The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do you plant with tank empty or full?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  mitchfish9 
#1 ·
About to replant my tank later today, no fish in it, just wondering, how everyone else plants?

Do you plant with tank empty or full??

#6 ·
The only time I plant empty is if I'm doing a dry start method for carpet plants or moss. Otherwise, I plant at half to 3/4 full. Benefits:

-immediately lets me know if plant is secured, floaters are obvious
-lets me see how the final planting is looking if stems/leaves are upright rather than drooped over
-taller specimens aren't constantly in my way as the water bouys them up so I can reach under and around them.
-easier to fill the rest of the way without disturbing the work I've just done.
-no worry about drying out if I decide to take a break or sit and stare at the tank for half an hour trying to figure out a problem.

#7 ·
I use MTS/Sand cap my initial plantings are done with damp (not soaked) substrate. I find this to be the cleanest method for dirtied tanks. I plant crypts/swods deep then the day after filling the tank I gently pull them up to get the crowns a bit above the substrate. By waiting the MST/Sand has had time to fully settle.

#10 ·
If you do it with the tank full, make sure you leave enough headspace for sloshing of water and for your arms to go in the tank; more of an issue on smaller tanks. Not fun going in to work on a plant and realizing that your hands and forearms displace enough water to overflow the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.