The Planted Tank Forum banner

300+ planted tank on top of a mountain in AK

7K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  laqu 
#1 ·
Last weekend I drove to the top of a mountain to hang out with one of my friends/customers. This massive tank sits in his living room. I was truly blessed to help him assemble this aquarium. It took months to get it going and we are in the works breaking it down in the next few months and rescaping. He wants that "show" look we all know, and has the means to pull it off.

Specs:
300 ish 10' tank

4x catalina 150w pendant fixtures with ADA NA bulbs
2x Fluval FX5's
Closed loop pump with integrated CO2 reactor and UV sterilizer
Auto water changer and automated fertilizer dosing

More to come...

See less See more
#8 ·
I find them interesting. Makes it look like a pano hanging in frames on a wall. Like you'd see in an art gallery.

I like the gravel also.

Especially if the plants are in net pots with top soil.

#10 ·
Puffer is nice.

I'd remove the wood rimmed lip around the tank, it prevents access and only moderately reduces light spray.

I'd also raise the lights up to parallel to the roof beams.
Better to have lower intensity and better spread. You could make a planted tray in the rear for house plants and have the roots in the tank water.
Or just a row of pots for the house plants not linked to the tank also.
I'd likely get rid of the powerheads and get 1-2 Vortech's.

you can reduce the light overspray into the room and remove the wood lip by placing some wood to block the light spray coming down from the beams there, then stopping about 6-12" above the water.

This will reflect the light down and back. This will keep the front glass cleaner and allow much better tank access. Also will make the house plants grow better if you place them along that back edge. It would act like a large full length lamp shade basically.

You need hardscape materials.

#17 ·
Oh wow! Im always a fan of tips from Tom Barr. These are all great ideas and I will pass them along to the customer. Several things you listed above I have already pitched to him but at the end of the day its his tank and I can only do so much.

Oh, its Alaska, we have LOTS of hardscape materials. Both him and I have piles of rocks and driftwood outside our houses...under snow though. The rescape will not disappoint.

I gotta know. Is it still on the casters???

Tank looks great, am sure the next version will be just as nice. Do you get to help with it?
Yup, he is still running the Fx5's. When all of his materials arrive him and I will be doing it all in one weekend. Im stoked.
The Amazonia is gonna look sweet! Is he changing out his fish too?

Are you usually working on saturdays at the store?
Not sure. I have been trying to get him to cut down on how many plecos he has simply because they tend to uproot carpets before they get a chance to root.

Yup, every Saturday.

Wow makes my little tank look like a puddle

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ha, mine too.

Absolutely awesome!
Right!?

certainly not in love. don't like the trim or the light placement. too much spill over into the room for me.

it's huge and it's interesting... but it looks so out of place.
Its a tank build bud. Your tank under your Tv looks out of place bahahaha. I couldn't resist.

Anyways we don't mess around so the end product will seal the deal.

#19 ·
You know his tank is big enough he could actually pull it off. Imagine a cold water trout tank with a big set of moose antlers, rocks, and driftwood. Throw in some native plant species. Gives me shivers!

Land locked salmon...

#21 ·
Well that is certainty unique. Has anybody done that before? Antlers would certainly look amazing covered in moss, it would almost look like a green velvet.

#22 ·
i love the shape, and i like the trim (and i'm a rimless lover) ...

WOW...

can't wait to see the re-do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.