The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA 60F "Les Montanges de Top Gear" last shots before shutdown

18K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  @marko@ 
#1 · (Edited)
So my girlfriend bought me this tank for my birthday back in September.

After having it sit in a corner of my house for a few months I decided to finally set it up after I sold my riparium

Here's how it sits now

This was my inspiration for the scape

The tank has azoo substrate and ohko stone I bought from a club member a few months ago. Lighting will be my 11x3watt LED set up I ran over my riparium. I'm doing an HC dry start for now. The plan is to have HC pretty much everywhere and some fissidens or mini pelia on the rocks. I still have to get my co2 stuff so I'm waiting on that before I plant the rest of the HC (Still have 3 pots)

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#5 ·
ok so the hc did not fare very well because my light wasn't putting off the right spectrum. I've added some 2700k and 4500k white LEDs to counter balance the 10000k whites i've had on it and so far it's doing better.

I removed all the HC, and got some Mini Pelia and fissidens in and glued onto the rocks. I'm going to get some more HC this weekend and do another dry start.

the plan is to have HC all along the bottom and the mosses on the mountains. Need more moss too

Anyways, some pics

and a FTS

#8 ·
Aren't they all though.

Anyway, your old perspective mini-m was pretty boss, and I have a soft spot for the -f's so I am excite for this tank.

They guy on 'baaps was right though, where's the mini Jeremy Clarkson? :icon_neut

#11 ·
I'm not sure if this form of "graffiti'' has hit your city yet, but with Vancouver being so full of art student/hipsters, you can randomly find words and pictures on the sides of buildings from people who do this.
They blend the moss with water and nutrients (probably old tank water) and add a little bit of buttermilk (not exactly sure what that does) and then they use a brush and paint words like "Love" and "Beautiful" or whatever on the sides of buildings. Secretly at night they mist them and then randomly like a couple weeks later there is a word on the side of a building ''painted'' in moss...
Pics:
https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C....,cf.osb&fp=c945e1bdc8e076ff&biw=1366&bih=667

#12 ·
I've seen the article on those moss paintings, pretty cool.

I chopped up the moss with some scissors and just sprinkled them all over the substrate. My worries is that it won't stay down once flooded and the moss will just float up into the tank. The moss thats on the rocks is glued on now.

#14 ·
ok, so I attempted to do what YouJettisonMe did and have the mini pelia grow on the substrate directly, but after reading zeldar's journal, although initially successful, the MP eventually started floating away from the substrate, not what I want to do after having grown it out for so long.

I tied it all to stainless steel mesh and placed them all along the top of my mountains instead and the rest is glued to the rocks so they're not going anywhere.

I also added the elatine hydropiper from Raymond, really cool plant. It's yellowing a little because I was out of town for 4 days and was unable to spritz it (plus my spritz bottle broke)

My HC is growing in nicely too

And finally a FTS. I'm moving to SF in May so this tank will remain dry start until then. I don't want to set it all up to only have to tear it down in a few weeks.

#17 ·
the moss will cover all of the mesh so that no steel can be seen. the moss will cling to the soil, it's just that it'll probably very very easily uproot itself once it grows in a little thicker. The soil already isn't the heaviest substrate. It might work if I went with a heavier substrate like akadama.

I got worried after i read this journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...34-zeldars-mini-m-mist-really-sticking-5.html

#28 ·
SO MUCH ALGAE!!!!

I got blue green algae all over the place. I thought it'd be fine if I dosed ethryomycin and bumped up the co2 but it's not working.

And it's not for a lack of flow either, I have the 2232 running full blast and some of the thickest spots are run in front of the blast

#29 ·
Ok so I reset the tank. The azoo soil was not doing very well for me and I was getting non stop BGA. I think because the azoo soil just buffers pH down and doesn't actually have any nitrogen in it. I wasn't dosing my nitrogren at EI levels since I assumed the soil would release some (as aquasoil does).

I tore it down, and refilled it with aquasoil powder type. Never used powder before but it fits with the scale of the tank. I also replaced my cal aqua lab outflow with an ada mini p-2 lily pipe. While the aqualab pipe looks great, the flow gets pointed downwards, and in a shallow tank like this, all it was doing was blowing the soil around.

I tried to reset the scape the same way I had it but couldn't get it just right. I think I like this one better anyhow!

On to pics!

Boo, it has the new logo :mad:

Wish this was Amano's signature!

Stuck some stems behind one of the mountains to soak up excess nutrients. I think it's rotala sp. vietnam

FTS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.