The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hello Hurricane!!!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  frmrreefr 
#1 ·
Hi to all threatened by hurricanes! I was just interested to hear some of your hurricane stories in regards to your tanks. I live in the lower section of Louisiana 1/2 mile away from the Mississippi River. What preparations have you made for your tanks, and have you lost a tank to this natural disaster?

#2 ·
Hi!
I live in Puerto Rico and we got lots of hurricane activities, I already pass two hurricanes with my tanks. The first time the tanks were fish only so I made a big water change before the hurricane and put battery operated pumps to the tanks when the electricity went out and we were almost two weeks without electricity and about 5 days without water. The second occasion was last august and the tanks were full planted so I just made a water change before the hurricane and when the electricity went out I just put the battery pumps at night during the 9 days with out electricity(just for precaution) . Our house got lost of natural light so the light was no really a problem. I cut the Co2 and ferts during that time and wait a little after the hurricane for doing another water change because the water quality cold not be the best. The tanks survived the hurricanes.

#3 ·
I also do the pre-hurricane water change, and then stick an airpump/airstone on a computer UPS. An air pump could run for days on even a cheap UPS. Also, definitely turn off the CO2.
The only thing I've lost to a hurricane was a Fluval. Came back from evacuation to find the impeller seized up. Must have been either trapped air or the constant on/off the power tends to do after they start the grids back up.

#4 ·
I've been in central Florida for nearly a dozen years. Hadn't seen any real hurricane activity until last year, when we got the tri-fecta. Fortunately, only the first one caused any power loss, and it was only for around 21 hours.

I did the prehurricane 50% water change and stopped feeding the fish. But, power wasn't really out long enough for too much of a concern.

How close to the coast do you live? I was amazed at how much less damage was in the Orlando-area versus those closer to the coast. Still significant damage in certain areas, but no where near the devestation at "ground zero".

Brian.

#6 ·
I live by the Mississippi River about 25 mile from the Gulf Outlet. My parish(county) is shaped like a bowl by Hurricane Protection Levees and flooding is always a threat. If a hurricane was to come up the mouth of the river, we would be screwed. We also have to worry about New Orleans blowing up certain levees to flood us to help New Orleans. They have done it in the past(Betsy).

#7 ·
Oh Lord, the Hurricanes! I unfortunately had a reef setup at the time and had a great deal of livestock die on me due to the power outages, Fortunately though I had about 100 gals of RO/DI water reserved and did water changes every day while the power was out. I had some battery operated pumps and air pumps and was still not able to keep all of my corals and fish alive! I pray to God that this year wont be nearly as bad as last, but at least I don't have fragile salties to deal with!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.