The Planted Tank Forum banner

55 Gallon Jungle...**UPDATE W/ PICS**

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  TankZen 
#1 · (Edited)
Still a work in progress...comments/criticism???

Size 55 Gallon

Date Started 2006

Lighting Odyessea 4x54 watts t5ho

Equipment Fluval 305 canister, Fluval 4plus internal, 150watt heater

CO2 Paintball co2 w/ 1bps diffused through a glass diffuser

Substrate Aquariumplants.com Black Diamond

Parameters Ph 6.2 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10ppm Ammonia 0

Fertilization EI method-dry dosing

Flora

Aponogeton Crispus-(Wavy Sword)

Egeria Densa-(Anacharis)

Echinodorus Amazonicus-(Amazon Sword)

Echinodorus Tenellus-(Pygmy Chain Sword)

Echinodorus x. Barthii-(Red Melon Sword)

Anubias Nana Petite

Microsorum Pteropus 'Windelov'-(Windlov Java Fern)

Hygrophila Polysperma-(Sunset Hygro)

Hygrophila Polysperma "Rosanervig"-(Rotala Rotundifolia)

Hygrophila Corymbosa "Compact" (Compact Hygro)

Micranthemum Umbrosum-(Baby Tears)

Subwassertang

Cabomba Furcata-(Red Cabomba)

Rotala Macranda-(Red Rotala)...I'm guessing

Fauna Discus, Pristella Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Blue & Gold Mystery Snails

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes...but I don't have algae problems b/c I'm running paintball co2 and dosing ei. My photography skills suck...bad...obviously...everything is vibrant green...I have to figure out how to take pics without them looking like crap...sorry! I'm just using a Fuiji Finepix s1500 on the SR auto setting...maybe I should actually read the manual that came with it...

#8 · (Edited)

**UPDATE**

Still working on figuring out how to use this camera...again photography isn't my strong point...growth in this tank has exploded...chain swords are really filling in fast in the foreground...can't wait until it's completely filled in...

#10 ·
LOL...This is going to sound really dumb...but I have no clue about this camera...I'm going to read the manual and try to learn more about photography...just busy with school f/t, work, family (3 kid's), a pit bull, cat and maintaining 6 tanks...no excuse I know but I'm working on it! Thanks for the advice! :)

#11 ·
Oh...I forgot to mention that I got some pm's asking about my lighting, dosing, co2, etc...so here's the details...

LIGHT FIXTURE:

I have an Odeyssea 4x54watt light fixture set to 9 hours per day...set on a timer for 4 hours in the morning and 5 hours at night (so I can enjoy it before and after work.

FERTILIZATION:
I'm dosing EI with dry ferts...I also find that it's easier for me to pre-measure all of my ferts for each tank on Sunday's and put each amount into one of those 7-day pill container things so that I can just dump and go b/c I don't have much time to sit and measure dosages for each tank everyday.

40-60 Gallon Aquariums

SUNDAY, TUESDAY & THURSDAY:
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04
+/- 1/8 tsp K2SO4

MONDAY, WEDNESDAY & FRIDAY:
+/- 1/8 tsp CSM+B (Trace elements)

SATURDAY:
This is my do nothing and enjoy looking at my tanks day...rest and relax...seriously!

SUNDAY:
Literally every Sunday I do my 50% water changes...faithfully...and I treat with Prime.

CO2:
I have DIY PAINTBALL CO2 (There is a thread in the DIY section posted by Jaggedfurry)
I have it at 1 bubble per second diffused into a nano glass diffuser that I bought off of [Ebay Link Removed] also placed under the filter output.

Filtration: I have a Fluval 305 canister filter and a Fluval 4plus internal filter...each on opposite ends of the tank.

I found that the only time that I have algae issues with this tank is if my timer is on the fritz...as long as I keep everything at consistent levels...I haven't had any problems...but I have to reiterate that I'm obsessed with maintaining my dosing schedule/water changes, etc. I love this hobby b/c it's the only thing that I find that relaxes me when I'm stressed...so I may not have Amano skills...but I can say that I'm in this hobby b/c of the pure enjoyment and relaxation that I get from it...yes...even the water changes...lol.

#13 ·
:eek5: Sorry! Wasn't really getting feedback, comments on my tanks on here so I kind of gave up...but I do have an update for you...not much of a difference and it is a cell phone pic...so please excuse the crappy pic...tank is vibrant green in person...the only thing I do need to start doing is dosing iron to bring out the reds...this tank to me is my crappier tank...but I love it none the less...still dosing EI & running CO2 @ 2 BPS...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.