The Planted Tank Forum banner

Betta Tank

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kudaria 
#1 ·
Currently my betta is in this tank - http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=6130.

Just a basic layout so far, but I thought I'd ask other betta owners what their fish seemed to enjoy in their tanks to make things more entertaining and interesting for them.

My betta does seem to enjoying tucking himself into the anubuis and java fern behind the largest rock whenever he wants a quiet moment as well as letting the intake grill hold him in place. I'm just not certain what else I could put in the tank to make it more betta friendly.

#2 ·
My bettas love the anubias and java fern in my tanks, too. Once they get very large they make great refuges.

The other thing I've found mine like are floating plants. I have a floating water sprite in each of my betta tanks. They love to lounge in them, and if the light is bright enough then it won't bother the plants below them.

#3 ·
My bettas seem to love any plantings that are thick enough for them to slowly wiggle through. They stalk through them like little lizards, even though they rarely find any prey! They seem to enjoy themselves and are very often active.

They also seem to appreciate the more open areas, though, so I am not suggesting crowding his tank with too many plants.
I have one bettas that loves 'crawling' through my microswords, and the other slowly creeps around in my stem plants and anubias (they are in different tanks). Sometimes he will intentionally wedge himself in a plant and stare out.
I think that if you vary the habitat then they seem to have more to do with themselves. Mine are always exploring, even if the tank stays the same!

#4 ·
I suspected he might like a few more plants to move around, he does spend a lot of time finding ways to move around the few plants already in the tank.

He does need something to do as he spends alot of time in the front corners of the tank running up and down the glass. Last night he actually slammed so hard into the substrate that he dazed himself the silly fish. I'm starting to suspect that the rounded corners have a mirrored effect on the inside of the tank and he things there is another betta there perhaps?

#5 ·
I always make sure to have a tall plant in one of the tank corners, even if it has to be a silk. I find my bettas like to hang out in the taller plants more than anywhere else. I also agree with the floaters - altho my males seen to like the floaters more than my females. I use duckweek.

#6 ·
Well I ordered a few new plants for my betta's tank and this is the end result after thinking about everyone's suggestions.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/yourtanks.php?do=view&id=6130

As you can see I separated out the dwarf baby tears and planted them in the front after making a pathway of sorts with white stones. Behind that are microswords, then dwarf variegated japanese rush and myrio to the left and ludwigia peruensis behind the stone along with anubius coffefolia.

He already seems to be enjoying it alot and goes around and around the tank exploring though the leaves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.