The Planted Tank Forum banner

n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal - New Update 4-7-2013

43K views 348 replies 48 participants last post by  jerrytheplater 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

This is my first journal. Just rescaped today so I figured, I will start a journal to document the growth and development of the tank. I love low maintenance tanks because I do not have time to manicure and rescape every week.

Filter: 75 Gal Sump

Light: 2x 80 Watts T5, Finnex Rays 2 LED for 8 hours

Water Change: It is hooked up to my automatic water change system so it gets 8% water change per day.

Fert: Modified IE through my auto dosing system.

CO2 : Pressurized CO2 system, it goes on 1 hrs before the light is on and off 30 minutes before the light goes off.

Substrate: ECO Complete mixed ADA Aquasoil Amazonian

Fish: Few Ginga Rubra guppies, few cardina tetra, a few otos (started with 30 of them), a couple of cories.

Plants Updated 1-18-2013:
  • C. Uenoi
  • C. Keei 'Jambusan'
  • C. Keei 'Bau'
  • C. Nurii 'Rompin'
  • C. Bullosa 'Pakan'
  • C. Bullosa 'Sarakei'
  • C. Bullosa 'Bario'
  • C. Nurii Pahang Mutated
  • C. Kota Tingii
  • C. Auriculata Betong
  • C. Auriculata 'Tiger Stripe' Pakan
  • C. Cordata KR01
  • C. Hudoroi
  • C. zukalii
  • C. sp Bukit Ibam "Yellow Ring"
  • C. Cordata 'Rosanervig' with veins
  • C. Minima 'Gasser'
  • C. sp rompin
  • C. aponogetifolia
  • C. Affinis 'Red'
  • C. Purpurea
  • C. Ideii
  • Alternanthera sp. 'variegated'
  • Jumbo Trident Java Fern,
  • Taiwan Moss
  • Fissiden
  • Microsorum pteropus sp. 'red'

See less See more
#182 ·
Once he moves to his new home, I am hoping that Hung will come back at full force with emersed setups

Good luck with everything man

Xue
Thanks Xue!

I will be back with 3x the fun. I want to add two 300 gallon planted tank and emersed setups.

I will definitely do a couple of emersed setups, I just need to figure out how to incorporate them into my automatic water changing system.

#183 ·
holy cow! two 300g! I am hoping you are going to grow slow growing/low maintainence plants. You'll break your back trimming if you do fast growing stems.

Please do share your ideas on your automatic water changing system. I got all my home imporvement chores done and I am already gathering materials for my green house.

#184 ·
holy cow! two 300g! I am hoping you are going to grow slow growing/low maintainence plants. You'll break your back trimming if you do fast growing stems.

Please do share your ideas on your automatic water changing system. I got all my home imporvement chores done and I am already gathering materials for my green house.
I like big tanks!!! Easier to keep good water quality and tons of space for planting!

Yes, all slow growing/low maintenance plants. No more stem plants for me.

I might do a write up on the water changing system if I have time. But it is pretty easy and straight forward.

#186 ·
Hung,

Good luck on your move! Are your 300 gallon aquariums going to be glass or acrylic? It would make a difference in weight. Personally, I like the idea of a 300 but the reality is something different. Will you be able to easily reach bottom to work with the plants? I know you are thorough and plan well, so I am just wondering how you will approach this?

Klaus

#189 ·
Hung,

Good luck on your move! Are your 300 gallon aquariums going to be glass or acrylic? It would make a difference in weight. Personally, I like the idea of a 300 but the reality is something different. Will you be able to easily reach bottom to work with the plants? I know you are thorough and plan well, so I am just wondering how you will approach this?

Klaus
I can't lift glass!!! It will be acrylic! I should be able to get to the bottom as it will only be 24" tall. It has similar dimension to 180gallon tank except it is 2 ft longer.

I haven't work out all the details yet as I need to find/buy the new place. The plan will be determined by the new place layout.

Anyone want to buy a 3 bedroom bungalow in Parma, Ohio? Everything is updated and move in ready! Also has a small insulated and heated fishroom?

#190 ·
Dang Hung, good luck on your move. I finally got a Flamingo to grow emergent and just plunged it a few days ago. I hope it doesnt melt. I am planning to keep it submerged for the summer to see how it does. Heres a pic from a month ago of my big one. The tiny one still hasnt moved :(

Thanks! Wow that is a beautiful crypt! I am utterly jealous!!!

#200 ·
Big weekend for this tank and my fishroom. They will get a make over. The tank will get a new automatic dosing pumps, replanting/rearranging, filter cleaning, and new light bulb. I've already changed the regulator last night to a new stainless dual stage regulator with swaglok parts and ideal needle valve. Works like a charm. With these additions, it is almost full automatic. All I have to do is feed the fish, 4-6 months clean filter, every month refill my fertilizers.

My fishroom will get reconfigured with 8x 33gal long, new plumping, new air lines, additional insulation, and one emersed tank.

I will try to take before and after pictures.

#202 ·
Here are a few pictures of my fishroom. It has been butched up a little because I went from 20+ tanks to 10 tanks in there now.

A few pictures of materials:

Demo completed: I had to keep 4 tanks running as holding tanks for the fishes.

Rebuilding... installed racks for the tanks.

Drain rough-in completed.

Water line and valves installed.

Air piping installed.

Tanks placed, leveled, and fillin water.

The room is actually done. I have cleaned up the room. It is much neater and open. I will try to get a few pictures tonight or so.

Next phase is to start my automatic fert dosing for the 180 gal tank.

The whole process has taken more time than anticipated. So the 180 gal tank has been neglected.

#203 ·
Wow... it has been awhile since the last I updated this thread. I have neglected this tank for a couple of months now.

The bad news: Due to my negligent of this tank, all my crypts lost its leaves. I only lost a few crypts but I have lots of doubles. My new regulator out of the box, crap out and I stop fertilizing so that didn't help. With no CO2 and fert, the tank got over grown with algae. Last my filters were cogged with dirt.

The good news: I finally finished with auto fert dosing this weekend; hooked up the tank to the new auto water changing system; and I did a big cleaning of removing all the algaes. I will wait for a couple of weeks for the plants to recover before I rescape.

I will try to take some pictures tonight. Haha.. this time for real.

#206 ·
Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of my completed fishroom as of today. Still need to caulk around the edges to eliminate/minimize air leaks for better insulation.

My water changing system: Real simple system... water goes through a regulator to reduce to 20 psi, then go into sprinkler shut off/on control, then run through 3 filters to remove particulars, then onto the tanks with shut off/on valves.

Auto fertilizer dosing system: One bucket is NPK and the other is CSM+B. They are pumped through by two peristatic pumps. It will inject 100ml of fert each day for 6 days (3 days for NPK and 3 days for CSM+B). From my calcaluation, this premixed solution should last me 3 months or so.

Here are some pictures of the tank. Kind of embarrassed to post these pictures. Not my proudest moment for this tank.

Full tank shot:

Left tank shot:

Center tank shot:

Right tank shot:

#213 ·
Oh how cool, and what a shame, all wrapped in one emotion. Need to see that tank bounce back, Noodl3. Sweet set up going, though, and I love the autodosing system!
Thanks :) If everything is working the way I have it planned. The tank should bounce back in a couple of months or less. Fingers crossed...

#209 ·
Your fish room and those c cordata rosanervigs are looking good Hung. It's good to neglect your tank and have a crypt meltdowns once a while. When the crypts are stressed, they have the tendency to send runners. A lot of runners. I've seen this happen to a lot of my crypts when I neglect them.

Xue

#212 · (Edited)
Your fish room and those c cordata rosanervigs are looking good Hung. It's good to neglect your tank and have a crypt meltdowns once a while. When the crypts are stressed, they have the tendency to send runners. A lot of runners. I've seen this happen to a lot of my crypts when I neglect them.

Xue
Thanks...I think I have found the right Rosanervig strain that will keep the "vein" look growing submerged. They are not as pretty as emersed specimens but still very stunning.

I have noticed that too. Also noticed there is a breaking point for them. If there is too much neglect, then extreme melting occurs and crypts are lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.