The Planted Tank Forum banner

AC50 or AC70 29 gallon

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  zarich 
#1 ·
I have a 29 gallon planted tank. Right now I am between a ac50 and an ac70. I have a couple of endlers and some shrimp and one gourami. I don't want heavy flow, but need to make sure the tank stays clean. I have a small biosponge rated for 10gallons I think. and a top fin 20.. both seem to be doing an okay job right now. but obviously it isn't enough.

$30 for the 50
$40 for the 70

Thoughts?

#2 ·
Honestly, I'd go and get an AC110, but an AC70 with a prefilter sponge is more than adequate for a 29G. It'll keep your tank water pristine. Make sure to keep your current filters when you add the new filter. You don't want your tank going into a mini cycle from removing too much beneficial bacteria. Also, I would ditch the carbon pack it comes with and get a purigen bag. Works so much better as a water polisher and doesn't foul as quickly as carbon.

#9 ·
Tank Filtration

I have a 29 gallon planted tank. Right now I am between a ac50 and an ac70. I have a couple of endlers and some shrimp and one gourami. I don't want heavy flow, but need to make sure the tank stays clean. I have a small biosponge rated for 10gallons I think. and a top fin 20.. both seem to be doing an okay job right now. but obviously it isn't enough.

$30 for the 50
$40 for the 70

Thoughts?
Hello z...

A Hagen AC50 is plenty for a 29 G tank. All you need is a filter with a gallon per hour rating 4 times the volume of your tank, so a 120 gph filter is fine. Your AC50 has a gph of 200, so there's extra filtration.

Just follow a sound, weekly water change routine and you don't need to over filter your tank.

B

#12 ·
Tank Filtration

Hello again z...

Not sure. Maybe they think putting a lot of filtration in the tank will keep the water clean, but only large, weekly water changes can do that. Maybe they want to double up on the filtration in case one quits, but my filters have run for years with no problems.

A lot of people over filter their tanks and that's fine, I guess. Maybe, they have "deep pockets". My pockets are pretty shallow, so I get by with the basics.

Just guessing, though.

B

#13 ·
I got an AC70 for my 18g tank. No heavy flow on low setting and I use a prefilter. I think an AC110 would be great for 29g.

#14 ·
It's called an AC50 because it's rated for tanks up to 50 gallons. Hagen recommends 20 to 50 gallon tanks. I don't disagree wit the suggestion to use the AC70 since a nominal increase in cost gives you flexibility in the future. My old AC50 ran 24/7 for 7 years until I gave away the whole setup. You can expect the little sucker to run forever so you might as well give yourself the ability to move it to another tank.

AC110 is nuts. That would be 500 gal/hr. Cost about $65 which is a lot more than $30.

#17 · (Edited)
Do you plan on placing the filter on the back or the side of your tank?

I've run both an AC50 and AC70 on a 29 gallon at different times.

Currently I'm running an AC70 on the side of my 20L, and it's turned down to it's lowest setting. If I were running a 29 gallon it would be in the same position but turned all the way up.

Whatever you decide on, DON'T go with the AC50. You'll be disappointed with your flow and media space limitations.

The AC70 is so worth the $10 difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.