The Planted Tank Forum banner

20 gallon high lighting

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  GulfCoastAquarian 
#1 ·
I am beginning the process of going with live plants for the first time. The light hood I have only accepts the one 18 inch 15 watt fluorescent bulb. Everything I read indicates I probably need more wattage. Any guidance?

#2 ·
I've also got a 20 gallon high, although I'm using it for a Reef tank. I tried retrofitting the original canopy with Power Compacts, but even if you can get a 24" 55 watt bulb to fit, it will most likely overheat the plastic housing and melt it. A 36 watt would fit easily, though, and shouldn't be difficult to cool with a few venting slots cut into the housing. But a single 36w light would still only provide marginally adequate lighting to grow plants with low to medium lighting demands.

I eventually bult a wood canopy and stuck four 18" tubes run by a single 4-F32T8 ballast for a total of 60 watts (3 wpg) and am very pleased. If you're fairly competent with a set of wire strippers and interested in wiring up one of these, shoot me an email at sponjican@oreck.com and I'll walk you through it.

My instinct is always to do it yourself and jury-rig it, hehe, so if you want a straightforward canopy with adequate lighting, just buy one of these:

23" Plastic Lighthouse Compact Aquarium Light, 1 bulb 55 Watt $55.00

#3 ·
Looks like I am going to do a DIY with a power compact kit from ahsupply. Looks like the light kit will sit on a glass top. Are these available or is it cheaper to go cut my own. Of course if anyone has any other suggestions about my intentions please let me know. Thanks

#4 ·
The AHsupply kit needs a custom built wood canopy, or an adequately sized housing to mount the bulb, ballast and reflector to.

The $55 strip light on the pet liquidators link I posted is complete and ready to go, including your choice of bulb. They even have a Plant Growth bulb with half red and half white tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.