The Planted Tank Forum banner

Transparent Amazon Sword Leaves?

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Zapins 
#1 ·
I think I might have accidentally killed it, just to get that out right off the bat.
I had to break down and bleach my aquarium, and in all honesty I might not have done it right for the plants (I did 20 or 21 parts water to 1 part bleach), but then they had to sit in an unheated bucket with liquid ferts for three days (with a light), due to...a complication with the substrate. The sword is, as of yesterday, back in the tank. The roots look good, no holes in the leaves, just...kinda transparent. Should I expect a full death or will it bounce back? I'll add an image once I get settled.

This image makes it look slightly greener than it is...

See less See more
#2 ·
For clarity -- you bleached the sword itself? Leaves and roots? How long in 20:1 bleach?

I take it the same leaves were OK before that, and this process caused it? I.e. they are not growing in transparent?

If this is from the bleach, about all I have to add is wait and see, and don't expect much. When I've bleached wild-harvested plants, I used about that much, but only for about a minute and then it went in double-dose PRIME water, then single does PRIME water, then tank water. And some of the plants just dissintegrated and died. The ones that lived didn't look much different. My guess is you are on the "dissintegrating" side.

#3 ·
Yup, I did. Um...less than 3 minutes (not for 1, I got distracted by peeps needing to use the bathroom). And I did for sure double maybe even triple dose the prime. It was growing extremely well, no transparency issues. If it's a goner, I'll be sad, but I guess plants are replaceable...next time I'll find something better to use [emoji53]

Edit: The submerged leaves that it originally had when I bought it (basically NO melting as it transitioned, btw) are still mostly solid, but patchy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.