Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share. - Page 19
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 09-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #271
RickyJoeStrummer

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share.

well not sure how to get them here yet but this might work?

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...title=012c.jpg

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...title=003c.jpg

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...title=002c.jpg
RickyJoeStrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #272
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Thank you...an thousand times thank you for this primer!
Glad I could help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJoeStrummer View Post
It is time consumimg to determine what you'll need and costly to put it all together. I spent about 3-4 weeks just researching before I purchased any equipment and it was difficult to find and put it all together but this particular thread was THE blueprint that I used to build my CO2 system. Good luck! and THANK YOU Darkblade48!!!
Again, I'm glad that I could help.

I think the main problem is that trying to build your own CO2 setup takes a lot of time. It does not need to cost a lot (mine cost around $200 including the cylinder).

Quote:
well not sure how to get them here yet but this might work?
Your linked pictures would work; it appears to be a Victor single stage setup.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #273
familytank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Hi there, Just wanted to ad that I have JUST finished putting a CO2 system together based on this thread. I used;
*an aluminum #5 CO2 canister (cost 75$ e-bay, 15$ to fill)...something I did not know when I bought it is that it will have to have a date stamp on it for many places to refil it, so check on that.
*a Victor single stage, dual gauge regulator like the one in the diagram at the beggining of this thread (cost 180$ on e-bay, only found the price goes up from there).
*an Ideal needle valve (cost 70$ aquariumplants.com)
*Burkerk Solinoid (cost 50$ from aquariumplants.com has to be fitted with power cable so check that)
*Aqua Medic Bubble counter (cost 30$ aquariumplants.com mine leakes, ordered one for 20$ that looks a lot better from greenleafaquariums.com)
*Aqua Medic CO2 reactor (cost 120$ aquariumplants.com)
*Mag Drive Pump @ 500 GPH (cost 80$ aquariumplants.com) **this was not mentioned in the original thread that I could find, but you will of course need a pump of some sort. I think some caister filters might be able to handle the load but I would suggest you look into that 1st.
I've done the math for you, I spent 600$ to put this together not including tubing, teflon tape, brass fittings, some screws and little things like that that prolly added another 30-40$ to the cost. I took me two days to make sure I had all of the leaks sealed tight. The bubble counter leaks very very slowly but I have ordered a replacement and that problem should be taken care of very soon. I mounted everything under the stand of my 75 gallon aqaurium so only two 5/8" clear tubes are visible and the uptake has a sponge filter. I also ordered a Drop counter when I ordered the replacement Bubble Counter as I feel after spending the cash I have I want to know precicsely what it is doing and how well. I will update here on what this does for my planted aquarium in a couple weeks, but I wanted to put as much info here as I could think of for anyone about to try this for the first time...It is time consumimg to determine what you'll need and costly to put it all together. I spent about 3-4 weeks just researching before I purchased any equipment and it was difficult to find and put it all together but this particular thread was THE blueprint that I used to build my CO2 system. Good luck! and THANK YOU Darkblade48!!!

I'll try to ad some pics this week just so you can see what it all looks like.
I made my own reactor out of PVC and a couple fittings. cost for me was $5 and that's cause I only had to buy the fittings to adapt to my Fluval hoses and the 3/16 fitting to attach the C02 hose to the side. Mine is not clear tubing like you see in the youtube vids mine is standard PVC but I have 0 bubbles come out of the filter outlet. in no time my levels were awesome and have stayed the same since

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...?albumid=17513
110Gal
2 Golden Rams 2 Electric Blue Rams 2 German Blue Rams 2 Cory cats 7 Long fin Tetras 12 Rasboras 6 Fancytail Guppies 20 Neon Tetras 2 plecostomus 1 is albino 2 Candy cane Tetras 5 White tip Tetras
familytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #274
snarf
Algae Grower

Very good write up and thanks for your hard work.

I have a question (it might be a stupid one but I am new-ish to co2) would there be any merit to diffusing co2 through the substrate using tubing arranged in a serpentine fashion (similar to under-gravel heaters) with small holes poked in it?

I'd imagine a medium sized gravel would work quite well to diffuse the bubbles and a more direct route to the plants as it diffuses out, the only possible problems I could foresee (and I might have just answered my own question) is the gas pressure would have to overcome the pressure from gravel or be trapped and/or it might build up and release large pockets all at once, also it seems there would be a high unpredictability factor.

Thanks.
snarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #275
Darkblade48

The substrate would probably prevent the CO2 from coming out until it became a rather large bubble, at which point it would float to the surface, possibly moving your substrate at the same time.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 AM   #276
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think it might work with a true undergravel filter if the co2 line was plumbed into the intake of the powerhead, or whatever pump was creating the downflow. Preferrably pre-diffused with a chopstick or airstone, etc. Because underneath the platform you'd have a wide body of water with decent circulation, under a certain degree of pressure.

Otherwise, what ^he said.

*Edit: Actually this might be a fantastic idea. Say you have a reactor already with near 100% dissolution. Instead of routing it to the tank via spray bar or whatever, pump it down through an undergravel filter, and let the CO2 enriched water seep up from the bottom to the top. Idk, just a thought...

Last edited by burr740; 10-18-2014 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: .
burr740 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:00 AM   #277
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
*Edit: Actually this might be a fantastic idea. Say you have a reactor already with near 100% dissolution. Instead of routing it to the tank via spray bar or whatever, pump it down through an undergravel filter, and let the CO2 enriched water seep up from the bottom to the top. Idk, just a thought...
Sounds like you're trying to use the premise of a RUGF and pumping CO2 rich water through it.

Might be more hassle than it's worth, since generally RUGF plates are not used for fear of roots getting tangled.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #278
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fair point. Yeah a rugf is what Im talking about. I just got to thinking about various scenarios. It would definitely require a certain kind of platform and a deep(?), fine gravel bed.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #279
ray-the-pilot
Planted Member

Quote:
*a Victor single stage, dual gauge regulator like the one in the diagram at the beggining of this thread (cost 180$ on e-bay, only found the price goes up from there).
*an Ideal needle valve (cost 70$ aquariumplants.com)
*Burkerk Solinoid (cost 50$ from aquariumplants.com has to be fitted with power cable so check that)
*Aqua Medic Bubble counter (cost 30$ aquariumplants.com mine leakes, ordered one for 20$ that looks a lot better from greenleafaquariums.com)
Why didn’t you get the AP.com CarbonDoser Electronic Co2 Regulator.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_Electronic_Co2_Regulator_p/co2.htm
It takes the place of all of these and only costs $270. I have had two for (I guess) 5 years and they are fantastic.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 PM   #280
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-the-pilot View Post
Why didnít you get the AP.com CarbonDoser Electronic Co2 Regulator.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/CarbonDoser_Electronic_Co2_Regulator_p/co2.htm
It takes the place of all of these and only costs $270. I have had two for (I guess) 5 years and they are fantastic.
There was a thread several years ago where a user took apart this product. It is simply a solenoid that opens and closes rapidly.

I believe the general consensus was that having an entire system rely on a single point of failure was a bit unsettling. Furthermore, the equipment used itself was not worth $270.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #281
ray-the-pilot
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
There was a thread several years ago where a user took apart this product. It is simply a solenoid that opens and closes rapidly.

I believe the general consensus was that having an entire system rely on a single point of failure was a bit unsettling. Furthermore, the equipment used itself was not worth $270.
BTW the normal position for the system is "off" so it fails safe.
What am I missing here?
It is simple, it works, costs less and fails safe!

Maybe it is like the IPhone. The equipment used to make it is not worth the price of the phone but it is cool to have one.

I guess a really good regulator is not cool if it isn't the same old way.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #282
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray-the-pilot View Post
BTW the normal position for the system is "off" so it fails safe.
What am I missing here?
It is simple, it works, costs less and fails safe!

Maybe it is like the IPhone. The equipment used to make it is not worth the price of the phone but it is cool to have one.

I guess a really good regulator is not cool if it isn't the same old way.
Here are some threads with regards to the topic:

Take a look at what people have said about the electronic regulators that Aquarium Plants.com produces:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...ctor-dual.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...regulator.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...ronic-co2.html

Nowadays, it may not be possible to build a cheap (dual stage) system due to supply and demand, but when I built my setup, I managed to get everything (dual stage regulator, needle valve, solenoid, bubble counter, all fittings, and a 10 pound CO2 cylinder) for around $200, making this particular regulator not worth it.

That being said, you could purchase the cheapest single stage keg regulator that you can find and put a solenoid and needle valve on it, and call it a day too. Ultimately, it will achieve the same goal (namely, injecting CO2 into the aquarium).

What happens along the way (reliability, accuracy, whether or not it breaks down) are just additional things to consider that may increase the cost of a product in the end, so what you decide to purchase in the end depends on what you value the most.

The same goes for anything else (cars, electronics, clothing, etc). Why do some people buy a second hand car, while others purchase luxury sedans?

Old Yesterday, 02:17 AM   #283
ray-the-pilot
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Nowadays, it may not be possible to build a cheap (dual stage) system due to supply and demand, but when I built my setup, I managed to get everything (dual stage regulator, needle valve, solenoid, bubble counter, all fittings, and a 10 pound CO2 cylinder) for around $200, making this particular regulator not worth it.
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. This thread is so old that the technology has passed it by!