The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY cheapest CREE XPG LED fixture for 55 g

16K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Min 
#1 · (Edited)
there is a lot of talk and debate about LED for freshwater and there is not enough posts or information yet, so here is my 2cents.

I do not want to prove anything or argue how many watts per gallon there should be because it all too much calculation and guessing.
I bought a used 55 gal tank with stand and canopy and the lights were regular 2x 15w flourensic bulbs. obviously was not enough to grow anything.
after looking at some possible light options i could not come up with anything less than $120 for 4xT5 used fixture at my LFS. the thing even did not fit in my canopy, so i decided to see what happens with DIY led.

to keep this short this is what i have:
Mean Well LPC-60-1050 constant current driver $26+ship 6 = 32$ from rapidled.com
8 x
CREE XP-G R51B 7000K 350LM Emitter with 16mm Base $5.71 x8= $45.68
from dealextreme.com (free shipping but takes forever)

later i found a better source than above for LED it is http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/ the site is legit and i currently bought LED's there 2 times. Original factory and at even better price. cost of shipping is more, but if you can "pool" with someone or consider its definetely comes out of factory its well worth it.

picked up 36 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 1/8 in. Aluminum Flat Bar at local Home depot for another $8 for heatsink.

soldering kit at local Radio shack was another 9.99$
Having fun soldering -FREE
wires, plug and connectors from various house hold items -FREE
so roughly $96 total.

i just spread LED "evenly" on the aliuminum rod 4-5 inches apart. oh i forgot to put in some thermal glue for $2 that i got from dealextreme also.

now as far as light goes. you can see for yourself

https://picasaweb.google.com/mindei/Akvariumas#

it tried to see how it will progress and if thats going to be enought light and so far i do not see any need for additional LED at all.
I had to start using excel since there was algea burst once i start using the lights.
now water wisteria seems to be taking over the tank.
My personal thought is that going with lots of LED and running them half power is fine also, but why should i invest money in something im only gonna use half of it.

More pictures added Mar 8th

See less See more
#27 ·
the 200g lights are done, but seems like we going to convert it to reef. we just got additional blue cree's to add and about to set it all up on the tank. just for color right now. tank is really bright with white if powered up. going high tech, with morning day evening setups. just to get 200gal started as reef cost some $$$.
since never had a salt water we started a 5 gal nano tester.

#31 ·
Out of curiosity would you happen to have any more info about the 200g set up? As far as drivers, specific leds, the heatsink. If you have it I can PM you for details.

You're 55 is looking pretty nice. The moonlights really do a good job of lighting up that tank!

#34 ·
Out of curiosity would you happen to have any more info about the 200g set up? As far as drivers, specific leds, the heatsink. If you have it I can PM you for details.

You're 55 is looking pretty nice. The moonlights really do a good job of lighting up that tank!
we had a set up 4 rows of 28 cree xpg, with 14 crees on 1 Meanwell ELN-60-48D driver. so total of 8 driver.
The tank is 78x24x24 (200x60x60cm). for heatsinks we used the aluminum showed in pics before added PC fan on the end to cool it off. so its blowing inside the tube. the 112 crees was an little over kill :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.