The Planted Tank Forum banner

Acceptable size for a pair of Apistogrammas?

665 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  VJM 
#1 ·
Hey, Im looking to getting a Petco 6 gallon bookshelf tank. Its footprint is 24"x8". I only plan on having the pair there with 2 or 3 dither fish. Will they be comfortable in that size tank and still be able to breed? I do plan on having it planted.

#3 ·
I have one of those tanks. The filter it comes with is garbage. Mine leaked, then stopped, then leaked, them jammed. I would get something different honestly but thats my opinion. I've never had apistos but I have had GBR. I would feel comfortable keeping a GBR pair in that tank. I understand apistos would be a little bit bigger so I would say maybe. Which apisto species did you have in mind?

#5 ·
It was the filter that leaked. The tank is perfectly fine. The problem is, because you have to replace the filter, it's really not that good of a deal. If you look at the online reviews you'll see a lot of people had similar problems. If I could do it again I would get one of these

http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua...ums_Nano_Cube-Mr._Aqua-AZ11665-FIAQNC-vi.html

for a little more, ~$65 shipped versus ~$51 after taxes. You would also have to buy a light but the tank would be so much nicer.

That being said if you already have one then the tank is fine just heads up about the filter. Also, saw your other thread. The stock light would be fine, just get a better bulb and you will have no problems. I ran DIY co2 and a ZooMed bulb and had plants pearling like crazy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.