The Planted Tank Forum banner

new to fish keeping but really want ADA style aquarium.

2K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  robbowal 
#1 ·
Hi everyone i already know this is a very good and helpful site as i tryed to get into hoby a while ago but certain cercumstances meant i didnt have time , i do currently have a set up fluval spec aquarium but i really would like a larger one i love the open looks of the ada aquarium but they are very expensive here in uk, i like this aquarium but maybe a bit longer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9eb-y6I0HI&feature=channel&list=UL

like i say i would like it a bit longer, i want a carpet and to have a shoal of neon tetras and maybe a betta, anyone know any places to get a great open top tank in uk thats similar to ada or do!aqua ? or would any glass aquarium do ?

also thinking about adding Co2 as never done this and make tanks look so lush.

any help would be great
thanks
Dean

#6 ·
thanks for that mate quite like the size of that tank but still having a look but dont want something to big but also not too small i love the low open tanks, will keep you posted

quite like the ones a bit larger aswel like 90cm long and 45 heigh and 45 wide i want a shoal of neon tetras and maybe a betta and a nice carpet iwugumi style tank what do you recoment for tank size ?

thanks Dean

#9 ·
ok so decided i want a ada 60-f as they look great and nice size to have shoal of tetras and nice carpet, this one looks great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkQFfiW_aL4&hd=1 hope with some help i could get that look, never used c02 though so i will be new to that ,anyone know were to purchase these tanks or same dimentions here in uk ? i will check out the ukaps website also see if they know

thanks Dean

#10 · (Edited)
Dean

you mentioned poseidons palace but have you tried Aquariums ltd they also do custom optiwhite aquariums and "ADA" style cabinets.
check the link.
http://www.aquariums.ltd.uk/Braceless List.asp
I believe from reviews that there is a Long lead time with manufacture but the results are better than average.
I am about to order from them soon when my job lets me have some time off !!!

#11 ·
thanks rob they dont seem to have correct dimentions and think will be expensize to build on site, its only a small tank i want its •Dimensions: 60cm X 30cm X 18cm (24in X 12in X 7in)
•glass thickness: 6mm
thats the ada 60-f
thanks again will have a look
Dean

#13 ·
thanks qwedfg yeah i love the look of that tank and would love to have a lovely aqua scape for people to be gelous over when come round lol hopefully goes well and learn a lot, i really want to make a co2 paintball setup aswel , still looking at were to purchase a ada 60f in the uk or anything of the same size, will have to see what hardy plants there is to do a lovely carpet

thanks and any help welcome
Dean

#14 ·
thanks qwedfg yeah i love the look of that tank and would love to have a lovely aqua scape for people to be gelous over when come round lol hopefully goes well and learn a lot, i really want to make a co2 paintball setup aswel , still looking at were to purchase a ada 60f in the uk or anything of the same size, will have to see what hardy plants there is to do a lovely carpet

thanks and any help welcome
Dean
Dean try The Greenmachine (http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/aquatics/aquariums-stands ) if you really must have ADA but Aquariums Ltd can do custom sizes as well as what is avertised on the site just email them for a quote.

Robert

#15 ·
have sent email asking mate so thanks, not bothered about ADA just want the dimentions for that tank as really like the low height etc 60cm X 30cm X 18cm (24in X 12in X 7in) with enheim filters can you put inline heater ? can you do this with fluval externals ? i will want to add glass pieces going into the tank to look nice and clean is it easy to find ones that fit

also just founf on the green mahine this page
http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/news/aquascaping-whole-new-dimension might go for a slightly bigger one maybe 75cm very expensive though so see what the other store says back
thanks
Dean

#16 ·
Eheim do a range of heated filters they normally have thermo in the product name you can run a hydor inline heaters on either Eheim or Fluval filters (dont like them myself have always used Eheim thermos) dont know if there is one in the size you will need, your tank is only just over 30Ltr i would try a Eheim 2224 (dead silent and reliable) and it will give you around 25x turnover (i would throttle it back if you use it on your tank)
for the glass ware first check what size tubing you will have (depends on the filter you end up getting) and then search EBay for Lily pipes (the external measurement of the pipe will need to be very close to/ the same as the internal size of your tubing)

fyi the smallest hydor inline is a 200W which if it sticks on WILL cook your tank just something to be aware of.

HTH
Robert

#17 ·
like the sound of the filter and heater in one thats a good idea, struggling to find them here in uk, any links ? i think more filtration the better but wouldnt want huge flow, would this filter and heater you mentioned be sufficent ? seems to be from what i read

thanks dean

#18 · (Edited)
like the sound of the filter and heater in one thats a good idea, struggling to find them here in uk, any links ? i think more filtration the better but wouldnt want huge flow, would this filter and heater you mentioned be sufficent ? seems to be from what i read

thanks dean
Oops got the model number wrong should be 2322 they are around the £170 mark but way more than you would need i used to run one on a 140Ltr set up with a power head for extra flow. the 2224 is the larger canister (three trays of media as opposed to the two in the thermo version) with eheim the canister sizes get taller and not wider in a given series of filter.
http://www.fishfurfeather.com/eheim...to-150-litres-p-2304.html?manufacturers_id=11
but no media is included in this price that should run you another £25 or so the media
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-filter-media-set-for-22222324-p-1118.html

Robert

#19 ·
thinking about getting a hydor inline heater as it works out a lot cheaper and dont have too much money to spare at the minute, what external filter you think fluval 206 ? then a 200w inline heater ? looking on ebay etc to try get bargin, also what lights would you advise for 38L aquarium ? seen loads of ppl using hanging lights and that looks good any advise ? want a nice carpet and will be using co2 aswel

Thanks Dean

#20 ·
I have an old Hagen Glo T5 Light unit that is 24" long if you are interested with some spare bulbs. drop me a PM for more details if you like.

#23 ·
Dean
With the light you can suspend it around 8-10" above and it will give you plenty of light. if you want it its yours for the cost of shipping (it can only be suspended as i don't have the legs anymore) and it has two new bulbs in and two spare i think.
If it were me i would save for the Eheim as it will outlast your tank (IE when you want to go bigger it will manage no problem).
on the heater i would buy new that way if it messes up you have some comeback on it. the 200W is way more than you need and i second Jedi_Pizzas advice for a temp controller, for the Fluval i cant comment as i haven't used one but if i were to get one for that size it would probably be a 206. but to be honest by the time you get all that you are close to the price of the Eheim anyway.

#22 · (Edited)
Hi Dean

I'm just setting up something similar, but a little smaller. I picked up a new Hydor 200w inline heater cheap on the big auction site. Be aware that the 200w and 300w have different sized connectors, so you might be best off choosing your filter first, then the heater. I am running a eheim 2213 and the 200w fits that tubing like a glove

I'm not sure how accurate this is, I'm new too, but there is a rough rule of 5watts per gallon when it comes to heaters. If you're setting up a smallish tank then the 200w will be more than enough?

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is to recommend you get some sort of temperature controller for the heater. A week or so ago there were a few threads about heaters that stuck on, so it's a worthwhile addition imo. I paid 20 quid for mine.

All the best!

#24 ·
thanks a lor rob i will have a loook into the light and thanks a lot for all the help, i would only buy new off the bay but only if get cheap enough, the green machine has ADA 60F in october so might get one from there and i now know about filters and heaters and currently looking into paintball co2 setup so any info on that would be good, struggling to find an adapter from paintball canister to regulator any idea ? also is it best to get a reg with solenoind or just leave on 24/7 ? found thins page and i want to do something similar http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115850

thanks Dean

#25 ·
Re Regulators
the US ones use a CGA 320 fitting (us standard) this will not fit the cylinders you can get in the UK (They are DIN 447 Fitting) AFAIK.
Much easier to get a reg and selonoid in the UK and use a 2KG Fire extinguisher as a gas source (they are around £26 on E bay) Also Aquariums Ltd do a nice reg and selonoid that is push fit
the regs also from HK on Ebay will work in the UK as they were a british colony and have adopted some standards from UK (Get one with adjustable pressure though as it makes life easier) the selonoid will help your Co2 last longer as it is generally not needed at night
let me know if you want any more info on this as i looked into it long and hard when i started using Co2.

Robert

#26 · (Edited)
CO2 Carbon Dioxide Solenoid Regulator from CO2Supermarket.co.uk

Welcome to our eBay store

- Brand New, boxed Solenoid Regulator

- Stock available for immediate despatch from the UK - no lengthy lead-times or costly overseas deliveries

- Dual pressure gauges

- Voltage; worldwide universal 220-240v, two-pin plug

- All UK orders include integrated mains plug socket (see photos). Note: mains adapters not included for overseas orders, only UK.

- Regulator can accommodate pressures up to 65 bar

- Industry standard JIS m22-14 nut thread (22mm diameter), compatible with a range of CO2 cylinders, including UK fire extinguishers.

- Easy to setup and adjust

- Highly efficient and designed for energy saving

- Suitable for use for use in aquariums and for home brewing

the nut's thread is a JIS m22-14 which is the industry standard in the UK, Europe, Japan, and Taiwan.

it says hsl on the front with 2 black dials wont let me ad like correctly ,is this a decent solenoid and reg u think ? i know Fire extinguisher is easir but just really like the look of paintball tanks like this one http://www.store.justpaintball.co.uk/air-co2/co2/16-oz-co2-bottle.html

what would be easier to get re-filled ? also want paintball canister as limited space and they are a little smaller

thanks rob

#27 · (Edited)
if you really want to go with paint ball canisters then first check if you can get them refilled nearby.
the reason i use FE is it is 2KG of gas and they are cheap (around £25) paint ball may look good but it may be a pain to have to refill it all the time as they are around 500G of gas i think.
As to space constraints the FE is only 20" tall and 5" wide so not that big.
for a regulator have a look at the ones on Ebay that have adjustable output and the selonoid attached from hong kong (they tend to be around £50-60) this is about as easy as it gets with out the huge markups in the UK it is baiscally plug and play.
below is what under my tank the space is limited but it all fits including the Cerges reactor.
like i said if you want more infor just ask

Attachments

#29 ·
at 25 a pop i tend to just buy as i need as i am working like a dog at the moment and havent had time to go to the only place that i know in london to refill (wholesale tropicals in Bethnal Green).
my tank is around 170ltr and the Co2 lasts around 4/5 months

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.