The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need controller reccomendations

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Forumsnow 
#1 ·
Well, I went ahead and ordered a set of the buildmyled.com lights for a new tank I'm setting up, but now I've got to get some ideas on good controllers. I'd like to be able to dim the LEDs, turn them on and off entirely, and run a heater at a minimum. It seems like the Apex is a good product, but it also seems a lot more capable than what I need. I'm not saying I couldn't figure out how to use the extra features, but I don't want to intentionally over buy unless that's all that's out there.

#3 ·
From BML re: how their drivers work:
Hi Jeff. Our MDS-1 dimmer is a 0-10V pot-based dimmer that uses the voltage source from our drivers.

Let us know if we can help on any future projects!

Nick
I'll get back to you on this...which will lead to the PWM controller...here:
http://www.rapidled.com/dimming-accessories/

BUT contact BMLed and see if it can be dimmed using PWM (pulse width modulation) which is possible w/ some drivers.. all this will depend on their driver configuration...sounds confusing.

As to on/off that could be as simple as:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11304

#5 ·
From what I understand, the BML drivers are designed to have power in, and then handle dimming on their own through the 0-10v source. I cant find anything about being able to use them with another dimming option. It seems like driving the 0-10v source is easy, it's just the automation that's a little pricey.

So everyone seems to like the Apex? I've been looking at the Junior with a variable speed module. That should let me run the Led's, a heater, and cycle a water polishing filter on and off once a day.

#6 ·
Sorry a bit around your question.. I had to find out Exactly what the V1/V2 ports do... This is what seems to be "the" answer.. outputs a controllable 0-10V... making it compatible w/ ONE of the control methods available to a Meanwell Driver (sorry don't know EXACTLY which drivers are used by Buildmyled.) IF it is a certain series of driver they can use alternate methods of control such a PWM expanding your control options..and prices..
What I was told by BML is that there manual dimmer was nothing but a pot that was powered internally by a 10v reference source..

in a sense these 2 methods are a bit contradictory..APEX 0-10 V signal vs.. Manual 10K pot.. not sure of the discrepancy..
http://www.reefs.com/blog/2012/12/1...-lights-with-neptune-systems-apex-controller/

As to the Apex, love computers, hate cell phones.. Tech overkill sort of.. Applies to the Apex though it does look ..err.. fascinating..

all you currently seem to need is an auto dim/bright.. timer and off..
and all you need to do that is push a 0-10V control signal through the "Apex" harness for the BML...

All you have to find out is it also compatible w/ PWM on the Apex cable.. I'm going to write to them I think.. IF so, your options get cheaper, though of course not as fancy..

#7 ·
I use a reefkeeper lite with their alc to control my buildmyled. Will dim for up to 90 minutes from 0 to whatever percent max you want. Mine ramps from 0-30% for 90 minutes then stays at 30% for 8 hours. Then dims from 30% to 0 for another 90 minutes. I could not be any happier with my setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.