Am i dosing too much?! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
philipraposo1982
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was more just curious if the level my plants need was going to cause harm.to.my fish.

My fish come before my plants.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

For my own low tech, I looked at what full EI dosing for CO2 injected tank was for each or every other day dosing and took comfort that those tanks did not suffer from algae,fishes and shrimps thrived, and decided to dose this amount once a week.
I know that CO2 is what it is in my tanks without injection or excel or glut ,and that the plant's are getting nutrient's above and beyond fish foods and waste (poop).
This leaves only the lighting to adjust or worry about and so long as I don't try to put plant metabolisim in to high gear with lighting, the plant's thrive.
I change 50% of the water each week out of year's long habit that has served me well.
I clean filters once a month.
So far ,so good.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
philipraposo1982
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
For me the main reason is to reduce nitrates. I have a fairly healthy bio load and in a week it climbs about 15-20ppm so I do a WC to bring it back down.

It also replenishes the minerals in the water and removes organics.

To add to this, I noticed nitrates became more of an issue when I cut my.photoperiod down to 8 hours from 10. At the time I did this to help combat algae and try to find balance. Since then I am back to 9 hours and I am about to push on 10. If everything still looks good and algae is still not visible after about a month I will push for more until a max of 12 hours. Doubt I will see much more than 10-11 hours though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.