fixture with Cree 3w diodes running from a arduino and driver shield

As I don't think my LEDs are putting out enough for the plants I been trying to get them to pearl just not happening

Next thing to try is optics which are on there way

#19 ·
So this is tge new and improved scape of the tank

I had a accedent with the saw and broke one of the banches up a bit but i have a bunch of willow moss on its way so that should cover that up nicely heehehe

The equipments changed a little

I have a small stream style wave maker in there instead of the 600lph eyesore the other powerheads still there for overnight oxygen on a timer

The lilypipes are on i got a replacement intake pipe as the original was broken

I ended up pulling all my ludwigia out as it takes over the tank too fast

Anyways enjoy! Plant Light Lighting Automotive lighting Organism

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

#26 ·
This tanks been emptied and will be getting a revamp

So I'm changing to aqua soil and iv removed my old cap and the dirt beneath and I can explain why my swords were melting on one side and not doing all that great on the other

Turns out I had no where near enough dirt under there

Also one side didn't really have dirt there which kinda sucks

I'm going back to Fluro lighting

As a lot of my led have stopped recently then the driver decided to go bang

Don't really wanna wait for stuff from overseas so I'm getting another 2 bulb t5ho unit

And I'm thinking about building a proper stand for this tank and changing over to sump as I'm really over the cascade 1200 I'm using ATM

All it does is keep me awake and I wouldn't mind having the return split into 2 and having one either side and my overflow box in the middle some where

I already have my overflow box but I'd like to modify it to add an extra line so I can tune it to be almost silent

And will be running the same style reactor for my c02 but a lot better and of its own pump in the last chamber

Most likely I will glad wrap and tape up all open areas

So as things start to happen il put them all up here to help me keep track

Oh yeah and all my fish I gave to mum for Christmas

I will be leaving fish out of this tank but I will how ever be adding shrimp to this tank when I have it where I want it and as far as fish go it will be rummy nose tetra's as I really like them fish for so e reason I gues you could say they have been a long time favourite

Iv defiantly gotta change a few things

#27 ·
Makes me sad that the tank is empty next week il have my aquasoil hopefully

And the week after I should have plants in it

Going for a fresh look this time and I'm gunna dry start the hc and see how that goes for me

Orr I could just lay some sand with a layer of osmocoat under it.............

But sand looks dirty quickly tho

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.