The Planted Tank Forum banner

What are your other hobbies?

28K views 267 replies 147 participants last post by  Spiderguy 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm interested what other hobbies my fellow crazy planted tankers enjoy, so figured I'd start with my other money sucking addiction - racing RC cars/trucks. I truly have a problem with this one, I currently own 14 cars. :eek5: :help: 9 are used only for racing, 4 are vintage from my childhood that I've had for over 22 years, and one is a serious rock crawler with 4 wheel steering. I also have 2 helicopters, a plane, and a fan boat. I could fill my basement with tanks for the cost of these things, but god is it fun! Some pics of a couple of my cars in action!

Here are the tracks I frequent the most:
www.dirtrunners.com
www.barnstormersrc.com
www.station2racewaypark.com
www.critterraceway.com

So, what else are you TPT folks into?

See less See more
#2 ·
Recently I decided that I was going to finally learn to kiteboard this summer.

Then I found out about speed flying with skis. http://vimeo.com/17909042

Basically, my next hobby will be using kites and parachutes and stuff to take my normal sports like skiing and watersports to another level... Oh and break my bank.

I'm also just beginning to get into watches. The nice kinds...

Within the year I plan to buy a Cannon 5D and finally start doing some nicer photography and maybe video stuff (indie videos/movies etc) with some friends.

Oh and I love to travel...

I need to take up cheap hobbies... like walking, or naping or dancing or something. Actually I'm working on picking up a dance minor it is fun stuff.

Did I mention I'm supposed to just be a Uni. student? meh... Life is short.

On a bit of an unrelated note, planted aquarium and the design aspect has heavily influenced my life over the years, and refined my tastes in design significantly. Something I never expected for sure that changes how I look at the world and everything in it. It is pretty amazing what hobbies can do to oneself besides break banks.

PS. Are those the nitro RC cars?

-Andrew

#10 · (Edited)
PS. Are those the nitro RC cars?

-Andrew

No, i only run electric. Less maintenance, quiet, cheaper to run because nitro fuel is up around $30 per gallon. Nitro is already on it's way out. Tougher laws regarding emissions and noise are slowly killing it. Same thing with motocross and your weed whacker, in the next decade or so expect changes with 2 stroke engines.

Speed kite ski flying looks awesome!

Nah, I just kinda wing it most of the time. I'm more of a freestyle sleeper and just go by my own rules.
Haha,
I'm a bit of a freestyle sleeper myself!

Forgot to add. I like to plank and go coning.

Here I am in wal-mart, planking.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...85054352_1172552669_32380241_1997356134_n.jpg

Anybody else do some awesome planking?
Lol to this too, i had to Google coning.

#5 ·
I am into most the hobbies listed. My main passion is aquariums but I have dabbled in:

Airplanes (like real airplanes that you pilot...not R/C)
R/C airplanes and cars
Kiteboarding
Scuba diving
Napping (took a 3 hour nap today)
Photography (But I have a crappy camera)
Hiking
Swimming
Skiing
Growing veggies, and house plants
Trying to convince my mother to let me have a snake (the hardest of them all)

90% of my time is dedicated to aquariums though

#26 ·
Nice mix of different hobbies, what an interesting group of people we have here. Keep em coming.
Painting Water Colors and doing occasional art shows. Fishing.. to eat. Striped Bass, croakers, spot, drum, seatrout

I used to draw all the time, spent 4 years in art school. Post up some pics of your work if you can, I'll get some up of mine later. I fish all the time, living lakefront makes it easy. I release mine though, not that i wouldn't eat them, i love to eat fish. Just would rather catch them again with more weight on them.
Or maybe lawn-mowing.

If lawn mowing were a hobby it would by no means be cheap. A good ride on zero turn can run $20k+ easily!

I'm pretty big into skiing, just bought some double tipped skis last year to learn how to do 360's and grind on rails. A Hill, I would love to try Speed Kiting someday, but do you need a license of some sort for that kind of stuff?
I used to do a lot of painting for mini figures and sell them on eBay (kinda of geeky but surprisingly made a lot of money for a 13 year old star wars fan at that time!:icon_lol:).
But now with school I pretty much stick to sports and aquariums. Anybody play Hacky Sack and soccer my goal is to learn how to do free style soccer? Or collect money? Been collecting money from around the world since I was around 6 or 7 years old, it starting to become an impressive list of countries I've collected from so far!
Of course I'm looking to go into hobbies like Mountain Biking (which seems to be too expensive at the moment:icon_sad:) and looking to venture into Scuba diving. I would love to dive in the famous underwater blue caves in to bahamas some day!
Skiing, snowboarding, hacky, soccer, MTBing. All things i enjoy. Knee problems in HS ended my soccer career. Check online forums, Craigslist etc for a MTB used. I picked up a $1500 bike for just over $300 that way. Just needed a tune up.

As far as a hobby being geeky. When you get a little older you realize nothing that makes you happy is geeky, who cares what other people think.

#13 ·
I raise orchids, love perennial gardening as well... makes sense, what with the planted tank hobby. I also ride horses--am currently working with a beautiful appaloosa who came into the ranch where I ride as a rescue. If only my hobbies were cheaper.... Like origami. Or maybe lawn-mowing.

#17 ·
Thanks "Travis" (Calahoula) is my 3rd.

I really like the leg work pic. Your dog looked to be in great shape in that pic.
It can be hard to get a good working action pic. I love the focus your dog has. Great drive coming into the bite.

My "Elsa" can really get a lot of air for a Rotty. I'm on the other end of the long line. :biggrin:

#18 ·
Yeah, Bandit, he had the most incredible drive in a dog I've ever seen. His obedience was so tight, he was a machine. He was a jumper too, had no problem hopping a 4 foot fence.

I am sad to this day we had to find a new home for him. He bit my son in the face. It wasn't really anyone's fault but after that we figured better safe than sorry. My son who was 3 at the time ran at the dog who was laying down outside, tripped, and fell on to him. Bandit gave a snap and a tooth caught my son right next to his nose and he needed 3 stitches to close it.

#19 ·
I use to do a lot of software and hardware mods with Xboxs, lighting, leds, etc.

on and off with the planted tank of course. Otherwise i spend the rest of my time with Golf or finishing my MBA.

#20 ·
I'm pretty big into skiing, just bought some double tipped skis last year to learn how to do 360's and grind on rails. A Hill, I would love to try Speed Kiting someday, but do you need a license of some sort for that kind of stuff?
I used to do a lot of painting for mini figures and sell them on eBay (kinda of geeky but surprisingly made a lot of money for a 13 year old star wars fan at that time!:icon_lol:).
But now with school I pretty much stick to sports and aquariums. Anybody play Hacky Sack and soccer my goal is to learn how to do free style soccer? Or collect money? Been collecting money from around the world since I was around 6 or 7 years old, it starting to become an impressive list of countries I've collected from so far!
Of course I'm looking to go into hobbies like Mountain Biking (which seems to be too expensive at the moment:icon_sad:) and looking to venture into Scuba diving. I would love to dive in the famous underwater blue caves in to bahamas some day!

#21 ·
I would collect money, but I'm having a hard enough time collecting enough US currency :hihi:

And if you are buying new skis, check out goodwill for skis, I found a pair of brand new twin tip skis (still had tag) and boots for only $60.

Sent from TapaTalk

#22 ·
Mountain biking can be VERY expensive. I have a frame, just a frame, that cost me $1400. Wheels that cost $660. A seat that is $100. Seat post that is $75....ect....you can see it can be costly.

SCUBA is pretty pricey too when you are just getting started. Don't even start me on the cost of photography...like I said, all the cool hobbies are too expensive.

#23 ·
I try to minimize my hobbies until my life is somewhat in "order." Otherwise, they can become too much of a distraction and money drain. At the moment, it is photography--although I can make some money from it as well. Cycling is also my other hobby but I don't ride as much. Exercise is always good. And of course, planted aquarium.

#28 ·
My username should be a good indication of what my other "hobby" is. I'm just a so-so diamond player though, nothing special.

(It's Starcraft 2, for those that are not into RTS games)

For a while I really got into researching headphones and in-ear monitors at head-fi.org. The interest kinda died down after I got entry-level stuff for my needs.

I'm also a bit of a car geek and spend quite a bit of my free time reading car enthusiast sites.

#32 ·
For a while I really got into researching headphones and in-ear monitors at head-fi.org. The interest kinda died down after I got entry-level stuff for my needs.
I forgot all about headphones. That's another hobby I guess. Here is my modest rig....

DAC and amp

Modded Grado SR 325i

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro

AKG K701

Fischer Audio FA-002w

#41 ·
Nice! Are you a fan of Harold Edgerton? All you photogs out there can thank him for perfecting strobes. He never considered himself an artist but just amazing, amazing stuff. Some of his more notable accomplishments (of which there are a lot)
Has had pieces hanging in the MOMA since it's first photographic exhibit.
Revolutionized sports photography.
Directed use of strobes for nighttime aerial recon photography, providing vital intel about troop movements in enemy territory. They are used in the nights immediately preceding the D-day invasion of Normandy, during the Battle of Monte Cassino, and in campaigns in the Far East.

Designed and operated systems that timed and fired US nuclear bomb tests. Edgerton and colleagues invented a camera (the Rapatronic) capable of photographing nuclear explosions from a distance of seven miles. These single-use cameras were able to snap a photo one ten-millionth of a second after detonation, with an exposure time of as little as ten nanoseconds, which is ten billionths of a second.

To put that in perspective, in roughly ten nanoseconds, light moves only ten feet!

Worked extensively with Jacques Cousteau. They explored and photographed sea floors from the Mediterranean to Lake Titicaca in the Andes Mountains.
Developed and used side-scan sonar to find sunken warships on the ocean floor.
Published many articles for National Geographic magazine. His first, "Hummingbirds in Action" contained high-speed photographs that illustrated for the first time the wing movement and flight patterns of Hummingbirds.
Won countless awards, patents, and the entire time creating mind-blowing images.
Sorry for the ramble, obviously I'm a big fan of his, and some of your photos remind me of his.

#34 ·
Sweet sweet audio equipment there Nubster. Those definitely walk all over my stuff, at least price-wise. I've auditioned the DT-990 and SR-325is and quite liked them. I would've purchased those two if I didn't restart my ADA tank hahahaha!

Do I see the bigger bowl pads on that SR-325? How do you like that mod?

#35 ·
My favorite is the Grado but after I modded it. I popped it apart, punched holes in the drivers, added dampening to the magnet, and removed this plastic ring that is in there to help hold the screen in place but isn't needed. I also de-buttoned them. The sound is more open, bass a little deeper, separation is better. Soundstage, not much improvement but they are Grados. The sound with them is just so clear and powerful. I wouldn't say transparent or true, again, they are Grado and there is a known Grado sound. But these things are a joy. The G-cushes are a great upgrade. They make the headphones more comfy and they open them up a little bit. I think there is a slight increase in bass with them too.

A very close second is the Fischers. They are a bargin headphone that just does it all very solidly. Bass is nice and punchy and goes deep. Soundstage is decent, not the best, but certain acceptable. Separation is ok. The sound is just really, really nice and they are very comfortable and being closed, they really isolate well.

I really like the DT 770 Pro. They have great soundstage and separation was good. These are a bass head's delight. They need an amp for sure. All of them do really even though some will argue the Grados do not. Trust me, they do.

The AKG are my least favorite. They just lacked life. They have great soundstage and are extremely comfortable but they just didn't do anything for me. They are pretty flat and no bass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.