The Planted Tank Forum banner

green blue algae growing on sand...

17K views 52 replies 14 participants last post by  JoraaÑ 
#1 ·
so, why is it growing there and what can i do to get rid of it?? seems to make like a carpet.

#44 ·
~144ml would be the maximum that you would want to use at any one time. As you are spot treating, just keep count of how many syringes of h202 you use and multiply by the volume of the syringe. Given a 5ml syringe (easy to come by) about 28-30 syringes at one time would be the max you would do.

Yeah, you could dump 144ml in to your tank as a major "nonspecific" dose. I wouldn't do it with inverts in the tank, though. And it can wipe out your fish by burning their gills, especially if you pour it over them. If you use the filter flow to direct the solution over plants/rock with slime, though, you can wipe out a bunch of BGA at once. H202 is cheap...

#47 ·
Like most "additives," h202 can hurt fish and inverts, and there are plants such as anacharis (egeria densa) that it will "melt." If you use it, there are risks. Read everything you can find on it and try to know what you are doing, before you use it.

Experience is a wonderful teacher, but the lessons are sometimes painful.

#49 ·
Well other than a good clean and making sure my water spec is ok i've done nothing to treat this so far and 10 days after my last water change there's barely even a trace of it if anything at all. I'm going to hold off doing anything major at the moment as I seem to be on top of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.