The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is anyone an instructor/admin at a college or university?

4K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  Silmarwen 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to what someone in a position of authority at a college might think about this course I'm taking, and the situation I've encountered in it. I've told friends, but most of my friends are also college students, and would naturally side with me thinking that this is patently unfair. Of course, others are welcome to weigh in, as well...

In one of my courses, we have been given the additional assignment of 15 hours of "Academic Service-Learning." This is not in place of the weekly readings, individual presentations, essays, and term paper, but in addition to it. It was not mentioned in the course description at all, nor was there any sort of email sent before the class began regarding the additional requirements.

It is only a 300-level course (I'd understand further work required in, say, a capstone, thesis, or graduate-level course, but not in a 300-level). It is a course that is required for my major, and it is the only section offered this academic year. The professor announced at the beginning of the class, "If you don't have time for the service-learning component, then consider taking another section or putting it off until a later semester."

I am actually quite furious at the situation, since my schedule does not have time for community service at either of the designation institutions (one of which is a 9-5 office). The professor, after I explained my problems with the requirement, informed me that she would not take off points for "being a few hours short" of the requirements, but that she was "Afraid the quality of your final research paper will be affected." Given that she already took two points off of a 50-point essay for a single typo, I'm a little afraid that she will deliberately grade me extra harshly because of my situation.

I physically do not have any available hours open during my days to visit any of the other faculty in the department (including my faculty mentor), but I don't want to take it way over my professor's head and email the Dean or anything. It's stressing me out way more than I have the physical energy for, given other issues with school and work this semester. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I maybe SHOULD take this to the dean? My professor herself was entirely unsympathetic even when I nearly cried in front of her trying to explain to her how impossible it was for me to finish the hours (it had been an already stressful day).

See less See more
#2 ·
I used to be an adjunct professor.

I'd just take the course from another professor later. If that's not possible, talk to the head of the department about the unexpected work load not outlined in the syllabus. Don't go to the dean for these matters.

Or do the community service. We're talking about 1 hour per week of service.

#4 ·
We were actually only given about 5 weeks within which to complete the hours; the hours are due tomorrow, so it's more or less done with. I have to continue with another hour (min) a week because of the program I switched to when I couldn't finish at the first location, which is frustrating because I offered to switch programs instead of begging off the hours, thinking she'd be glad I tried to take responsibility in finding an alternative, instead of berating me for "not planning well"...

I'm not, and have never been, in a position of authority at a school of higher learning (though I did graduate from college ...eventually). However, there are a few thoughts that crossed my mind:

One, a 300-level class is an advanced class. I would definitely expect extra work, possibly including work that involved traveling beyond campus. There are few situations which require students to take 300-level classes outside their major or minor, and I would expect to possibly have to go "above and beyond" in 300- or 400-level courses.

Two, I can understand the extra 15 hours of "academic service-learning" outside of normal homework, if those 15 hours were (on paper, anyway) in lieu of 15 hours of normal assignments. A semester is maybe 4 months. That means an extra 4 hours a month, or maybe 1 hour a week ...in the vast majority of circumstances, given some planning, this is not much to ask. The head of the department probably knows (and definitely should know) something about this, as it's slightly outside the norm. And they probably signed off on it.

Three (on the other hand), springing this on students after they signed up for, and paid for, and arrived at class, is unfair. Especially since many or most students, depending on the school, work as well as go to school.

And four, if you don't physically have time to take it up with anybody, including your mentor (who I think you implied is in that department?), you're screwed. Make time. If it continues to be unresolved, the department head is next. Unfortunately, if your teacher, your mentor, and your department head disagree with you, then going to the Dean will be totally useless.

And five: You have certain periods of time, during the day, or week, or month, that you can choose to devote to whatever you wish. I understand you have very little free time, but there's rarely any such thing as an inability to make time for something you *have* to do. If the suggested times for this off-campus learning don't coincide with the times you can make available, then why not do a bit of research into institutions which will allow you to do service when you *do* have time? There are still places which function in the wee hours of the night, for example. Or one four-hour Sunday afternoon per month. Then, bring that proposal to your teacher, and see what happens.

Good luck!

*edit* ^+1 to mistergreen. If you can avoid the issue without annoying any of your instructors, all the better. If you're at a big school, switching classes between semesters should be fairly easy. If it's a small school, maybe not so much, but still worth investigating. I went to a small school (<2000), so I pretty much sucked it up when I had to, even after I became an adult student, which is when "life" and "school" didn't overlap nearly as much.
Unfortunately, our professor gave us a choice of two institutions to work with, one of which was the 9-5 office hours (I attend class from 9:30 until noon, and then work 2 until 8pm most weekdays), and the other of which involved intensive one-on-one interaction, which I wasn't comfortable with. She would not consider other institutions--another student asked in class about it.

As I noted in my above reply there; we had 5 weeks to do it in.

I take my understanding of 300-level work from a number of courses I've taken at that level in Japanese, Psychology, and other Anthropology courses, most of which had extra projects and presentations, but none of which required me to go off-campus. My university isn't huge, but it's large enough campus that a significant portion of students have to get by without vehicles, and professors generally understand that, I thought.

I assume I'm overreacting to all of this, but with everything else that's gone on this semester, wrestling with the school over other things and so on, my stress-level has been through the roof. I've gotten sick twice just because my immune system is crap right now, so I'm dreading how thinks are going to be around the end of the semester with finals and so on. This is just one of the few large things that I can pin stress on, you know?

Thanks for your input, though. I do appreciate it. I'm trying to rationalize all of this and it does help hearing other points of view.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not, and have never been, in a position of authority at a school of higher learning (though I did graduate from college ...eventually). However, there are a few thoughts that crossed my mind:

One, a 300-level class is an advanced class. I would definitely expect extra work, possibly including work that involved traveling beyond campus. There are few situations which require students to take 300-level classes outside their major or minor, and I would expect to possibly have to go "above and beyond" in 300- or 400-level courses.

Two, I can understand the extra 15 hours of "academic service-learning" outside of normal homework, if those 15 hours were (on paper, anyway) in lieu of 15 hours of normal assignments. A semester is maybe 4 months. That means an extra 4 hours a month, or maybe 1 hour a week ...in the vast majority of circumstances, given some planning, this is not much to ask. The head of the department probably knows (and definitely should know) something about this, as it's slightly outside the norm. And they probably signed off on it.

Three (on the other hand), springing this on students after they signed up for, and paid for, and arrived at class, is unfair. Especially since many or most students, depending on the school, work as well as go to school.

And four, if you don't physically have time to take it up with anybody, including your mentor (who I think you implied is in that department?), you're screwed. Make time. If it continues to be unresolved, the department head is next. Unfortunately, if your teacher, your mentor, and your department head disagree with you, then going to the Dean will be totally useless.

And five: You have certain periods of time, during the day, or week, or month, that you can choose to devote to whatever you wish. I understand you have very little free time, but there's rarely any such thing as an inability to make time for something you *have* to do. If the suggested times for this off-campus learning don't coincide with the times you can make available, then why not do a bit of research into institutions which will allow you to do service when you *do* have time? There are still places which function in the wee hours of the night, for example. Or one four-hour Sunday afternoon per month. Then, bring that proposal to your teacher, and see what happens.

Good luck!

*edit* ^+1 to mistergreen. If you can avoid the issue without annoying any of your instructors, all the better. If you're at a big school, switching classes between semesters should be fairly easy. If it's a small school, maybe not so much, but still worth investigating. I went to a small school (<2000), so I pretty much sucked it up when I had to, even after I became an adult student, which is when "life" and "school" didn't overlap nearly as much.

#5 ·
Okay, I understand your position a bit better now. I would not change my previous suggestions, but I would add that:

If you're really sure this is a problem for you, go immediately to your mentor and/or department head. I would still suggest that you go to your instructor with a concrete alternative (something you've discussed with the potential recipient of your service) and see what he/she says. If he/she doesn't agree with the alternative, and that alternative seems to be in line with exactly what the professor wants, then I'd suggest you go to your mentor and/or department head.

A 300-level class, as I said, is an advanced class, regardless of your experiences. In many, or most, cases, being uncomfortable with 1-on-1 interactions may be an acceptable reason to petition an instructor for an alternative assignment. However, in many other cases (sociology, anthropology, psychology, or any civil service or education field, for example), 1-on-1 interaction is (or should be) necessary for graduation (a case worker with zero social skills, for example, is utterly useless to any society). I don't know what your major is, so that inclusion may help.

One more time: drop this class and retake it with another professor if it is at all possible.

#6 ·
It's not going to be offered again until next fall, and I'm supposed to graduate (already two years late) in May... So dropping and re-taking is NOT an option, or I would have done it at the very beginning...

That being said, although my major IS Anthropology, I'm more interested in ethnology (compilation and interpretation of research) than ethnography (the stuff you spend years in other countries talking to people for). My real interest is cyber-social constructs (in-game clans and guilds in MMORPGS and such), but that's not a "thing" yet, so I'm doing what I can. Truly, one's major means nothing anymore.

Anyway, the "project" is over (my 4-page reflection about--due tomorrow--is kind of what prompted this post), and all that's left is the 10-page paper (which isn't horrible by any stretch) due at finals. I'm just concerned that, given the tone of her voice when she bequeathed upon me the privledge of being a tiny bit short on hours, she's going to grade my paper somewhat unfaily.

I already have one teacher who hates me (Long story short, she singled me out in a silent classroom to inform me that I was distracting her by smiling at my computer in the absolute back of the room), whose class I'm afraid for my grade in (despite acing the quizzes so far). I don't really need another. I HAVE been trying, honestly--I could have dropped everything, slept away my Wednesday afternoons, and forged my hours sheet. I'm trying to be honest about this, and I feel somewhat punished for it, plus the threat of "not having a final paper up to par" is just sort of killing my soul a bit.

I keep telling myself "I can do this," but after six years of emotional, financial, and academic stress, I'm ready to give up and become a hobo or a zombie or a bank robber.

#7 ·
Well, you're 5 weeks in. It's too late to have issues with it now. You signed up for the class and have an obligation to finish it or it'll be a waste of money.

Usually having a group of students with the same issue to confront the prof usual helps. If you're the only one, it's tough.

#8 ·
Nobody in the class was expecting or is liking having to cope with the project, but we're actually eight weeks into the semester (we didn't get full info on the project until week 3 anyway), so nobody really has a choice.

I'm coping. I'm just really, really unhappy, since I was told by people who have taken the class before that it was an easy course, which complimented the two 400-levels I was expecting to be (and which are) quite intense. Prof told us this was the first class to have the service-learning requirement, though, so ugh.

#11 ·
I would understand changing a book, topics, etc.; but something that adds so much extra work (because all of this is in addition to weekly article readings/discussion, plus our papers and individual presentations) should be offset or balanced by reducing something elsewhere. I suppose that's just me, though?

If I had been given enough warning to plan properly, I think it's a fine project. High school, though, I'm curious as to how that worked out. Then again, I went to a tiny high school in a relatively poor rural area, so a project like that wouldn't be really feasible, perhaps.

#12 ·
Furthermore, I feel like a total ass now, since after hours of angry writing, my classmate informs me that the paper is due NOVEMBER 28, not October 28. :icon_redf Not sure how I did that.

So. My entire argument crumbles around my ears. I'm still concerned about my final paper, and it's still too late to do anything further regarding changing the assignmnet. Blegh. :icon_neut

Still stressed, but now I'm also angry at myself for flipping out over something that wasn't worth flipping out over at the moment. Yay.

#13 ·
Sorry that you have to deal with all of that - it doesn't sound like fun. If I could be so bold to share 2 thoughts I was having though...

1 - You said it turns out this thing wasn't worth flipping out about. I have been finding out lately that actually most things in life aren't worth flipping out about. Someone said to me yesterday "I have been through so many life threatening and dangerous situations in my life and none of them have ever happened to me." I know it's not always that easy... but if it's any help.

2 - I have found that in hindsight school was actually a lot easier than the real world can be. Somehow it just feels worse at the time. We did projects that we had a week to work on in school that I have a half day or day to do at my job now, and it's actually easier than when I was in school. It will all come together, I'm sure!!

Good luck.

#15 ·
Well, I've always figured that the "real-world" is going to suck worse than college, but at least there you're getting paid instead of paying to be overworked... It will all come together eventually, I guess, I just can't see it.

I work randomly as an adjunct professor...I will say that some specific requirements of the course are mandatory and I cannot waive the requirement for any student or change the details on the requirement. For each course we have 3 mandatory "signature" assignments, these are non-negotiable for me and the student. We also must also incorporate a few additional assignments depending on the course.

I am a believer in field work, for my graduate degree I did over 1000 hours of non-paid volunteer based work relative to my chosen area of study. It sucked...full time student, full time employee, and doing 1000 hours of volunteer work. The thing is...it was hard, but you learn how to manage your time and you get a lot of first hand experience and knowledge that you would never get sitting in a classroom. Class work only barely skims the surface of what you will need to learn to be proficient at a skilled profession...first hand experience is where you learn. Even if your volunteer work is not specifically what you want to ultimately do you can still take a lot of experience from that and apply it in the future.
I understand that courses are REQUIRED to have something to grade (Otherwise, my entire CHL137 course would have been just random Harry Potter discussions), but the "Service-Learning" wasn't anywhere in the course description. That's mostly what gets me, I guess. It was sort of sprung on us out of nowhere.

I know classwork itself does nothing really to prepare you for anything, but I don't feel that the projects we're doing is really valuable experience anyway. One of our options would have had us answering phones, "fundraiser prospecting," and stuffing envelopes, and the other (the one I switched to) has us meeting with some random international student once a week to (as in my case) bake cookies.

I guess I've always had this vision in my head of myself doing some sort of solitary, mind-numbing data-entry for the rest of my life, none of which really requires a whole lot of "experience" dealing with much. :icon_roll

#14 ·
I work randomly as an adjunct professor...I will say that some specific requirements of the course are mandatory and I cannot waive the requirement for any student or change the details on the requirement. For each course we have 3 mandatory "signature" assignments, these are non-negotiable for me and the student. We also must also incorporate a few additional assignments depending on the course.

I am a believer in field work, for my graduate degree I did over 1000 hours of non-paid volunteer based work relative to my chosen area of study. It sucked...full time student, full time employee, and doing 1000 hours of volunteer work. The thing is...it was hard, but you learn how to manage your time and you get a lot of first hand experience and knowledge that you would never get sitting in a classroom. Class work only barely skims the surface of what you will need to learn to be proficient at a skilled profession...first hand experience is where you learn. Even if your volunteer work is not specifically what you want to ultimately do you can still take a lot of experience from that and apply it in the future.

#17 ·
Maybe things are different in the States. When I was in college and taking a course the syllabus for that course was our contract with the prof. It detailed what we could expect for a workload in the course, how things would be graded, that sort of thing.

If this part of the course isn't anywhere in the syllabus and the prof has sprung it on the class then I feel that all of you need to make the prof aware that this is unacceptable. Sure you can grumble about it but nothing will change. Grumble to the right people, at the very least the prof will have to put it in the syllabus and next years students will have a better understanding of what is expected.

There also is your opportunity to express your views with the instructor evaluations. I know its at the end of the term but those things can be devastating for profs.

#19 ·
This happened to me and I was informed by the department head that the university web site for the program I'm in indicates that it is possible to have the service learning portion in SOME classes of the major. It did not specifically say which ones and it is fine print to cover there behind. Before I failed I withdrew from the class. I did find it unfair but like the above post said it is not unreasonable for them to ask this. Don't stress it, time management is priceless set a schedule and get it done.

#20 ·
If this is your worst problem right now.... you're overreacting.

Sorry. But it sounds like you need to understand that in life, things don't always go as we plan. 15 hours over the course of a month or two is nothing. I worked 9 unplanned hours yesterday. That made my day 21 hours long.... It happens. It isn't the end of the world.

It sounds to me that because this is a class you aren't really interested in you don't feel you should have to put in extra work. Think of it this way. You graduate in May. Do the work, do what you have to so you can get by, and get out. Easy?

College isn't just to teach you specific knowledge. Life skills are as key to any of it as anything else. Being able to adjust to a small commitment over a few months shouldn't be this kind of problem. While I'm sure money is tight, you could have taken 1 or two days of work off and been done in just a few days. You say you work that schedule "most days". Well, that means "some days" you don't....

Time utilization and flexibility is no small thing... Between work and school it looks like you have about 42.5 hours of "filled" schedule, with weekends free? So you have time to study. There is no flexibility in your work? By your choice or your employers?

#23 ·
So we're in agreement that this has nothing to so with the class or instructor?

Throwing more money into a bottomless pit of unhappiness isn't going to fill it up or make you happy.

Do you understand how silly the insurance logic is? You could have worked fill time and got benefits too.... Without spending 40 grand a year in education you don't want or need....

#26 ·
Well I know these things now. A significant part of the problem is that I never worked in high school, so I had my 1.29 GPA and nothing else to recommend me to a position anywhere. Nobody would give me a full-time job; not anywhere that gets decent benefits, at least. Either way, it's in the past now. I have to lay in the bed I've made.

Oh man, whoever told you that gave you bad advice. Of course the major matters. Liberal arts degree is notoriously bad for finding jobs after graduation.
I was told "It's how you sell yourself" and that "you don't need a specialized degree unless you're going into a technical field." Since I loathed the idea of doing anything related to math (accounting, economics, etc) and science goes over my head (Huh? Why use K for Potassium?! Periodic what?), I couldn't imagine what else existed in the world of "doing stuff as an adult" that wouldn't be covered by a degree in whatever I wouldn't loathe myself for studying for four (six...) years.

Actually I think I have what might be the perfect job for you.
Teach english in Japan!
Unless you're barred from ever returning there.... in which case you're SOL. j/k!!!
Seriously though, it doesn't require any math and they would prefer english majors but take other majors too. Having an interest in Japanese culture and language is a plus. You'll probably live in a hole in the wall but you can save a surprising amount of money for whenever you want to come back to the states, if you want to come back.
Don't think that you can't do it. You will essentially be acting as a conversational english teacher for advanced english students so the amount of structured "teaching" you have to do is quite minimal. Mostly you'll just be talking in english and correcting grammar / spelling / pronunciation errors.
I would do it if I didn't have a gaggle of kids and a wife at home. My major is criminal justice administration. It could be a lot of fun, look into it.
I've looked into the two prominent programs that do that thing, AEON and JET. Both have gotten outrageously competitive in the last 2-3 years even. One friend my freshman year went to an interview in Chicago for JET. He was one of maybe seventy applicants in the area. Another friend went this past summer; one of over 500 applicants.

I'd love to do something like that, but I hold few illusions about my ability to make it past the interview stages, and I'm hesitant to look into any of the less reputable programs, since I've heard horror stories about programs and districts who warp the system and do horrible things to their exchange teachers. One district took out double the tax they should have, then after telling a teacher that one company was supposed to pay them, not the school directly, nearly got her deported because she defaulted on her rent for too long (which the school was supposed to be providing).

Sooo... Yeeaaah.

tl;dr: I screwed up, I'm aware of this. ¿( ._.)

#25 ·
Actually I think I have what might be the perfect job for you.
Teach english in Japan!
Unless you're barred from ever returning there.... in which case you're SOL. j/k!!!
Seriously though, it doesn't require any math and they would prefer english majors but take other majors too. Having an interest in Japanese culture and language is a plus. You'll probably live in a hole in the wall but you can save a surprising amount of money for whenever you want to come back to the states, if you want to come back.
Don't think that you can't do it. You will essentially be acting as a conversational english teacher for advanced english students so the amount of structured "teaching" you have to do is quite minimal. Mostly you'll just be talking in english and correcting grammar / spelling / pronunciation errors.
I would do it if I didn't have a gaggle of kids and a wife at home. My major is criminal justice administration. It could be a lot of fun, look into it.

#27 ·
I guess having no idea what you want to do and then going to school to figure it out is not the best idea. Any arts degree you get is most likely not going to land you a job when you're done. If you wanted that then making math and science work for you would have been a good idea.

I spent ALOT of money on education, way too much. I have 2 bachelors degrees and they are completely unrelated. The first one was agriculture (pretty easy to get a job actually) and the second one was music. Sure I made the mistake of doing the agriculture degree but it still works for me. I just ended my summer contract and have a nice fat bank account. Now I get to spend the winter playing music! BUT... that arts degree does nothing for me unless I market myself. I have a very successfull string quartet that I started. If I wasn't pushing it and marketing it my arts degree would be an expensive piece of paper on the wall.

#28 ·
I guess having no idea what you want to do and then going to school to figure it out is not the best idea.
Yeah, except that is what the vast majority of students do who go straight from high school to college. They might have an idea of what it is they want to do but often that idea will change many times over before they graduate and then again after they are spit out into the real world.

#30 ·
I think the best advice anybody could give you would be for you to figure out what it is you like in life. What makes you happy what's fun what's exciting that's what you need to do for living. Liking what you do makes all the difference in the world. Remember to sometimes it's the journey and not the destination
Best of luck regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#31 ·
+1

If you are really that into MMORPGs maybe you should go camp out on WoW's (Blizzard) doorsteps, literally or figuratively, until you can get an entry level job there. If you are dedicated and persistent you can move up the ranks into a position that pays better and is more fulfilling for you professionally.

#32 ·
"I don't really need another. I HAVE been trying, honestly--I could have dropped everything, slept away my Wednesday afternoons, and forged my hours sheet. I'm trying to be honest about this, and I feel somewhat punished for it, plus the threat of "not having a final paper up to par" is just sort of killing my soul a bit."
-do you really feel that you will be punished for being HONEST?

or do you feel you will be punished for not doing what was asked of you?

or do you feel you will be graded accordingly to how to how close you came to meeting the expectation?

often times people use words such as "punished" or "unfair" only when they fail to meet the expectation, seldom do these words pop up when their work meets the expectation.

#34 ·
No, I do not feel like my honesty itself is being punished. However, the situation gives the impression that, while I could have probably faked my time sheet and nobody ever been the wiser, that she will look at my paper now, knowing that I "didn't put the effort in", and grade it based on what she thought I did for it, when in all likelihood I will put more effort into this than into many of my other long papers (7 pages in a night once, which got an A and a comment telling me it was "very well thought-out and organized").

I'm afraid that, had I forced my paper and said I finished my 15 hours (or even forged an extra hour or two on top), that she would go "Okay, she put her effort in, it's B grade work." and that be the end of it.
While, having informed her of the situation, and being unable to complete the hours, she will look at my paper and say "She didn't plan well, she is incompetent, and if she had done all of her hours, this might have been A-quality work, but since she didn't do everything she could, it's only a C."

#33 ·
Aah, if only it were that easy, haha. I honestly don't know what sort of job I could take in Blizzard that they would just give me as an entry-level thing that's not actually game design. (Although if I could influence that stupid battlenet system's development/use, I would. Stupid... nrgh. Battlenet=why I'm not playing DiabloIII.)

...Aaaaanyway. I'd love the idea of doing something for myself, going into business as a web designer or something, but I don't feel like I have the skills to do anything like that.

I've also been told that companies will sometimes make positions for people who demonstrate their value, but the very notion sounds somewhat presumptuous, to just go up to someone and say "You need me."

...I am in no way ever going to be a marketing executive...

#35 ·
If you want to do something with software development or web design why not apply that and do some researching and learning on your own. You've at least learned how to apply yourself and learn new things from your college courses and if its truly something you want to do apply yourself and strive for it. Not all the software developers went to college to learn how to do it. There are a ton of people that have learned how to write code and develop software from the internet. If its really what you want then go for it and apply yourself, gotta start somewhere and sometimes thats starting from the bottom up.

#36 ·
The internet got me where I am as far as my HTML/CSS skillz go. I started in on PHP, but I had no application for it. I find myself incredibly frustrated learning things when I don't have an actual problem to solve with it. CSS came easily when I needed to style a single-page web profile without frames (this was a while ago, when frames were actually, you know, used), but I haven't been able to find an application for PHP, so I can't go beyond linking web pages with it.

As for programming, a high-school C++ class taught me everything I know, and I've since been told "That crap is useless, learn [insert their language of choice here]." But again, I have no real application for it, so... I'm not imaginative, and I hate those little "challenges" because they're good practice, but not actually useful for anything.

I know I sound like I'm just making excuses (partially because I am, to an extent), but I just don't have much motivation for anything lately.

#39 ·
I was always told that, upon entering college, either have a good idea of what you enjoy and want to do for the rest of your career and go for that, or if you don't know, get a degree that is in high demand (health related/comp sci/engineering) and fund your eventual fun stuff with the resulting job.

Most anthropology majors I knew stayed in academia, either in the same field or using their bachelors as a way to get into graduate school in a different field. Or got jobs unrelated (waitress/etc.). XD

Could you take a programming class or two at your uni? Or maybe fiddle around in designing simple app games using free software on your own? I know many game companies have hired modders or map creaters without necessarily much or any university experience in development.
So. Funny story. I had a computer science minor for two whole semesters.

But I flunked one course entirely because they had us programming in binary. Legit, typing in ones and zeroes, translating binary integers to signed integers and 1's compliment and 2's compliment and all sorts of insane stuff. Questions on tests like, "What is the 8-bit 2'sComp way of writing the number 37?" and "Add 01011101 to 11010010 and give the answer in Hex."

After I took an incomplete in one class and failed "Fundamentals of Computer Organization (Binary-class)", I gave up. Which sucked, because I struggled through a college algebra course in order to actually get into the prereq for the minor in the first place (Intro to Java, which I aced...) and I wasted so much time and money on it...

#41 ·
So. Funny story. I had a computer science minor for two whole semesters.

But I flunked one course entirely because they had us programming in binary. Legit, typing in ones and zeroes, translating binary integers to signed integers and 1's compliment and 2's compliment and all sorts of insane stuff. Questions on tests like, "What is the 8-bit 2'sComp way of writing the number 37?" and "Add 01011101 to 11010010 and give the answer in Hex."

After I took an incomplete in one class and failed "Fundamentals of Computer Organization (Binary-class)", I gave up. Which sucked, because I struggled through a college algebra course in order to actually get into the prereq for the minor in the first place (Intro to Java, which I aced...) and I wasted so much time and money on it...
So you failed because you did not study the classwork assigned? You signed up for a class that was a Binary class, did you expect different course material? That's like taking Calculus and not expecting to do calculus.

Same issue you are having complications with this class after they laid out what was expected in the syllabus on day one? The instructor said on day one if you didn't have time take it at a later date... Even if it was due nov 28 you are talking a little over a hour a week. Everybody says the instructor is easy, you said all you do is talk about Harry Potter in class, so you have one actual assignment where the instructor gives you the whole semester and you are having issues with it? If you are on the forums you clearly have free time. In a whole semester you couldn't request a day or two off of work if you are truly that busy?

It's one thing to complain about a horrible instructor, it's another to be to lazy to do the required course work that is described in the syllabus on day one... you had a whole semester to make preparations. That is nobodies fault but yourself.

Sorry, I am in college and my biggest pet peeve is when students complain about things that were told to them on day one and try to wiggle out of it. You knew what was expected, it has been your choice not to do it (or withdraw).

#38 ·
Reading through this tells me what I have often thought. Too many people accept that they should go to college, get a degree and live happily ever after.
Sounds like it is time to really take a close look at life. Getting stressed to breaking by something as simple and non-threatening as a college course does nothing to prepare you for real life!
Get a job which you have to keep and work for a tyrant for a few years and then try college again. It will be with a much better idea of what you CAN do when you must.
College degrees and the easy life should not be given. They should be earned!

#40 ·
I know two people that appeared as though they were going no where. The first recently got his first bonus.....one million dollars! I knew this kid his whole life..... He was in college for seven years before my buddy ( his dad) told him to get off the freebe wagon. It was within one year and bam
! He hits it big - why. Because he worked his butt off for free in the beginning and was lucky!

The second did not work for 15 years, drank and played video games. He now makes upward of 200 K a year. They both work in San Francisco for game developers.

True and amazing..for both it was who they knew and being in the right place at the right time. Work for free if you have to for a few months, let a perspective employer see what you have to offer.

I need to hire some people myself. I look for energetic people that have good people skills and no major monkeys ( drugs , depression etc). I really would rather train a person than have to re- teach one, as it is much easier to mold than reshape. Having said that I think you can be a star if you want it and are willing to work it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#42 ·
It sounds to me that you find all the negative in order to avoid actually having to apply yourself. It takes hard work, dedication, deprivation and focus to achieve any goal that you have set for yourself.

What is your 3 month goal?
What is your 6 month goal?
What is your 1 yr goal?
What is your 5 yr goal
What is your 10 year goal?

Once you set goals, you will always be on the right path to getting to wherever you want to be.

#43 ·
Sil, It seems you are getting a few negative responses now..just realize most people don't like "whiners". It seems to me you are getting close to graduation and maybe having alot of jitters about what are you going to do with the rest of your life?

I don't know how old most of your responders are but I'll give you the perspective of someone that is in their 40's and has been working for the same company for over 20 yrs.

I fell into the category of not knowing what I wanted to do with my life when I went to college (actually I did I wanted to move to the florida keys and work for a company called I believe c-quest who at that time was pioneering breeding clown fish for the aquarium industry) however having children and getting married made that impossible and I ended up dropping out with less than a yr to go thinking I would return later. Still hasn't happened.

As I said I have worked for the same company (several changes of ownership) and still don't like my job most days. Needless to say I have worked at every position within the company and now have a partial ownership. If I can offer any advice at all it would be decide what you want to do and enjoy doing and just start and work you r way up the ladder. Looking back you will find life much more fulfilling if you follow this advice.

As far as college degrees go we look at them as the perspective employee has actually stuck with something and finished it making them a better option for hiring as they actually tend to follow-thru and complete a task. This is rather broad and doesnt apply to everyone but for the most part it works.

Also look at where you want to live...I couldnt survive on my salary if I lived in say NYC but here in La I make a decent living, own my house drive new cars, eat out whenever we feel like it and generally have nice things. Its all about cost of living My 2k sq ft house would probably cost twice as much somewhere else if not more, heck in Ca for instance it would probably be closer to 5 times as much.

Just realize yes life isnt always fair, throws lots of curves at you, and generally you get beat up more often than you win, but if you perservere (sp), work hard and go after what you want you will most likely come out ahead in the end :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.