The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hi from Virginia!

Tags
2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Green_Flash 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Planted Tank! My name is Izzy, and I've been keeping fish since 2007. Only in the past year have I been adventurous enough to put any plants in my tanks aside from anubias and java fern. So while I consider myself a good fishkeeper, I'm still a novice at plants. My current tanks are (in order of oldest to newest) 55 gal goldfish tank (no plant there lol!), 10 gal divided betta tank (two of them), and a 29 gal planted community that I'm stocking now. All of my tanks are low-light, low-tec, and I struggle with algae in two of my four tanks. I think my main problem is water movement, and I'm taking steps to fix that.

I joined this forum at the recommendation of two fishkeeping friends on another forum. They really like you guys! So I decided to come join the planting fun! :icon_bigg

EDIT: I also forgot to add I have a koi pond, but I don't really plant it. I just kinda let mother nature take over that part.

#7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Unfortunately I'm in southern VA so the drive to Richmond would be a hefty one. I'm much closer to North Carolina than anything else. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a fishkeeping desert as I can't get good plants or fish here.

I'm loving the pictures of tanks in the low-tec section! It's inspiring to know that beautiful tanks can be made that way!

#8 ·
Hi there! I'm in Christiansburg, so I know how you feel - everyone seems to be in the Richmond/northern Va area. Are you anywhere near the Christiansburg/Blacksburg/Roanoke area?

#10 ·
Unfortunately, no. I'm down near Martinsville, but I went to college in Blacksburg. I get up there from time to time to visit friends still in college and professors. Know any good stores in the area? Literally all I have here is Petsmart and Petco. I'm looking for some kuhli loaches.

#11 ·
If you're ever planning a trip up here, you can call C & P Pets in Christiansburg, they special order fish for me all the time - the discounts are good if you're buying in groups of 12, 15, etc - whatever the price breaks are for that fish (in case you are getting a school of something, or want to share an order with friends). Other than that all we have is a Petsmart, although there are a few mom & pop fish stores in Roanoke, too.

#14 ·
I do remember you and the fat goldfish! Glad to hear they are doing better. Kinda like human, they have to watch what they eat in the winter, too!

If you're ever planning a trip up here, you can call C & P Pets in Christiansburg, they special order fish for me all the time - the discounts are good if you're buying in groups of 12, 15, etc - whatever the price breaks are for that fish (in case you are getting a school of something, or want to share an order with friends). Other than that all we have is a Petsmart, although there are a few mom & pop fish stores in Roanoke, too.
I've actually been to that pet store and thought them pretty good. Last time I was there they did have kuhli loaches, but I haven't been back to check in like a year or so. I need to go check them out again when I'm up in the are in a few weeks. Thanks for the tip!

#15 ·
You'll find they've improved since last year - larger selection, MUCH cleaner tanks and store, too. On Mondays they do a BOGO on any fish under $5.00.

#16 ·
if your ever in Virginia Beach Animal Jungle has a decent plant selection and quality fish non chain indepentdant pet store, closer than Richmond, and Tropical Fish Safari is good too, TFS has some great fish people in there owner is a marine biologist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.